5 quart oil change : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

MoleEye wants to know Dino or Syn?
5 quart oil change

Has anyone here done the so called " 5 qt oil change " where you drain and refill the oil tank then run the bike with the filter off till clean oil starts to come out of the filter housing before replacing the filter and topping up? I couldn't find anything here on search.
There is a youtube post with a guy doing this to his FXR and the initial crap that comes from the filter housing is pretty impressive.
I plan on changing to Mobil1 Vtwin oil and would like to get as much old oil out as possible, but don't want any disastrous happenings.
MoleEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Always seems to be something new on such an old subject, I'm not sure why you would want to I've ran them over 100,000 miles and never did that.

Have you ever known anyone that did that with their car/truck? I bet not.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2015 Victory Cross Country
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this? dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Oil has gotten way to expensive for me to justify wasting 2 quarts of it at every oil change. It may be a valid technique, but I am in the camp that believes it's just not necessary.
dirtybrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here's the link to the video, I'd only planned to do it as a one time thing as I change from dino to synthetic oil.
The cruddy oil at 4:40 on the video motivated me to give it a try and get rid of the maximum amount of old dino oil.
I'm OCD inclined..

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...C9E5A5E81BCBB8
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
We've all seen the video, it's nothing new. Have at it.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
We've all seen the video, it's nothing new. Have at it.
Oh.
Alrighty then..
Old 03-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
This subject has come up before. Seems the majority think it's not necessary.

I've done it before and never used 2 extra quarts.

Ask the guys that think it's a waste of oil if they want that extra dirty oil that came out to top up their bike.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this? dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Ask the guys that think it's a waste of oil if they want that extra dirty oil that came out to top up their bike.

~Pete
Pete... nobody would deliberately put "extra dirty" oil in their engine - whether it be their bike or their car. I take that back, Jiffy Lube probably does it daily - but those aren't their cars. I, along with millions of other folks, have never felt the need to use a method other than the one recommended by the manufacturer to simply change the oil. I'm sure that if it were necessary, it would be the standard procedure.

I don't recall anyone saying this method is a bad idea - just not necessary.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Rodzilla6 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with most of these fine folks that it is not really required...forty years and the regular oil change hasn't caused me any problems...knock on wood...LOL.
If you want to do this though, someone sells a kit that includes everything up need to do this without damaging something...
Do a search...I don't remember the name of it,but a bunch of folks use it...
I run good oil and change it every 2500 miles, so I suspect the leftover oil is not that bad...synthetic...
Just remembered...called the scavenger or something like that...
Ride safe.
Rodzilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Willyone is still riding a stock bike Willyone is still riding a stock bike
To me, it seems like a good idea for the 1st oil change on a used bike if the history is not known. Also on the 1st or 2nd change on a new bike. Makes sense to get possible crud/crap/minute metal out of the system. Kind'a like purging the system.

Then as long as oil changes are performed on reasonable schedule, no need to do the 5 qt. thing again. Just my O

2nd thought.... and less mess, do a couple of 500 mi. dino changes to flush the system, then go to Mobil 1 and call it good.

Last edited by Willyone; 03-27-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Willyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybrain View Post
Pete... nobody would deliberately put "extra dirty" oil in their engine - whether it be their bike or their car. I take that back, Jiffy Lube probably does it daily - but those aren't their cars. I, along with millions of other folks, have never felt the need to use a method other than the one recommended by the manufacturer to simply change the oil. I'm sure that if it were necessary, it would be the standard procedure.

I don't recall anyone saying this method is a bad idea - just not necessary.
Isn't the dirty oil that you flushed out the same oil you would have left in? It sounds like you are saying it's not dirty enough to take out, but too dirty to put back in.

I've only done it a couple of times myself, only because I'm not a fanatic about my bike. We've got guys on this forum that won't ride their bike because there is dust on the driveway. Some spend 3 hrs washing and waxing after a 45 min ride. It seems everytime this subject comes up people get a little nasty.

It's more than simple to do, especially on a FXR with the oil filter under the swingarm. If it makes the OP more comfortable, have at it.

If you think everything the manufacturer says is gospel, you would be mistaken. Do you think they build them to last forever? On the subject of oil, it wasn't all that long ago HD said not to use synthetic oil! Was it because they didn't have a synthetic to sell you?

Are factory Dunlops better than other tires? Is the factory air filter better than a K&N? Is Harley oil better than Mobil 1 or Amsoil?

Again on the subject of oils, have you ever noticed the selection of brands of oil at you're local parts store? Why isn't everyone buying only Ford, Chevy, Honda, etc. oil?

Is it required to get all the oil out? No. Again, if it makes someone more comfortable, go for it. We have guys on this forum that have stranger habits.

~Pete
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyone View Post
To me, it seems like a good idea for the 1st oil change on a used bike if the history is not known. Also on the 1st or 2nd change on a new bike. Makes sense to get possible crud/crap/minute metal out of the system. Kind'a like purging the system.

Then as long as oil changes are performed on reasonable schedule, no need to do the 5 qt. thing again. Just my O

2nd thought.... and less mess, do a couple of 500 mi. dino changes to flush the system, then go to Mobil 1 and call it good.
Exactly what I did. MY FXR was sitting for a couple years before I bought it and the oil looked like crap. I bought the cheapest dino oil I could find, did a hundred miles, changed and repeated. Ended with synthetic.

Made me feel better.

~Pete
Old 03-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bcashin1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use the scavenger puck every other oil change. Just because it makes me happy. After seeing what came out first time, I will use from now on.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
I've only done it a couple of times myself, only because I'm not a fanatic about my bike.

Is it required to get all the oil out? No. Again, if it makes someone more comfortable, go for it. We have guys on this forum that have stranger habits.

~Pete
We agree, then. Not a necessary procedure. If one feels the need to use it - then so be it. Gotta love oil threads!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyone View Post

Yep, this is pretty much my situation here.
The bike is 15 years old, history unknown, and the dealer I bought it from supposedly did a full service prior to delivery including HD 360 dino oil-the oil did look pretty clean so I believe them.
So I will essentially be doing an oil change at around 500 miles.I will go ahead with the Mobil 1 purge deal this one time, then be happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in