Synthetic vs fossil - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Thanks George. It can be hot one day here and cool the next. Its like I don't know what wt syn to try. The 02 ran 50 wt racing oil her whole life. Never a hard cold start, but I have read that the syn coats faster. Now have to determine the wt.
You can use the weight that is recommended in your owners manual or do some experimenting if you wish. I have used 20w 50 and straight 60 weight in my bikes through the years. In your climate I would stick with 20w 50. I used the 60 when I lived in Florida.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick90 View Post
I use rotella 15w40 diesel convention oil in my vmax. No detergent, high zinc content, high shear strength.
No detergent? Which one are you using? T3, T4?
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #33 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
No detergent? Which one are you using? T3, T4?
Diesel oils have detergents in them. I don't know where this no detergent info is coming from. One would be hard pressed to find any oil that has no detergents in them. Compressor oils and obsolete oils of the sixties come to mind that have no detergents in them.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've never heard of a non-detergent diesel oil and i don't know why anyone would want non-detergent oil in anything other than a compressor or maybe some old lawn mower that called for it. Recent versions of conventional Rotella mainly use calcium. Older versions used some magnesium along with calcium.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
I've never heard of a non-detergent diesel oil and i don't know why anyone would want non-detergent oil in anything other than a compressor or maybe some old lawn mower that called for it. Recent versions of conventional Rotella mainly use calcium. Older versions used some magnesium along with calcium.
I think some are getting confused with no friction modifiers instead of meaning non detergent. Oils need the detergents to help suspend contaminants so the oil filter can trap it. Non detergents are used where the equipment has a splash oil system with no oil filter and the idea is the crap will settle at the bottom and will be removed with the next oil change.
george
Old 10-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #36 (permalink)
IronButt

09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this? 09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
Can't please everyone. He obviously had a problem he blamed the oil for. This happens all the time in the oil industry. Some oils get credit and some get the blame for mechanical problems and or operator error. If a particular oil was bad it would show up across the country with many law suits and etc. Remember we live in the USA with a lawyer on every corner.
george
This is exactly right. When I posted to stay away from Syn, it was in jest. I, personally, have to stay away from it right now because it does not play well with my current motors. That's not to say that it wouldn't work well in future engines.

Most mechanical problems arise because of oil issues. Those issues could be human error, as in not changing it often enough or not using the right viscosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick90 View Post
I use rotella 15w40 diesel convention oil in my vmax. No detergent, high zinc content, high shear strength. The vmax loves it. But that being said, i can not use synthetic on the max because it will slip the wet clutch.

Yes, it is true that synthetic can run a farther service interval before the oil breaks down or stops doing its job. It is also much better in cold environments due to its ability to FLOW. But your filtration system has to be able to match that interval.

The automotive industry has filters rated out to 15k miles now. And yes, i run auto filters on my bikes.... Bosch filters. Cheap, walmart has them, they are usually larger canisters, and i know they can go at least 5k before oil changes.

But i have lirerally only put 2k miles on the vmax in the last 3yrs i have had it. And guess what. Its still gotten its yearly drain and fill riding or not.

I dont think the oil you choose to run will hurt the engine in any way. (Unless you run the wrong viscosity) The only thing that would hurt it is pushing a filter past its abilities IMO. But i will say this. SYN has that wonderful ability to flow. If you have any gaskets that are about to go, syn will find a way out of them. And another thing i have noticed, sythetic doesnt seem to drown out sounds like dino does. Just doesnt seem to absorb or cousion the sounds.

I'm going to throw out my opinion and why I have it, feel free to ignore it if you want to.
A few years back I was involved in a extensive email conversation with Blackstone lab having to do with issues I was having with different oils. I'm not going to go into details on that because it would take this thread into the direction of Quality Product vs. Quality Sales Pitch. We don't need that, again.

However, One of the things I was told by two different people at the lab was that running diesel oil in a motorcycle equipped with a catalytic converter could cause premature failure to the cat.
09DesertGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DesertGlide View Post
This is exactly right. When I posted to stay away from Syn, it was in jest. I, personally, have to stay away from it right now because it does not play well with my current motors. That's not to say that it wouldn't work well in future engines.

