Recommendations for transmission and primary oil - Page 5 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #61 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?
 
<G Man>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hominy Valley, Hillbillachia
Posts: 12,489
<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIS883 View Post
My links are reality based. If all you ever learn is learned on line then your reality will be an online one.

I don't make web sites. So keep waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIS883 View Post
Most people do learn from threads. Most never reply and even more are not even members. The thing is they see and fully comprehend that in the top 5 threads in the lube section here there are three members reporting four lubrication failure with redline.

Maybe you dont see it, or ignore it for some odd reason. Explain why there are so many lubrication failures with redline reported here. That should be your objective if you plan to defend it.

So stop with the I demand facts right now posts. Sit back and absorb it for a second. Is this something you would pour into your machine no matter the price? I would think that many reports in a small area here would make you think wtf is foing on with that brand. It is you who comes off as being the one who has something to prove, so do it. Now. Start with the primary fluid guy. Tell him the oil did not fail. Lets see how much he LOLs at you. Because thats what I do every time you try to come back with your its all BS posts. Who cares about the three fan club guys you got on your side everyone else is like whats wrong with this dude........
Really? You came back 2 months later to post that?

Make up your mind. You offered up the idea that there is some important lesson to be learned about oil here on this forum section. No one but you seems to know where this magical, tell-all information is.

So, should we all be learning really cool stuff here on the internet from you or does that make us all lesser "bikers" trying to use these forums for what they were intended?
__________________
G Man



Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #62 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 205
BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Really? You came back 2 months later to post that?

Make up your mind. You offered up the idea that there is some important lesson to be learned about oil here on this forum section. No one but you seems to know where this magical, tell-all information is.

So, should we all be learning really cool stuff here on the internet from you or does that make us all lesser "bikers" trying to use these forums for what they were intended?
You only learn in a forum setting depending on wether you listen to everyone's experiencs or not.

Your choice is based on preconceived notions (not a very solid base) and choices to blast away at people who relate experience that bears no resemblance to what you think should happen.

It's all your fault you are so fired up. Not mine.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #63 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?
 
<G Man>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hominy Valley, Hillbillachia
Posts: 12,489
<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIS883 View Post
You only learn in a forum setting depending on wether you listen to everyone's experiencs or not.

Your choice is based on preconceived notions (not a very solid base) and choices to blast away at people who relate experience that bears no resemblance to what you think should happen.

It's all your fault you are so fired up. Not mine.
You really live in a fantasy world there Boris.

I have no preconceived notions about a product I've never used.

I do listen to everyone's experiences. Some are helpful and some are not. For most people, it is easy to tell the difference between them. What is generally not helpful is one who tries to share someone else's experience. They rarely know all of the facts involved and start filling in the blanks with opinions. Sharing opinions of someone else's experience is not the same thing as sharing your own experience.

You talk a lot of BS. Who's fired up anyway? What is your basis for that statement?

I read some of these oil threads for the entertainment, not to learn about OIL. There is occasionally a good tidbit to pick up, but rarely. Mostly I just see a lot of chest puffing and fanboy drama about the one oil that is king while all the rest are crap. If not that, then it is someone bashing a particular brand because of an experience they had which may have been completely unrelated to the quality of an oil or because they read something bad on the internet.

I have never posted anything telling anyone to use or not to use ANY kind of oil. If you want to spend lots of money for oil because it makes you feel better, have at it. If you want to buy crap because you're cheap, have at it. The most important thing is that you use a decent oil and change it regularly. I don't need a "better" oil if the one I use does its job for the correct length of time.
__________________
G Man



Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #64 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 205
BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
You really live in a fantasy world there Boris.

I have no preconceived notions about a product I've never used.

I do listen to everyone's experiences. Some are helpful and some are not. For most people, it is easy to tell the difference between them. What is generally not helpful is one who tries to share someone else's experience. They rarely know all of the facts involved and start filling in the blanks with opinions. Sharing opinions of someone else's experience is not the same thing as sharing your own experience.

You talk a lot of BS. Who's fired up anyway? What is your basis for that statement?

I read some of these oil threads for the entertainment, not to learn about OIL. There is occasionally a good tidbit to pick up, but rarely. Mostly I just see a lot of chest puffing and fanboy drama about the one oil that is king while all the rest are crap. If not that, then it is someone bashing a particular brand because of an experience they had which may have been completely unrelated to the quality of an oil or because they read something bad on the internet.

I have never posted anything telling anyone to use or not to use ANY kind of oil. If you want to spend lots of money for oil because it makes you feel better, have at it. If you want to buy crap because you're cheap, have at it. The most important thing is that you use a decent oil and change it regularly. I don't need a "better" oil if the one I use does its job for the correct length of time.
I stopped after crap. I know what oil is best for what I do. Everyone in my area has put the bikes away for hibernation here in MI where I live now. Not me. It's still parked outside right now. Weather was amazing today at 51F. Little misty and foggy. Since mid September I have seen about half dozen riders on the road. A crotch rocket, the rest were gold wings.

