Basic Oil Change : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Basic Oil Change

I was looking at some You Tube videos and came across this one below from Amsoil. I thought why view this as I have performed hundreds of my own oil changes through the years. Well as what usually happens to me, if I keep my mind open, is I learn something or receive a good tip or recommendation.

One of the first things new HD owners have to learn is the proper way to check the oil level. if not done properly it is easy to over service the oil. If you check your oil level after the bike has set over night or change the oil when the oil is cold it is easy to over service them as there may be some hidden oil left in the crankcase. This is due to the dry sump system design and the potential of some oil migration into the crankcase while at rest. So what I picked up from the video is do not fill the oil level to full until you have taken a short ride and then immediately recheck the oil level. Many of you might laugh at this post as very simple, but keep in mind someone had to tell you the first time you got your HD.
george

Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Steel Shoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seriously, George? I have a hard time believing that you didn't know that. I'm 67 years old and I knew that as a teenager.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Shoe View Post
Seriously, George? I have a hard time believing that you didn't know that. I'm 67 years old and I knew that as a teenager.
Oh so you knew all about the dry sump system of a HD over 50 years ago. Do a search on this forum for how many HD's have had problems as a result of over servicing their bikes, especially after an oil change. The problem happens mostly for new owners that were use to the metric bikes of one common sump.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
Oh so you knew all about the dry sump system of a HD over 50 years ago. Do a search on this forum for how many HD's have had problems as a result of over servicing their bikes, especially after an oil change. The problem happens mostly for new owners that were use to the metric bikes of one common sump.
george
Well I appreciated the video George. I am one of those guys who had metrics. I have to see about a torque ratchet like she has.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:

"The older I get, the more I knew when I was a teenager."
There ya go Steel, fixed it for ya.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post

If you check your oil level after the bike has set over night or change the oil when the oil is cold it is easy to over service them as there may be some hidden oil left in the crankcase. This is due to the dry sump system design and the potential of some oil migration into the crankcase while at rest. So what I picked up from the video is do not fill the oil level to full until you have taken a short ride and then immediately recheck the oil level. Many of you might laugh at this post as very simple, but keep in mind someone had to tell you the first time you got your HD.
george
I knew that when you change your oil, you need to save a little bit, go ride the bike, then come back and see if you need to top it off.....mainly because you never get all the old oil out when you change it........YES.........that's been common knowledge for a long time.

BTW, here's another thing you apparently didn't know....... Harley isn't the only company to build dry sump engines.

I wasn't trying to bash you with my first post. I thought you were kidding about what you said. I truly couldn't believe you didn't know that. Why you chose to ridicule me, I have no clue.

Last edited by Steel Shoe; 10-02-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Steel Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I knew that when you change your oil, you need to save a little bit, go ride the bike, then come back and see if you need to top it off.....mainly because you never get all the old oil out when you change it........YES.........that's been common knowledge for a long time.

BTW, here's another thing you apparently didn't know....... Harley isn't the only company to build dry sump engines.
I didn't know that, but the bike hasn't blowed up yet.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is still riding a stock bike cwilks is still riding a stock bike
You guys are kidding with this right?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this? 09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this?
What does "over servicing" mean? Is it over filling? or does it mean to service too often?

Don't give George a hard time on the dry sump thing. He's an oil expert, not a motorcycle/engine expert.

I'll ask a question, because I really don't know....

Were the pan head's and shovel head's, with the oil tanks up under the seat, referred to as Dry Sump motors?
09DesertGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DesertGlide View Post
Were the pan head's and shovel head's, with the oil tanks up under the seat, referred to as Dry Sump motors?
Harleys are and have always been dry sump.

I'm just here for the beer.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
Harleys are and have always been dry sump.

'cept when they are wet sumping.

Actually, I think I remember reading that Harley-Davidson introduced their first recirculating oiling system in 1936 with the Knucklehead. I believe it was dry sump system as a wet sump system would push the engine up several more inches to accommodate the required oil reservoir.

edit: 1936, I think that's when Cap was but just a teenager.

Last edited by Uncle Salty; 10-02-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

nvsteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

I wasn't trying to bash you with my first post. I thought you were kidding about what you said. I truly couldn't believe you didn't know that. Why you chose to ridicule me, I have no clue.
Calling BS on you Steel.
George has been around here for years answering questions regarding oils and applications. You called him out for something you knew but maybe some novices may not know or others may have forgotten.
BTW, if you knew anything about George you wouldn't spout off about him not knowing that other companies build dry sump motors.
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
'
Actually, I think I remember reading that Harley-Davidson introduced their first recirculating oiling system in 1936 with the Knucklehead.
Yep. Before that, it was a total loss gravity feed system.. Oil in the left tank, gas in the right tank. The oil drained from the tank to the engine to the ground. Not a politically correct way to lubricate.

Rules read.

Last edited by Alan S; 10-03-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsteve View Post
Calling BS on you Steel.
George has been around here for years answering questions regarding oils and applications. You called him out for something you knew but maybe some novices may not know or others may have forgotten.
BTW, if you knew anything about George you wouldn't spout off about him not knowing that other companies build dry sump motors.
I do know that George has been around for years answering questions. I know he is VERY knowledgeable about oil. That's why I was amazed, and thought he was just joking, with his first post. That's why I put a "smiley" at the end. HE is the one who apparently took it wrong, and made fun of me in reply. He didn't need to do that. The whole thing wasn't meant to offend anyone. Just let it go.

Last edited by Steel Shoe; 10-03-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Steel Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
Originally Posted by Steel Shoe

"The older I get, the more I knew when I was a teenager."
Quote:
There ya go Steel, fixed it for ya.
That's absolutely true!! LOL.....I'm sure I've forgotten a whole lot of things over the years.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in