Most mechanical problems arise because of oil issues. Those issues could be human error, as in not changing it often enough or not using the right viscosity.

I'm going to throw out my opinion and why I have it, feel free to ignore it if you want to.
A few years back I was involved in a extensive email conversation with Blackstone lab having to do with issues I was having with different oils. I'm not going to go into details on that because it would take this thread into the direction of Quality Product vs. Quality Sales Pitch. We don't need that, again.

However, One of the things I was told by two different people at the lab was that running diesel oil in a motorcycle equipped with a catalytic converter could cause premature failure to the cat.
It's been my experience that most mechanical issues come from design problems more than using the wrong oils. I see many vehicles with service bulletins concerning manifold gasket leaks that pumps combustion gases down into the crankcase and trashing the oil over time. There is several with anti freeze leaking back into the crankcase and chemically reacting with the oil. It only takes a few ounces to turn the oil into looking like molasses.

These are just two examples where oil gets blamed for factory defects. Now there is another fairly new problem with the Ford Eco Boost engine with low speed pre-ignition caused from direct fuel injection into the cylinders like diesels use and then coupled with twin turbos. This causes problems with the timing chains and sometimes even breaks piston skirts. Ford now has detuned the engine until they figure out a fix. As you can see I am defending oil and not just my favorite one, but all oil brands.
george
Old 10-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg_E wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
Now there is another fairly new problem with the Ford Eco Boost engine with low speed pre-ignition caused from direct fuel injection into the cylinders like diesels use and then coupled with twin turbos. This causes problems with the timing chains and sometimes even breaks piston skirts. Ford now has detuned the engine until they figure out a fix. As you can see I am defending oil and not just my favorite one, but all oil brands.
george
There is more to it than just that... Another issue with the ecoboost (and other direct injection engines) is the lack of fuel flowing over the intake valve to clean it. You get the PCV valve of questionable design allowing oil to "spray" into the intake, and then bake onto the valves. Even non GDI engines can suffer from this when the PCV design sucks so badly that you consume a quart of oil every 2000 miles (and the manufacturer calls that acceptable), had that with my Chevy Spark. Dealer points at manufacturer, manufacturer points at dealer. And nothing gets fixed for more than 10,000 miles (took a bath financially by trading that car early). Going pretty far off topic, but wanted to add a couple more data points for people to look up.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Ah yes, the age old question...
I learned my lesson long ago, when I had to have my gas tank removed and cleaned. I don't buy gas OR oil at dilapidated old service stations.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I learned my lesson long ago, when I had to have my gas tank removed and cleaned. I don't buy gas OR oil at dilapidated old service stations.

joe
I only buy gas at stations that have condom machines in the ladies restroom.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
I only buy gas at stations that have condom machines in the ladies restroom.
I stayed in a hotel in Seoul that had condom machines on the walls, in the rooms.

The 2X size wasn't...

joe
Free Range Intellect
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Old 10-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I stayed in a hotel in Seoul that had condom machines on the walls, in the rooms.

The 2X size wasn't...

joe
Seoul huh? I haven't been there, but have been in every state here. It amazes me the places I have lived that the people there don't go anywhere. I think everyone should have to join the service when they 18 so can experience more than the one state they live in. I mean there is somewhere else to live besides here.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

buffaloguy is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I was in Seoul a couple of years ago but no condoms in the hotel, the word was the barber shops with two barber poles offered more than haircuts. I cant swear to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
buffaloguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Seoul huh? I haven't been there, but have been in every state here. It amazes me the places I have lived that the people there don't go anywhere. I think everyone should have to join the service when they 18 so can experience more than the one state they live in. I mean there is somewhere else to live besides here.
I know a guy who could be the poster boy for that. He's not unintelligent but he's country as a chicken coop and thinks he's a sophisticate. He has no idea how provincial he is.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Old 10-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloguy View Post
I was in Seoul a couple of years ago but no condoms in the hotel, the word was the barber shops with two barber poles offered more than haircuts. I cant swear to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Now you tell me.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in