Recommendations for transmission and primary oil - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Location: Not where I want to be and looks like I'll never get there.
BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike BOUTYM is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
I really notice it when I my 07 is cooking, like when backing in a spot. I was plumber, cut deer, ect, but I just don't like that smell.
I notice the smell from time to time and yes it stinks. Funny thing, I was on a long car trip once and had to get the oil changed. Went to one of those quick change places and they tried their best to get me to let them change the diff lube because it 'stinks' and should be changed when it stinks.

I was a little bored and figured I might as well break this one off in their ass (they did drop it right in my lap after all), so I told them I wanted to smell it. They eagerly brought me a sample of my lube and I agreed that it smelled like crap. I then asked them what it should smell like and for my own curiosity would like to smell some brand new lube. Probably no need to say where this one ended up.
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #47 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
I really notice it when I my 07 is cooking, like when backing in a spot. I was plumber, cut deer, ect, but I just don't like that smell.
What you are smelling is the EP additives, which are primarily made up from sulphur.
George
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Is that some kind of omen, to change my evil ways?

berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
FNG :)

sportsterOhio wants to know Dino or Syn?
close to equal weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_R_US View Post
So am really enjoying the "new" '05 FLH :-) Got back from the HD shop with the gasket and o-ring set for the primary fluid change and plan on doing it tomorrow AM prior to riding. The service manual calls out HD 20W50 oil in all locations, but the "kid" at the service desk recommended Bel-Ray, Blue Purple, you name it gear oil for the transmission, he said you could use vegetable oil in the primary (I hope he was kidding). Me, I was surprised to see HD recommend 20W50 for the transmission as I would think gear oil would be what one would want. I've got Mobil 1 gear oil in the garage and am planning on putting Mobil 1 20W50 in the primary. Is there a serious problem in using gear oil in the transmission or is the motor company going low viscosity for better mpg ?

Thanks ,

John

20W50 engine oil is similar weight to 80W90 gear oil. They are measured differently. More importantly. Pick a good brand synthetic and change it per recommended schedule. Changing oil too frequently is bad as well. The lifecycle of additives is important. First there are a lot of detergents in fresh oil of which impacts lubricants. Once the detergents are utilized lubricant additives perform better.
sportsterOhio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #50 (permalink)
IronButt

y2k-fxst wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have ran synthetic 20-50 Harley oil in my motor, Dextron III or IV in the primary, and whatever gear lube I have on hand or grab off the shelf at Wally World in the trans. I have 60,000 on my bike still on the original clutch pack and primary chain, and never had issues with the trans.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #51 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

exclusive wants to know Dino or Syn?
Spectro heavy duty 75w140 in trans "as per bakers request to maintain warrenty for DD7. Amsoil 20w50 syn engine and primary. "As per Barnett clutch instructions. DO NOT USE HARLEY FORMULA +.
exclusive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #52 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mistert wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wink Lubes?

Just about all the posts you read about what is the "right" lube to use are going to be correct if you use some common sense and a quality brand oil. I had a small shop for several years and the big difference was when synthetics were introduced and recommended. Oil remained cleaner, much less wear and in most cases the engines ran quieter. It leaves a nice film on all the internals for added start-up protection. Tolerances in gears got tighter, aluminum is used much more, increase in hp and torque...I'll note that the magnet in the drain plugs is for a GOOD reason. It collects any particles of metal that happen to break or wear off so they don't get continually cycled around throughout the engine, tranny or primary. I've also used a variety of lubes on a wide array of bikes depending on age, mileage, riding conditions and rider demands. Recommendations: What does the manufacturer say...if you have a Baker tranny, ask Baker. I personally use H-D fluids.
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #53 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

starwarrior9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recently got caught on a nice hot day in a nasty traffic jamb for a good 2 hours. Well I noticed the next day it was shifting kind of funny and figured a clutch adjustment couldn't hurt. When I pulled the derby cover I found the Redline Primary oil smelled and looked totally cooked. Man you can't mistake the smell of burnt oil and when I rubbed it between my finger's there was absolutely no lubricity. Honestly I think piss would have held up better. I adjusted the clutch and switched to Amsoil 10W40. Although I haven't had the pleasure of another TJ like that one but she seems to be running much cooler. I checked it again after 1K and everything seems and sounds AOK. So much to be said for Redline Primary Oil.

The Bottom line:

(E) Amsoil 20W50 MCO
(T) Redline Heavy w/Shockproof or Amsoil 75W140 Servere Gear Oil
(P) Amsoil 10W40 MCO

2015 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Last edited by starwarrior9; 10-11-2014 at 12:43 AM.
starwarrior9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #54 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The only place I use Redline is in the tranny (heavy shockproof). For the primary I find the Harley primary+ oil good. And for the engine nothing but Mobil 1 20w50 motorcycle oil.
hdrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #55 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

starwarrior9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The little magnet on the drain plug.

Magnets will collect MAGNETIC particles but since the case is made out of aluminum,

2015 FLHXS Street Glide Special
starwarrior9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
IronButt

mark fisher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarrior9 View Post
Magnets will collect MAGNETIC particles but since the case is made out of aluminum,
True, but aluminum is a bit softer than steel or other ferrous metals. Aluminum alloys might not be as much of a threat to damage, especially particulate sizes that would fit through the filter media.
So good filtration and good lubricant are the prime lines of defense for minimizing engine wear...
But why would I (am I) stating the obvious?
mark fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarrior9 View Post
I recently got caught on a nice hot day in a nasty traffic jamb for a good 2 hours. Well I noticed the next day it was shifting kind of funny and figured a clutch adjustment couldn't hurt. When I pulled the derby cover I found the Redline Primary oil smelled and looked totally cooked. Man you can't mistake the smell of burnt oil and when I rubbed it between my finger's there was absolutely no lubricity. Honestly I think piss would have held up better. I adjusted the clutch and switched to Amsoil 10W40. Although I haven't had the pleasure of another TJ like that one but she seems to be running much cooler. I checked it again after 1K and everything seems and sounds AOK. So much to be said for Redline Primary Oil.

The Bottom line:

(E) Amsoil 20W50 MCO
(T) Redline Heavy w/Shockproof or Amsoil 75W140 Servere Gear Oil
(P) Amsoil 10W40 MCO
Gman, educate this guy on how awesome redline is and how wrong he is.

Make him prove it!
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #58 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIS883 View Post
Gman, educate this guy on how awesome redline is and how wrong he is.

Make him prove it!
Still waiting for those failure links Boris........

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #59 (permalink)
IronButt

John Adams wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ahh, never mind.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #60 (permalink)
IronButt

BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Still waiting for those failure links Boris........
My links are reality based. If all you ever learn is learned on line then your reality will be an online one.

I don't make web sites. So keep waiting.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in