Reusable oil filter question - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The manufacturers of the reusable filters claim that micron ratings don't mean much without an efficiency rating for that particular micron. If I follow them correctly, a filter may be "able" to stop particles as small as 5 microns, but many may get past it. How that makes a 30 micron reusable filter look better, I don't know.

Last edited by rob71458; 03-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the K&P, here is the greatest testment that I know of. Dan Bailey of Bailey's Performance insists that if he builds you a motor that it uses K&P filter. The problem with the 5 micron filter is that when the filter is in bypass mode everything gets by. On these fitlers it is absolute rating. I would say Dan Baisley is among the most respected builders out there.
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

If Dan insists on it, Then I am sure they must be an improvement over OEM. Good to know.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ride Free

BoomerBob wants to know Dino or Syn?
But do these filters really need to be cleaned every 1k miles? I can see every 2500 but 1k makes for a high maintenance filter. A K&N gets changed on my bikes every 5k along with the oil and the oil looks great even then.

The FAQ says every oil change but is that correct for a Harley?

Edit: Where would the best be to mail order a K&P?

Last edited by BoomerBob; 03-27-2009 at 03:42 PM.
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
But do these filters really need to be cleaned every 1k miles? I can see every 2500 but 1k makes for a high maintenance filter. A K&N gets changed on my bikes every 5k along with the oil and the oil looks great even then.

The FAQ says every oil change but is that correct for a Harley?

Edit: Where would the best be to mail order a K&P?
every oil change is recommended. I change at 3000-5000 miles. Schnitzracing.com has them for $119.95 shipped.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtclassic View Post
every oil change is recommended. I change at 3000-5000 miles. Schnitzracing.com has them for $119.95 shipped.
I've got it bookmarked now.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

See Boomer, I thought this was worth looking into.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71458 View Post
See Boomer, I thought this was worth looking into.
Yep. I'm glad you brought it up. At $120 the filter will pay for itself fairly quickly for someone who puts a lot of miles on their bike. Figure a K&N goes for $15 a pop. In 8 oil changes it has paid for itself.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

That and the potential power gain! How did you decide between the two? The Pure power looked a little higher tech. and still has a bypass valve.

Last edited by rob71458; 03-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Baisley said they did not get any power increase but they did see a reduction in oil temps.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
RUB wanna be

mungo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been using the K&P now for about four years. Good product. It's actually been on a couple of bikes of mine now. I clean it at every oil change.

2004 Night Train
2009 Street Glide
mungo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
FNG :)

BigMark wants to know Dino or Syn?
Reusable Oil Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71458 View Post
Has anyone tried the oil filters that you can clean out? I heard they flow better than the paper type (hp increase) and still offer good filtration. Pure Power offers one that flows 20gpm more than a stock filter. The billet housings have a cooling affect and they have a magnet inside. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Old thread I know but................
I fitted one to my FXR a couple of years back. The bike is running S&S super E, Andrews EV3, Screamin Eagle Ignition, Sampson pipes & a bit of head work.
The difference noticed straight away was it ticked over slightly better, apart from that no difference. & I ride it hard!
I have done about 15,000 miles with it now & was doing a 500 mile round trip every weekend during the summer at 90 plus MPH & what can I say, it does the trick, I do an oil change every using Valvoline 15/50 every 3000 miles or so. The filter doesn't really need cleaning, a few little bits the magnet hasn't picked up anything yet.
I can't fault it.
BigMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Rodzilla6 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Three of us have been running them the last two years. Work like a charm and has cooling fins which help. If you read the detailed specs for these vs paper filters, these are better. We converted an engine builder we know and he said his oil temp went down twenty degrees. Has a nut on end for removal.
Rodzilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Rodzilla6 wants to know Dino or Syn?
As far as microns, check the specs...the paper ones are rated on a range...they may filter down to five, but let thru up to three hundred micron boulders...the stainless steel ones never let any over thirty thru...read the detailed specs on each...so far I'm happy...
Rodzilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

hogcowboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't want to side track this thread but got a question about reusable filters. How do you clean them? I mean I already have trouble getting rid of used oil. What else would I have to be getting rid of? Some kind of solvent too?

hogcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in