Front brake activates the brake light but the rear brake doesn't : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
I haven't seen your bird.

MadCity is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Front brake activates the brake light but the rear brake doesn't

Okay, I did the obligatory search and couldn't find an answer to my question. I just noticed today that the front brake lever activates my brake light, but the back brake pedal does not. Are the two independent of each other (two lights and one is burned out)? I took off the brake light cover to take a look, but there's some sort of wiring harness in there and I'm reluctant to pull it apart in case I muck things up and don't have any brake light at all. As you can tell, I'm not a mechanical wunderkind. The bike is a 2003 Sportster Custom 1200.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not sure about a sporty but mine has a pressure switch for rear brake and a mechanical plunger-type switch in the hand control for the front brake. If it was mine, I would check the electrical leads running from the pressure switch to the brake light. To see if you have a similar setup you can trace brake line from rear master cyl/rear caliper and see if you have a switch in the line, then look for wiring issues. Could also be a bad pressure switch?
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
AXTELLERATOR

relxn88 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCity View Post
Okay, I did the obligatory search and couldn't find an answer to my question. I just noticed today that the front brake lever activates my brake light, but the back brake pedal does not. Are the two independent of each other (two lights and one is burned out)? I took off the brake light cover to take a look, but there's some sort of wiring harness in there and I'm reluctant to pull it apart in case I muck things up and don't have any brake light at all. As you can tell, I'm not a mechanical wunderkind. The bike is a 2003 Sportster Custom 1200.
Yep, the front brake uses a mechanical on/off switch with the handle. The foot brake has a hydraulic switch off the brake line from the cylinder for your foot brake. Follow the brake line from the foot brake cylinder back about a foot or so. You'll see the switch with two wires attached. (*Note, if any of the wires are off-there's your problem.) When you press the foot brake, it closes the the hydraulic switch and allows current to pass. You can test it by taking the two wires off and short them together with a jumper. With the jumper in place and the key on, the brake light should come on proving the hydraulic switch is the problem.
relxn88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I'll go take a look.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmmm, I traced the brake line from the rear master cylinder on the right side of the bike as it snakes around behind the engine and over to the left side of the bike, where it finally mates with the rear brake. I didn't find anything that looked like a switch with two wires attached to it. The brake line begins as a thin metal tube out of the rear master cylinder, then mates with a thicker rubber hose, which attaches on the other side to another short, thin metal tube before joining up again with a thicker rubber hose. That attaches to the rear brake. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just didn't see anything that looked like a switch. Time to call the dealer, I guess. I've spent too much time out there already this year.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
It doesn't look like a switch, it looks more like a oil or temp sending unit with two wires connected to it. I had the same problem recently so I replaced it and now the rear brake activates the brake light.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRiderCustom View Post
It doesn't look like a switch, it looks more like a oil or temp sending unit with two wires connected to it. I had the same problem recently so I replaced it and now the rear brake activates the brake light.
I had the same problem on my fxr this past year and had the rear brake unit replaced.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

It was, in fact, the rear brake light switch. I couldn't find it because it's covered up by a black rubber boot. The dealer replaced the switch but also had to install new terminal ends, all part of a kit selling for $20. Even though my bike is a 2003 model, they installed this kit that was redesigned after a recall of more than 300,000 touring bikes and trikes from the 2009-2012 model years. Tack on 50 minutes of labor, and my little switch replacement set me back $69 and change. Oh well, I want both of my brakes to activate the brake light, and now they do.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in