My chest puffing is done on the road, the only thing that I am a fanboy of.

Maybe if I had a fancy amsoil site and blogged it there and gave you a link. Sorry if that is the Internet protocol, I don't have such things in cyber land.

Tomorrow is supposed to be like today. Might do a couple hundred miles tomorrow. Since we have been down to 5F a few times already I won't lie, most rides are pretty short these days when the roads ain't froze over.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?
 
<G Man>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hominy Valley, Hillbillachia
Posts: 12,489
<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIS883 View Post
I stopped after crap. I know what oil is best for what I do. Everyone in my area has put the bikes away for hibernation here in MI where I live now. Not me. It's still parked outside right now. Weather was amazing today at 51F. Little misty and foggy. Since mid September I have seen about half dozen riders on the road. A crotch rocket, the rest were gold wings.

My chest puffing is done on the road, the only thing that I am a fanboy of.

Maybe if I had a fancy amsoil site and blogged it there and gave you a link. Sorry if that is the Internet protocol, I don't have such things in cyber land.

Tomorrow is supposed to be like today. Might do a couple hundred miles tomorrow. Since we have been down to 5F a few times already I won't lie, most rides are pretty short these days when the roads ain't froze over.
Why do you think I care what days you ride?

I rode Friday because 35* feels pretty damn good with the right gear on. Didn't ride yesterday because I took the ol lady out to do some Christmas shopping. I'll probably ride tomorrow if I need to go into town.

Now that we have that out of the way, I was only asking you to show me where on this forum all of these oil failure stories are that you keep talking about. If they don't exist, just say you made it up. No biggie.

Sorry if the whole internet rocket science thing is tripping you up. If it's too much, maybe you should give up the Internet thing in favor of chest puffing. You could always tweet everyone to let us know when you go for a ride.
__________________
G Man



Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #66 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 205
BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lmao, the Internet thing don't trip me up. What does trip me up is when my most dedicated riding buddies bike goes down because of an oil failure. That right there is a first world problem that gets my goat.

Whatever the hype is or web cred this oil has, well it just don't match up to what I seen in real life.

So while you are worried about maintaining that running with the herd on the net image. Well I got real first world problems to worry about.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #67 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?
 
<G Man>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hominy Valley, Hillbillachia
Posts: 12,489
<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIS883 View Post
Lmao, the Internet thing don't trip me up. What does trip me up is when my most dedicated riding buddies bike goes down because of an oil failure. That right there is a first world problem that gets my goat.

Whatever the hype is or web cred this oil has, well it just don't match up to what I seen in real life.

So while you are worried about maintaining that running with the herd on the net image. Well I got real first world problems to worry about.
I'm not sure you understand what the phrase "first world problems" refers to.

Maybe you should look that up on the Internet.
__________________
G Man



Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #68 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 205
BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
I'm not sure you understand what the phrase "first world problems" refers to.

Maybe you should look that up on the Internet.
You sure are fond of the Internet.

Quote:
nouninformal
a relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing world).
"it's a First World problem, but still if you're staying at a 5-star resort you expect some decent service"
Mine today is the 47F wake up temp and drizzle as I head out to PCMS the ride before I take off.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #69 (permalink)
IronButt
 
qtrracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 1,233
qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just wish Boris' mom would permanently take his internet access away.
__________________
"You have to inspire yourself. I am my own role model. I want to be me." Vincent Lepak 2008
qtrracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #70 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 205
BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
I just wish Boris' mom would permanently take his internet access away.
Because it's just so unfair your mommy does it to you, and other moms don't.

You need to start a hashtag movement. Basement bikers against mean mommies. They will like organize a ride to your house and demand your momma set you free to roam the web freely.

Sounds like you got some first world problems too.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #71 (permalink)
IronButt
 
qtrracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 1,233
qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIS883 View Post
Because it's just so unfair your mommy does it to you, and other moms don't.

You need to start a hashtag movement. Basement bikers against mean mommies. They will like organize a ride to your house and demand your momma set you free to roam the web freely.

