Recommendations for transmission and primary oil : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

RF_R_US wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Recommendations for transmission and primary oil

So am really enjoying the "new" '05 FLH :-) Got back from the HD shop with the gasket and o-ring set for the primary fluid change and plan on doing it tomorrow AM prior to riding. The service manual calls out HD 20W50 oil in all locations, but the "kid" at the service desk recommended Bel-Ray, Blue Purple, you name it gear oil for the transmission, he said you could use vegetable oil in the primary (I hope he was kidding). Me, I was surprised to see HD recommend 20W50 for the transmission as I would think gear oil would be what one would want. I've got Mobil 1 gear oil in the garage and am planning on putting Mobil 1 20W50 in the primary. Is there a serious problem in using gear oil in the transmission or is the motor company going low viscosity for better mpg ?

Thanks ,

John
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Use Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in the tranny.

Use Harley Formula+ in the primary.

Use an all synthetic 20w50 in the engine (I use Mobil 1 V-Twin oil)
hdrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Redline

I agree with the above.

I Use ALL Redline products and have in Many HD'd I have owned.

The ShockProof Heavy is a must use for the Longevity of the tranny. Never Ever ANY metal on my magnetic drain plug. NEVER.

Baker used to REQUIRE it in their tranny's or NO Warranty... Later, they had Spectro make gear oil to their specks (another good Gear Oil)

Though Formula+ is a good product, I prefer MTL by Redline (also know as "Redline Primary Lube", same stuff)

20/50 Redline for the engine
OR 20/60 if you want a little more Viscosity and they do add a TINY bit more anti wear in 20/60 Redline also.

signed....BUBBIE

Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I used to use Redline MTL in the primary and never had a problem until I installed an SE compensator. It was noisy with the new compensator - tried Mobil 1 20w50 and still noisy. Quieted down with Formula+ though.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dwnlo99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I run nothing but AMS OIL 20W 50 in all three. Benn in since 1000 mile service. Have 16K on it now and NO problems. Trans even shifted smoother after I switched.
V&H Power Duals w monster blackout rounds
SERT
SE Ventilator Air cleaner
SE 255 Cams

1999 Softail Custom
Ex Show bike
No bolt untouched
Way too much time and $
cant enjoy anymore so i
bought the bagger

1995 Sportster 1200
Mama's bike
dwnlo99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any primary fluid like rev tech, v-twin, drag specialties, hd formula+ is more than adequate. I use whatever the shop happens to have priced the lowest. Same idea for the trans oil, whatever the shop has priced the lowest, formula+, drag specialties, rev tec, etc. Very low tech application, don't overthink it or overspend.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Softail99fb wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got 77,00 miles in all three boxes with mobil 1 15-50. Thiesons farm supply sells it for $6.47 a quart. Right now till the end of march mobil has a $12.00 rebate for buying 5 or more quarts.

Don't waist your time running around getting separate oils, or your money on their V-Twin oil. Plain and simple you don't need different oils in all three holes. I ride when it's as cold as 38*, my tranny shifts smooth as silk! Buy a oil you can get in any towns parts store, like mobil 1 15-50. It has proven it's self to many who puts it in their Harleys in all three boxes. I get frustrated with my local Friends that waist their money on mobile V-Twin when my bike has proven, and tests have shown there is not enough difference to justify mobil V-Twin. And Mobils web site in Q&A says it's ok to run it in all three boxes,,,,, ok I'm done.
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Sounds like the exception that "proves" the point.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jakenok wants to know Dino or Syn?
Transmission is a a gear box: put gear oil in it.
Primary case, just about any oil will work. I use B&M Trik Shift ATF.
jakenok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

RF_R_US wants to know Dino or Syn?
So my riding buddy and excellent auto mechanic gave me serious grief about my choice for transmission oil. I put in Mobil 1 synthetic 90W140 gear oil. I've been around motorcycles all my life so this wasn't done on a whim and I noticed an immediate improvement (although it wasn't bad before) in the shifting (less "clunk"). He says 20W50 is what the HD stuff is that's called out in the service manual and that the detergent keeps the solids in suspension vs. sinking out. Me, I think I'd rather have gear shavings sink to the bottom vs. being in suspension but anyway that's his "view" on this. I think most folks have mentioned that any real oil would work in the transmission as long as it's changed regularly and the primary one fellow told me could probably run on "pee" and still work and I agree as it's just a chain which is usually exposed on chain drive bikes. Thanks for the thoughts....

John
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

TacoBellMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
6 in 1, half dozen the other.

Pick what you want to pick.

Personally, I use ATF Dexron 3 in my primary, Gear oil in the tranny and Amsoil 20w-50 in my engine. That way if something leaks, I know what it is.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Softail99fb wants to know Dino or Syn?
The small magnet on the drain plug will catch a lot of metal dust. I still say people put to much trouble in one simple fix, use mobil 1 15-50 in all three holes.
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The VTF "Search" function is your friend. Use it, and you will come up with more oil information than you can digest in one sitting.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider82 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
The VTF "Search" function is your friend. Use it, and you will come up with more oil information than you can digest in one sitting.

more there then you can shake a stick at!!!!!

ALBERT EINSTEIN

2003 fxstsi
117"
Stuff
Stuff
More stuff
Built by me
hdrider82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Merlyn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Truth. and it's pretty much the same info over and over.
Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in