Yet Another Oil Change Question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Steel Shoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yet Another Oil Change Question

OK...here's the deal. I changed my oil and filter last October just before I put my bike away. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w 50. My work requires me to travel, so I'm GONE somewhere away from home M-F, and then having to relocate from Ohio to Nebraska for a job promotion, I rode my bike less than 1,000 miles this year. Would you STILL change the oil before putting the bike away, or would you just ride it another season and change it next fall. Like I said, because of work, even next fall I probably still won't have 4,000 miles on the oil after two years. I just hate to throw away $40 worth of oil when it has less than 1,000 miles on it. Seems such a needless thing to do. If Mobil ! is supposed to be that good (and I believe it is, that's why I use it) can't it go two seasons and be OK? Welcome your thoughts......
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Don't do it. Change the oil (all of them) AT LEAST once per year.

Especially if you don't put many miles on the bike, which probably means several short trips which allow moisture and contaminants to build up and sit in the oil.

If your bike sits in an unconditioned space it probably goes through lots of temp / humidity changes which also cause condensation to gather.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

FishinFather wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'll say it again.

Change it.* Why let all those contaminants sit?
ThunderMax ECM PN: #309-562
Full Boar slip-ons
FishinFather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Shoe View Post
OK...here's the deal. I changed my oil and filter last October just before I put my bike away. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w 50. My work requires me to travel, so I'm GONE somewhere away from home M-F, and then having to relocate from Ohio to Nebraska for a job promotion, I rode my bike less than 1,000 miles this year. Would you STILL change the oil before putting the bike away, or would you just ride it another season and change it next fall. Like I said, because of work, even next fall I probably still won't have 4,000 miles on the oil after two years. I just hate to throw away $40 worth of oil when it has less than 1,000 miles on it. Seems such a needless thing to do. If Mobil ! is supposed to be that good (and I believe it is, that's why I use it) can't it go two seasons and be OK? Welcome your thoughts......
At least change the oil in the crankcase. Your primary and tranny should be fine. Even though you are using an oil you have a lot of confidence in doesn't mean it is good at fighting rust and the effects of too much moisture. Some oils like Amsoil actually boost the rust inhibitors added to the formulation to guard against acids and mositure. Not sure if Mobil does or not.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is still riding a stock bike tall terry is still riding a stock bike
I would change the oil,,, but I would do it in the spring,,, before I stsrt riding,,, after starting the engine ad thoroughly warming it...

Short trips and low miles add more contaminants thsn long rides and high miles..
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2018, 05:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

JayFL726 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Don't do it. Change the oil (all of them) AT LEAST once per year.

Especially if you don't put many miles on the bike, which probably means several short trips which allow moisture and contaminants to build up and sit in the oil.

If your bike sits in an unconditioned space it probably goes through lots of temp / humidity changes which also cause condensation to gather.

Saved me some typing ..
Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Now I'm totally confused on what to do......LOL. Half of the people I've asked, including several HD wrenches, say it's perfectly fine to go another year, and the rest of you say, NO!, change it!! As I said, the oil will have less than 1200 miles on it, and looks like it just came out of the bottle, but it WILL be almost two years old by this time next year. I'm leaning towards just letting it go another season. Thanks, one and all.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Willyone is still riding a stock bike Willyone is still riding a stock bike
FWIW I consider oil changing cheap insurance. Yeah, likely no harm if you don't change it but peace of mind if it is changed, at least the engine oil. I wouldn't worry about changing the transmission though. I'd prolly change the primary oil too, butt dat's jus' me....

Rocket Man
Willyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Already changed the primary and tranny, when I changed the engine oil.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Update: I have a few friends that are into cars. You know, the classic '60's hot rod stuff. One owns a '67 Camaro. One has a '69 Dodge Super Bee. Engines are built STRONG. They probably have $30-40,000 in those cars. Seriously, the classic car world is crazy! They drive them "maybe" 100 miles per year. Just to car shows and things like that. Anyway, they run a good synthetic oil, and tell me they don't change it for 2-3 years, and they baby these cars to death. So, if they feel comfortable going that long, I do too. With only 1200 miles on my oil change, and even though it's been a year, I'm leaving mine in for another season.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
What you found is that there is no "right" answer to a question of opinions.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Update: I have a few friends that are into cars. You know, the classic '60's hot rod stuff. One owns a '67 Camaro. One has a '69 Dodge Super Bee. Engines are built STRONG. They probably have $30-40,000 in those cars. Seriously, the classic car world is crazy! They drive them "maybe" 100 miles per year. Just to car shows and things like that. Anyway, they run a good synthetic oil, and tell me they don't change it for 2-3 years, and they baby these cars to death. So, if they feel comfortable going that long, I do too. With only 1200 miles on my oil change, and even though it's been a year, I'm leaving mine in for another season.
Do what you want with your bike, but don't base your oil change regime on the classic car crowd. I have worked this industry for years and have found that most of them care more about chrome than the inside of their engines.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Glad I decided NOT to change my oil this fall. Here is the UOA from a friend of mine who has run this oil, Mobil One V-Twin 20w 50, for two years already and now plans on running it a couple thousand miles more. Mobil One is good stuff...
Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
Quote:
Do what you want with your bike, but don't base your oil change regime on the classic car crowd. I have worked this industry for years and have found that most of them care more about chrome than the inside of their engines.
george
Howdy George. I just bought Mobile 1 for $10.49 qt plus tax. Thought I would try syn for a change. How does your price stack up against Advance's price?
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

HDfatbagger is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Wow. 6286 miles in 3 1/2 years. He's good for another 2 years.

Last edited by HDfatbagger; 11-13-2018 at 08:22 PM.
HDfatbagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in