Sealant on drain plugs : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Location: Not where I want to be and looks like I'll never get there.
BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike
Sealant on drain plugs

What's the deal with people putting pipe sealant on drain plugs? Helped my neighbor change oil in a used Fat Boy he just bought and it had freaking pipe sealant on the drain plugs. I just don't get it. That's what that thing called an o-ring is for.

I'm not an asshole. I am actually one of the nicest people you will ever meet. You are just pissed because I can see through all your bullshit.

LIberalism -- When stupid just isn't stupid enough!

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me. - Al Capone
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Willyone is still riding a stock bike Willyone is still riding a stock bike
I agree, butt.... I did 2-3 wraps of Teflon tape on the primary drain plug yesterday, after swapping out the diaphragm spring. "O" ring looked ok but I would have liked to replace it but I didn't have any new ones, so used the tape as a just in case thing. Guess I should do some "O" ring shopping.

Rocket Man
Willyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Pipe dope is insurance. It keeps the plug from loosening up and leaking or falling out.

Teflon tape is for tapered fittings, and prolly not advisable for the oem drain plugs.

Last edited by Thermodyne; 04-22-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Pipe dope is insurance. It keeps the plug from loosing up and leaking or falling out.

Teflon tape is for tapered fittings, and prolly not advisable for the oem drain plugs.
Now ya tell me

Rocket Man
Old 04-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this? Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
nothing wrong with using it but I never do, nothing ever leaks
Ported heads
SE 203 Cams
Fueling Camplate and Pump
Fueling lifters
S&S Quickie Pushrods
Red Shift Hyd Tensioners
HRS 42 Mikuni Carb
DTT Ignition
Ultima 6 speed OD Transmission
Barnett Clutch
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyone View Post
Now ya tell me
Teflon is slippery. And it works well on tapered fittings (think water pipe) because it allows for the pipe to be screwed in with less effort.

People saw it on GM carb fuel line fittings back in the day and assumed it was for sealing. But it was just for getting a good torque on the flare nut without adding lube during assembly. The way a double flare works, there is no fuel to seal at the threads.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Teflon is slippery. And it works well on tapered fittings (think water pipe) because it allows for the pipe to be screwed in with less effort.

People saw it on GM carb fuel line fittings back in the day and assumed it was for sealing. But it was just for getting a good torque on the flare nut without adding lube during assembly. The way a double flare works, there is no fuel to seal at the threads.
Well, maybe not all is/was lost as the tape did create a little drag when I put the plug back in, which I liked. Like I said, I'll do some O-ring shopping so I'll have new one's on hand when needed.... cheap insurance.

Rocket Man
Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Pennies a piece on Ebay.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike
I could see maybe using the stuff when out somewhere and trying to get home with no other option, but as a rule if everything is as it should be the o-ring is sufficient. If sealant is necessary to prevent a leak something needs to be fixed. Besides, no sealant I've ever seen so far works right unless the surfaces are clean and I'd bet that even if the plug is being cleaned the hole is just being wiped, which ain't the same as clean. You'll get more mileage by changing the o-ring each time.

I'm not an asshole. I am actually one of the nicest people you will ever meet. You are just pissed because I can see through all your bullshit.

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me. - Al Capone
Old 04-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 04,07 and 10 I purchased new all had pipe dope in addition to the o-rings on the drain plugs form the factory.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoworker View Post
The 04,07 and 10 I purchased new all had pipe dope in addition to the o-rings on the drain plugs form the factory.
It must be hit or miss. Neither of mine (05 and 16) had anything on the drains except the o-ring. I have seen it in various other places, but not on oil drains.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Of the '04, '09 and '15 purchased new, none had sealant on the drain plugs. The few times I have had service done by the local dealer, sealant was used (in excess) every time and each time the O-ring was ruined. The service manual doesn't mention using it. A good O-ring and proper torque is more than adequate. I don't understand the need for it.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in