Syn vs conventional - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

robzombie4551 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
That test is BS!!! I don't ride at -35*. It doesn't even get that cold where I live and even if it did I wouldn't be firing up the bike for a ride in those temps. That vid just shows that you can alter results in your favor just to sell a product to make money. I know this is an old thread but when I saw that BS vid I had to chime in.

There are many oil threads out there and it will always be a personal preference issue as many will have different results than others running the same product. I have tried both, dino and syn. products with very pronounced results in all situations in cars, diesels, turbo motors and bikes.

For me syn. is a waste of money especially in my bike. The dealer sold it to me with amsoil syn. in the motor and the top end noise was annoying to say the least. If you hear any noise that is audible, wear is happening as it is metal on metal that you hear. I put dino in there and lucas oil treatment and now the motor idles smoother and is quiet as a church mouse {for an HD} as well as higher oil pressure when hot.

The trans had that crap in it [syn.] also and after a few thousand miles it was a little noisy and shifted loud. I changed it out to dino and a little lucas and now it's quiet and shifts like a ninja [pun intended] snick not clunk.

Syn. is thin cold and when hot is thinner than water with less cushion between metal parts and why some people hear noise in the drivetrain. That alone should be enough to let you know that your oil isn't working and is telling you that your prematurely wearing out your motor/trans or whatever is making noise and needs to be addressed.

I will also say that I live where I can ride almost year round and it reaches over 100* in the summer months so all the northern folks using syn. and having no problems with it keep using it if you want to. These bikes are air and oil cooled and the hotter the climate and or the harder you ride will dictate what oil works best for you. I'm just saying that there is no one solution for everyone and use what works for you.
robzombie4551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Willyone is still riding a stock bike Willyone is still riding a stock bike
Yay.... old oil thread revived (o:

Rocket Man
Willyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyone View Post
Yay.... old oil thread revived (o:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzombie4551 View Post
That test is BS!!! I don't ride at -35*. It doesn't even get that cold where I live and even if it did I wouldn't be firing up the bike for a ride in those temps. That vid just shows that you can alter results in your favor just to sell a product to make money. I know this is an old thread but when I saw that BS vid I had to chime in.
So I am very interested in what part is exactly "BS". Maybe you missed the point of the video? Which is to explain oil viscosity and not about using it in you motorcycle at -35 degrees. Factually the entire video it correct and using "BS" to describe it is saying that it is lies. So what parts are lies?
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this? 09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I switched to Syn and motor sounded like marbles in a tin can. Switched back, and now I just have that "normal" top end rattle at about 3K. No more Syn for me in anything I own.
09DesertGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post

So I am very interested in what part is exactly "BS". Maybe you missed the point of the video? Which is to explain oil viscosity and not about using it in you motorcycle at -35 degrees. Factually the entire video it correct and using "BS" to describe it is saying that it is lies. So what parts are lies?
I didn't say lies, I said BS and mean it. Why test a product at a temp that is unrealistic in the real world or do you wear shorts and a tank top at -35* and go for a ride!

Let's see a viscosity test when the temp is in the 70's to 80's and ride for an hour and drain them hot to see what you end up with. Cold start test is BS unless you happen to spray your motor with liquid nitrogen to keep it running cold. LOL. Sorry for the sarcasm but to each his own and yes oil threads can and will be a sore spot for some as long as we use oil in a IC engine.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

I would also add that I will trust the advice of a 30 year authorized HD tech and 20 year HD tech over some snot nosed kid in a video trying to sell his wares. I wonder how many HD's or air cooled engines he has owned??

I have used them all syn. and dino, I always end up using dyno juice because it flat out works.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DesertGlide View Post
I switched to Syn and motor sounded like marbles in a tin can. Switched back, and now I just have that "normal" top end rattle at about 3K. No more Syn for me in anything I own.
Had same problem as you, dealer had amsoil SYNCRAP in there. First ride in the 70's out here and an hour later I had top end noise.

Changed to dino and no more noise with the benefit of higher oil pressure when hot.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this? 09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Had same problem as you, dealer had amsoil SYNCRAP in there. First ride in the 70's out here and an hour later I had top end noise.

Changed to dino and no more noise with the benefit of higher oil pressure when hot.
With the syn my oil pressure would drop to almost nothing sitting at a stop light.

