Recommendations for transmission and primary oil - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
i gotta tell you i have a 5 speed with spectro 80-140 in it and a 6 speed with redline heavy shockproof in it and i must say the redline does feel as if gives alittle cush to the shifting, but once it's gets hot seems to make no difference. but i may just be getting use to it after riding awhile. i'll run redline in my 5 speed next time i change the trans lube, i think there is none better.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
FNG :)

FLHRC13 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice chat, very informative. I noticed my owners manual on my 2013 FLHRC mentions if you running synthetic oil you can run 20-50 in all three boxes, otherwise they specify certain oils for each. My HD dealer tech told me just put Redline 20-50 synthetic in all three boxes and you'll by happy (and they offer it in there service center also).
FLHRC13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

michael dee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider1 View Post
Use Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in the tranny.

Use Harley Formula+ in the primary.

Use an all synthetic 20w50 in the engine (I use Mobil 1 V-Twin oil)
+1 on this
michael dee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

05fatboy95 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have heard from a few people that the shock proof can be get almost to thick and be tough to get out when it's time for a change. Any one have that issue?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
05fatboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
when i'm due an oil change I will plan t ride it for 30min-1 hour and bring it up to temps and dump it.
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivepearl View Post
when i'm due an oil change I will plan t ride it for 30min-1 hour and bring it up to temps and dump it.
That is HOW you are supposed to do it.

Redline will come out at most any temp... HOT is the way ANY Oil Change Should be done.

IT IS a 75w250..........

signed....BUBBIE
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt

I've never used shockproof but always change my oil HOT. Just heard its been tough to get out.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
FNG :)

eglide97 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amsoil 20w50 in engine and primary and Amsoil Severe gear 75w90 in tranny. Love it.
eglide97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=05fatboy95;2590890]

I've never used shockproof but always change my oil HOT. Just heard its been tough to get out.

Yes it IS,,,, it Never all leaves the Tranny...
Gears, Bearings, shift forks and Shafts ALWAYS Coated...

The Cool thing about it Coating everything is the Seldom Occasion when someone FORGETS to re-fill the tranny after Draining ShockProof Heavy OUT...

Running it for some miles (Heard of 400+) THEN adding Redline back IN.... No Problems...

Now, try that with a regular sin3 or another not the best oil and you will have JUNK for a tranny..

I don't know IF on this forum or another where the guy rode his bike with no Tranny oil (drained)... REMEMBER when Smelling it HOT,,, THEN Putting His oil in (?oil)... Running it for 50 miles (my suggestion) then draining it out early...Only to find TONS of metal on the magnetic plug and slivers in the new oil drained... Showed pictures and BAD is what it was....

The Redline guy did the same, added Redline SP back into that tranny ......than ran it and changed it Early also... but Found NO metal on the Magnetic plug OR in tranny oil because of his screw-up...

Yes REDLINE SHOCKPOOF HEAVY (my preference) Sticks to all and IS hard to Drain all that coats out (ALL would never come out) and I'm Glad of it and so is the guy Who ran it dry after draining His Pink Stuff out.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by BUBBIE; 07-30-2013 at 09:03 PM.
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt

I may just have to give the shock proof a try then.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Do other tranny lubes have the stench of Redline? I am guessing them might, cause I notice gear lube for my trucks rear end smells the same. When the bike gets hot it just stinks. I don't mind smells normally.

berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
They all stink... it's the Dinosaur turd they add that gives it's distinctive smell.

Last edited by Olivepearl; 08-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I really notice it when I my 07 is cooking, like when backing in a spot. I was plumber, cut deer, ect, but I just don't like that smell.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gear oil is graded on a different scale than motor oil. 75W-90 gear oil is roughly equivalent to a 20W-50 motor oil.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Back to the discussion of changing hot. Ya you are supposed to, but I don't think enough stays in freak out about. I have at times let it drain over night.

The drain plug is in a poor spot for the tranny. I prop mine on 2x6, and let it sit for while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in