Synthetic vs fossil - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

hillcat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm an analog guy. I still use nature's oil. It works fine.

joe
Sure... but not better.
hillcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this? 09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm an analog guy. I still use nature's oil. It works fine.

joe

Do you define "fine" as "adequate for the lubrication needs of the motor"? Meaning anything more is unnecessary? A waste of money? (assuming higher costs).
09DesertGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DesertGlide View Post
Do you define "fine" as "adequate for the lubrication needs of the motor"? Meaning anything more is unnecessary? A waste of money? (assuming higher costs).
I'm pretty sure that, by definition, anything more than what's necessary is unnecessary.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this? 09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
I'm pretty sure that, by definition, anything more than what's necessary is unnecessary.
Correct, thank you captain obvious!! But I was looking for his definition of "fine".
09DesertGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is still riding a stock bike cwilks is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DesertGlide View Post
Correct, thank you captain obvious!! But I was looking for his definition of "fine".
In my case it means in 49 years of riding motorcycles I've never had an oil related issue from using Dino oil......that's pretty "fine" to me.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
In my case it means in 49 years of riding motorcycles I've never had an oil related issue from using Dino oil......that's pretty "fine" to me.
That 'bout covers it, except that I'd add 47 years worth of cars and trucks to that 'no oil related trouble' list.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
What I wants to know if syn goes farther between oil changes. I used Rotella in my metrics worked great. Can I do the same in the hog?
captainhook455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Sometimes, you just warm my heart.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Ah yes, the age old question.

Synthetic:

Fossil:

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 05:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Malx wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's a really good analogy there G...
Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
What I wants to know if syn goes farther between oil changes. I used Rotella in my metrics worked great. Can I do the same in the hog?
You can go longer on most oils that have their additive package boosted to handle longer service life. That can be dino or synthetic. Synthetics generally can go longer since they can handle higher heat by being more thermal stable and won't cook off some of the additives as quickly as a dino oil might do. As oil is used in service some additives are depleted and that is a more limiting factor on service life of the oil. Oil is changed for two reasons. One before contaminant level gets too high and the other is before additives are depleted.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

Nick90 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I use rotella 15w40 diesel convention oil in my vmax. No detergent, high zinc content, high shear strength. The vmax loves it. But that being said, i can not use synthetic on the max because it will slip the wet clutch.

Yes, it is true that synthetic can run a farther service interval before the oil breaks down or stops doing its job. It is also much better in cold environments due to its ability to FLOW. But your filtration system has to be able to match that interval.

The automotive industry has filters rated out to 15k miles now. And yes, i run auto filters on my bikes.... Bosch filters. Cheap, walmart has them, they are usually larger canisters, and i know they can go at least 5k before oil changes.

But i have lirerally only put 2k miles on the vmax in the last 3yrs i have had it. And guess what. Its still gotten its yearly drain and fill riding or not.

I dont think the oil you choose to run will hurt the engine in any way. (Unless you run the wrong viscosity) The only thing that would hurt it is pushing a filter past its abilities IMO. But i will say this. SYN has that wonderful ability to flow. If you have any gaskets that are about to go, syn will find a way out of them. And another thing i have noticed, sythetic doesnt seem to drown out sounds like dino does. Just doesnt seem to absorb or cousion the sounds.

Last edited by Nick90; 10-18-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Nick90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
What wrong with Amsol? I thought that is the bean oil we supposed to like.
Can't please everyone. He obviously had a problem he blamed the oil for. This happens all the time in the oil industry. Some oils get credit and some get the blame for mechanical problems and or operator error. If a particular oil was bad it would show up across the country with many law suits and etc. Remember we live in the USA with a lawyer on every corner.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Thanks George. It can be hot one day here and cool the next. Its like I don't know what wt syn to try. The 02 ran 50 wt racing oil her whole life. Never a hard cold start, but I have read that the syn coats faster. Now have to determine the wt.
captainhook455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
Not to find fault with your experience, but this reminds me of when Radial tires first hit the market. The general thinking at the time was Bias tires have served me well since day one why would I want to spend more money on those tires that look half flat? There was truth to what some thought, but they didn't realize they were spending more money all along since you were very lucky to get 20,000 miles out of those Bias tires and the new radials could get 75,000 or more and even improve fuel mileage at the same time. I Remember when we changed spark plugs every 2,000 miles due to leaded gas mostly, but now you have spark plugs that go well over 100,000 miles. Just a flash back is all so nobody throw stones at me please.
george
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in