This is a bit off topic but since we're talking top end noise. I bought this but haven't installed it yet. I'm thinking I might get to it this weekend,

09DesertGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
I didn't say lies, I said BS and mean it. Why test a product at a temp that is unrealistic in the real world or do you wear shorts and a tank top at -35* and go for a ride!

Let's see a viscosity test when the temp is in the 70's to 80's and ride for an hour and drain them hot to see what you end up with. Cold start test is BS unless you happen to spray your motor with liquid nitrogen to keep it running cold. LOL. Sorry for the sarcasm but to each his own and yes oil threads can and will be a sore spot for some as long as we use oil in a IC engine.
You completely miss the point of the video. Calling something BS is suggesting it is untrue, not factual or lies.

Quote:
I would also add that I will trust the advice of a 30 year authorized HD tech and 20 year HD tech over some snot nosed kid in a video trying to sell his wares. I wonder how many HD's or air cooled engines he has owned??

I have used them all syn. and dino, I always end up using dyno juice because it flat out works.
Your 30 year authorized HD tech probably told you Syn oil was "too slippery" for HD engine ... well back before HD started selling it right? LOL

The snot nosed kid probably never had a Harley however he isn't talking about Harleys, he is talking about cars. Oil is still oil and the way viscosity works doesn't change from cars to harleys. He is also a mechanical engineer and an avid car enthusiast. Oh and he isn't selling any wares.

Once again the point of the video is lost. You to make it about Syn vs Mineral oil in a Harley and the video has nothing to do with that argument.

Check out Ride of the Month
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It gets hot here in SE NC even during December. I use straight 50wt racing oil. These days I have to ask for it as it is kept in the back room.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Once again the point of the video is lost. You to make it about Syn vs Mineral oil in a Harley and the video has nothing to do with that argument.
Than what relevance does that video have if we can't compare it or relate it's use in an HD or real world conditions?

Quote:
Your 30 year authorized HD tech probably told you Syn oil was "too slippery" for HD engine ... well back before HD started selling it right? LOL
No not to slippery, To thin and not enough cushion between moving parts which is obvious to anyone using it and seeing the oil pressure difference and drivetrain noise between the two.

As to the Harley statement you made, yeah they only sell quality products and have a history of building a bike with no engineering problems they refuse to fix.

Use what you want I'm not selling anything and am just sharing my views on that video that has no base in reality except to prove SYNCRAP outflows dino at -35*

When is the video of the two where they are compared at 300* coming out of an engine and comparing the viscosity at real world temps?
Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
When is the video of the two where they are compared at 300* coming out of an engine and comparing the viscosity at real world temps?
At 300, I'll take syn over dino all day every day.

I'm just here for the beer.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg_E wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil threads are always so much fun. I think the trend is now coconut oil for everything.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
My syn oil proof is courtesy of my ole lady and Mobil1 0-30

Honda Civic Hybrid with over 120K on the clock. AC compressor locked up and took the belt off the water pump. She drove it until it seized. Locked up solid.

After it cooled off, the car started right up and after fixing the A/C, ran for another 100K. Was still running fine then, but the 12 volt converter burned up and took the high volt battery harness and battery with it.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Than what relevance does that video have if we can't compare it or relate it's use in an HD or real world conditions?

No not to slippery, To thin and not enough cushion between moving parts which is obvious to anyone using it and seeing the oil pressure difference and drivetrain noise between the two.

As to the Harley statement you made, yeah they only sell quality products and have a history of building a bike with no engineering problems they refuse to fix.

Use what you want I'm not selling anything and am just sharing my views on that video that has no base in reality except to prove SYNCRAP outflows dino at -35*

So, you have 7 posts on this site and 5 of them are in this OLD thread. Seems to me you have an agenda, contrary to what you say.

Oil is not supposed to "cushion" parts, it's supposed to lubricate them and, in the case of an air cooled engine, to pull heat from bad places to places it can dissipate. That said, it is well tested and documented that synthetics hold up much better to that heat than dino oils. There are plenty of videos and plenty of reading available on the subject. Check out Google some time.

As far as the cold start thing, it is also well tested and documented that most engine wear happens during startups when there is no oil flowing yet, so, that isn't really an insignificant thing. High viscosity is great, unless it keeps the oil from getting to where you want it to be.

So, care to explain why you keep harping on the subject if your stance is "to each, his own"? I mean, really, I don't give a flyin' fuk what you use or what you believe, so why is this such a big deal to you?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in