Synthetic vs fossil - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
IronButt

buffaloguy is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I can reach out to some of my peeps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
buffaloguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #47 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Steel Shoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
You can go longer on most oils that have their additive package boosted to handle longer service life. That can be dino or synthetic. Synthetics generally can go longer since they can handle higher heat by being more thermal stable and won't cook off some of the additives as quickly as a dino oil might do. As oil is used in service some additives are depleted and that is a more limiting factor on service life of the oil. Oil is changed for two reasons. One before contaminant level gets too high and the other is before additives are depleted.
george
If my bike was changed with Amsoil last October, but I only rode it for about 1300 miles this year, can the oil go another season without changing it? It's a year old, and you always see the "......or once a year" caveat.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #48 (permalink)
IronButt

there may be condensation cooties in there. especially if you start it now and then over the winter and dont bring it up to temp.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloguy View Post
there may be condensation cooties in there.
I've never heard it put quite that way, but it works.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #50 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Location: Not where I want to be and looks like I'll never get there.
BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Seoul huh? I haven't been there, but have been in every state here. It amazes me the places I have lived that the people there don't go anywhere. I think everyone should have to join the service when they 18 so can experience more than the one state they live in. I mean there is somewhere else to live besides here.
I'm a firm believer in forced military service for youngsters with at least a 6 month tour in some shithole.

I'm not an asshole. I am actually one of the nicest people you will ever meet. You are just pissed because I can see through all your bullshit.

LIberalism -- When stupid just isn't stupid enough!

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me. - Al Capone
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #51 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUTYM View Post
I'm a firm believer in forced military service for youngsters with at least a 6 month tour in some shithole.
I love Heinlein's idea that if you don't serve, you don't vote. People need to be introduced to the reality that there are greater things than themselves.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #52 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Location: Not where I want to be and looks like I'll never get there.
BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I love Heinlein's idea that if you don't serve, you don't vote. People need to be introduced to the reality that there are greater things than themselves.

joe
There should be a few more requirements to vote but I won't get into that or there could be a lot of knotted panties. Too many knotted panties over oil types as it is. No need to

I'm not an asshole. I am actually one of the nicest people you will ever meet. You are just pissed because I can see through all your bullshit.

LIberalism -- When stupid just isn't stupid enough!

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me. - Al Capone
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #53 (permalink)
IronButt

I asked a kid at work what he planned to do for his service and the only answer that he could come up with was he wasnt ready. I said thats ok, they will get you ready. the fact is he has no appreciation for this incredable land of opportunity he was fortunate enough to be born in and could care less about serving his country.
I enjoyed heaping a little guilt on him and on the plus side I made him squirm a little bit.
I am all for conscription, it would help these kids get a backbone and gain some self respect.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #54 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUTYM View Post
Nothing else there would be less crime as everyone would know how to protect themselves. I feel sorry for the boy who tries something with my gg Emma. She has won many karate trophies and she just turned 10.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Shoe View Post
If my bike was changed with Amsoil last October, but I only rode it for about 1300 miles this year, can the oil go another season without changing it? It's a year old, and you always see the "......or once a year" caveat.
Really doesn't matter what brand of oil you have in the crankcase as you run the chance of collecting a lot of condensation through the winter due to temp swings. This happens with new oil or used, but with new oil you have fresh rust inhibitor additives that will protect against internal rust better than the used oil may protect as these additives do deplete and get used up over time. This is the reason that all oil companies give the warning one year. Have you ever observed the condensation that appears on your glass when pouring in cold beer? Well this is exactly what happens inside your engine while setting idle.

Now with all this said I have let my oil go for up to two years if for some reason I didn't get the riding in like you are talking about. I feel comfortable doing this due to the oil I use that has more rust inhibitors than other oils and has far surpassed the rust tests of new oil. Got to get my commercial in.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Steel Shoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
Really doesn't matter what brand of oil you have in the crankcase as you run the chance of collecting a lot of condensation through the winter due to temp swings. This happens with new oil or used, but with new oil you have fresh rust inhibitor additives that will protect against internal rust better than the used oil may protect as these additives do deplete and get used up over time. This is the reason that all oil companies give the warning one year. Have you ever observed the condensation that appears on your glass when pouring in cold beer? Well this is exactly what happens inside your engine while setting idle.

Now with all this said I have let my oil go for up to two years if for some reason I didn't get the riding in like you are talking about. I feel comfortable doing this due to the oil I use that has more rust inhibitors than other oils and has far surpassed the rust tests of new oil. Got to get my commercial in.
george
Thanks, George! You da man!!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

Well they must sell it somewhere. I was just over to Walmart and not much selection for syn. As l want is a case.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

I bought amsoil at Rural King. Are they in your area?

Old 10-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #59 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloguy View Post
I bought amsoil at Rural King. Are they in your area?

Why is a store called Rural King in a state packed up with yankees? I figure you guys must be elbow to elbow by now? Do you have AutoZone, Advance or NAPA? Some stores have it in the back as there isn't enough shelf space.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #60 (permalink)
IronButt

Everyone here has a cornfield in their backyard. And they are less money than those high toned society stores.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in