Harley Ultra Classic Oil Recommendations : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Anenei wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley Ultra Classic Oil Recommendations

First of all, don't judge. I traded in my RSTD a couple of months ago for a 2012 Ultra Classic. It's a beautiful bike and a blast to ride. Nothing against my RSTD because I loved that bike to, I was just looking for something different. Anyway, I'm sticking around this site because of the knowledgable folks and because everyone is so nice. I know there are a handful of folds that have Harley around here and I was hoping to get some advice. Oil is a huge topic regardless of the type of bike you ride and it seems everyone has an opinion. I've pretty much decided to stick with regular mineral oil, not synthetic https://bestarny.com/oils-for-harley...n-motorcycles/ . This decision was based on the fact that I've ran regrular oil in every machine I've ever owned and never once have I had an oil related issue. I'm a 2500 to 3000 oil change guy so I just fail to see what the benefit is of paying the extra money for synthetic. That being said, what are you Harley riders' recommendations for regular old mineral oil in the engine, primary and transmission?

Thanks guys.
Anenei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Get on your knees and ask for forgiveness. "For what" you say. You will soon learn. Bless your heart, as we say in the South.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this? twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
No biggy, some use their left hand and some use their right hand, both have good points.

I always go by the manufacturer recommendations from my weed eater to my Diesel truck when it comes to mechanical fluids lol.

I choose
To live by choice, not by chance,
To be motivated, not manipulated,
To be useful, not used,
To make changes, not excuses,
To excel, not compete.
I choose self-esteem, not self-pity,
I choose to listen to my inner voice,
not to the random opinions of others.
I choose to do the things that you
wonít so I can continue to do
the things you canít
So, anyone know whats the best oil to use in my bike?
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

HDfatbagger is reading this now saying WTF is this?
OH NO, not that again.
HDfatbagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Ddaddyo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lets resurrect the motor oil thread!
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddyo View Post
Lets resurrect the motor oil thread!
It's the new and improved version.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenei View Post
First of all, don't judge. I traded in my RSTD a couple of months ago for a 2012 Ultra Classic. It's a beautiful bike and a blast to ride. Nothing against my RSTD because I loved that bike to, I was just looking for something different. Anyway, I'm sticking around this site because of the knowledgable folks and because everyone is so nice. I know there are a handful of folds that have Harley around here and I was hoping to get some advice. Oil is a huge topic regardless of the type of bike you ride and it seems everyone has an opinion. I've pretty much decided to stick with regular mineral oil, not synthetic https://bestarny.com/oils-for-harley...n-motorcycles/ . This decision was based on the fact that I've ran regrular oil in every machine I've ever owned and never once have I had an oil related issue. I'm a 2500 to 3000 oil change guy so I just fail to see what the benefit is of paying the extra money for synthetic. That being said, what are you Harley riders' recommendations for regular old mineral oil in the engine, primary and transmission?

Thanks guys.
I don't know who James Smith is, but I would like to hear him explain how oils are "dyno tested".

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

FishinFather wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another oil thread? Oh what fun...

I choked on the first paragraph:
All motor engines require oil to lubricate their moving components for performance and to retain structural integrity. Oil is also a major contributor to exhaust pollutants

Huh? A "motor engine" I can almost ignore. I hope the oil isn't necessary for structural integrity, that's what all those silly metal components are for. If the oil is a major contributor to exhaust pollutants I think I have another issue besides oil choice.

Change it often with a decent oil, syn or not, and all should be fine.
ThunderMax ECM PN: #309-562
Full Boar slip-ons
FishinFather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Harley's recommended oil is HD360, not Syn3. So it should be fine on dyno.

Now with that said, good luck finding 20-50 dyno that meets the 360 spec.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Shiitt squashed out of a grandbabies diaper is the worst exhaust pollutant. Only thing worse than that is when it gets on my leg.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LTsGarage wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wait. You're a 2500 to 3000 mile guy. Do you really change you engine oil every 2 to 3 weeks? Try a good Syn. "Mobile 1" then you can stretch that out a ways. Go 5 or 6 thousand miles between changes. Move it out to once every 5 or 6 weeks..
I don't even change my oil that often (2500 miles) in my Hayabusa. I'm a bit harder on it than I am on my Harley. "Ride more Wrench less"
LTsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Willyone is still riding a stock bike Willyone is still riding a stock bike
Extra Virgin Olive Oil.... it's the best

Rocket Man
Willyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I always believed in coconut oil, but with the destruction following 2 hurricanes the price of coconuts have risen dramatically. I now use B&M original bake bean oil. It has become a pleasure to check the oil as I lick the dipstick.

captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is still riding a stock bike tall terry is still riding a stock bike
any oil that meets the manufacturers specs,,, we all have our favorites

an oil thread starts every couple weeks, and the same old ground gets chewed,,, use the search feature..
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Willyone is still riding a stock bike Willyone is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
I always believed in coconut oil, but with the destruction following 2 hurricanes the price of coconuts have risen dramatically. I now use B&M original bake bean oil. It has become a pleasure to check the oil as I lick the dipstick.

Maybe I'll some bean juice next change, but I'm a Bush's Bean guy... pharts smell less gamey with Bush's

Rocket Man
Willyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in