Sounds like you got some first world problems too.
What's a hashtag?
__________________
"You have to inspire yourself. I am my own role model. I want to be me." Vincent Lepak 2008
qtrracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #72 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 205
BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
What's a hashtag?
You're a pretty serious dude. Here's what I get when I hashtag you.

http://iconosquare.com/tag/hellsangels
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #73 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 34
Merlyn wants to know Dino or Syn?
just to add my $0.02.
My old lady's sportster has over 60,000 miles on it. we just did the clutch due to the brass wearing off the one plate which is a common issue. the primary chain is still good the engine runs perfect and the trans shifts smoothly. we have run nothing but 20/50 supertech from Walmart in it since we got it with 11,000 on it at the end of 2012.
regular oil changes, quality filters, that's all you need. high priced oils? not so much. same oil got me over 240,000 out of an over worked 87 ford ranger with a 2.3.
Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #74 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 291
alarmguy is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_R_US View Post
So am really enjoying the "new" '05 FLH :-) Got back from the HD shop with the gasket and o-ring set for the primary fluid change and plan on doing it tomorrow AM prior to riding. The service manual calls out HD 20W50 oil in all locations, but the "kid" at the service desk recommended Bel-Ray, Blue Purple, you name it gear oil for the transmission, he said you could use vegetable oil in the primary (I hope he was kidding). Me, I was surprised to see HD recommend 20W50 for the transmission as I would think gear oil would be what one would want. I've got Mobil 1 gear oil in the garage and am planning on putting Mobil 1 20W50 in the primary. Is there a serious problem in using gear oil in the transmission or is the motor company going low viscosity for better mpg ?

Thanks ,

John
Many people use gear oil with good results, for me personally I am going to stick with Primary+ in the Transmission and primary. With that said I barely have 3000 miles on my 14 RK. If I dont use Primary+ Im going with standard 20/50 motor oil.

I am not debating anyone, just my personal preference and stating my own reasons for doing so, in my head *L*

HD recommends 20/50. Just about every metric bike on the market uses the engine oil for the transmission in their shared sumps. My first Honda Accord manual transmission called for standard motor oil. Mobile 1 and Amsoil recommend simple motor oil over their gear lube in HD transmissions as a "best" choice, gear lube 2nd.

Bottom line, GL1 oils are friendly to all kinds of metals and seals. SOME (not all) GL5 gear oils are not friendly to softer brass/gold metals and seals, their purpose was differentials in cars and trucks. However we do now see some automobiles and I think BMW bikes are ok with gear lubes, I didnt look into it much, but maybe only up to GL4, i could be wrong though.

Without question from what I read, many people have good luck with gear oil, for me, I dont think it will make any difference in transmission life one way or the other but I think standard GL1 motor oil is the best choice, as you also want that oil to flow and splash easily around the bearings in the transmission.

I think also if it was the best choice for HD, they would simply market one as well. There are cases where the gear oils do help people with clunky transmissions, Im just not one of them.
Everyone has their thing, if your bike shifts nicer with a gear oil then use one.
alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #75 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 205
BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
Many people use gear oil with good results, for me personally I am going to stick with Primary+ in the Transmission and primary. With that said I barely have 3000 miles on my 14 RK. If I dont use Primary+ Im going with standard 20/50 motor oil.

I am not debating anyone, just my personal preference and stating my own reasons for doing so, in my head *L*

HD recommends 20/50. Just about every metric bike on the market uses the engine oil for the transmission in their shared sumps. My first Honda Accord manual transmission called for standard motor oil. Mobile 1 and Amsoil recommend simple motor oil over their gear lube in HD transmissions as a "best" choice, gear lube 2nd.

Bottom line, GL1 oils are friendly to all kinds of metals and seals. SOME (not all) GL5 gear oils are not friendly to softer brass/gold metals and seals, their purpose was differentials in cars and trucks. However we do now see some automobiles and I think BMW bikes are ok with gear lubes, I didnt look into it much, but maybe only up to GL4, i could be wrong though.

Without question from what I read, many people have good luck with gear oil, for me, I dont think it will make any difference in transmission life one way or the other but I think standard GL1 motor oil is the best choice, as you also want that oil to flow and splash easily around the bearings in the transmission.

I think also if it was the best choice for HD, they would simply market one as well. There are cases where the gear oils do help people with clunky transmissions, Im just not one of them.
Everyone has their thing, if your bike shifts nicer with a gear oil then use one.
With any gear lube you want it to be MT-1 and MIL PREF 2015 specified. Many GL5 lubes carry that spec and will have buffered sulfur. Most MT-1 and MIL PRF 2105 gear lubes will also say GL4 on the bottle. What I have found is a GL4 lube without GL5 specs on the bottle are not a good choice. The sulfur will not be a buffered kind and will eat up the soft metals in there including the stator. TSC has a GL1 lube that is cheap but it is less viscous than Formula + so I'd stay away from it. That's the only other GL1 I have seen. The Formula + is more of a thicker (more viscous) end of the spec 20w50 motor oils and 80w90 gear lubes.

If a bottle says GL4 only on it with no MIL PRF 2105 spec or MT1 spec, I would not use it. It will work great but will eat up them soft metals.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Location
Where you live
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum