Wobble,rear steer, true-track? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

chromeme wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wobble,rear steer, true-track?

Has any one else had a wooble from their Bagger,I have a 2001(42000 miles) electra glide classic that recently started woobleing in corners, mostly at hiway speeds, i have tighteen the neck bearings and it was better for a week or so then it (wobble)came back, So i stopped at the dealer and they said to tighten the neck bearings some more,so i did.Now i have it set up so theirs no extra swing in the bars when u let go of the bars,(bike in the air on lift) seems to be some what better, but i feel their is more that i can do . Has any one replaced the swing arm bushings in this model and had postive results stopping the uneasy feeling when the bike wiggles in the slighest of corners my bung hloe goes to max closer, not a wonderful feeling ,any sugestions will be helpful,(other than take it to the dealer) I very capeful of doing any repairs just need to know where to starte first. Also would like to hear from people that have tried the True Track device and if it really works like they say. thanks in advance. Jejj B
chromeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Slinger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 06 E-Glide Ultra. I noticed more at slow speeds, especially in cornering there was a wobble. While at Sturgis this year I went ahead and had the true trac installed. Hafta tell ya I was really skeptical about the product. I was really nervous when they didn't even seem to have any kind of warrenty or anything. I noticed an immediate differance when going around corners. To really test it out we went on a ride up at Custer Park in the twisties. Havta say I was convinced. The bike seemed to corner alot smoother and I didn't get thrown out into the curve.
I think it works although the price is a sore spot, at least with me.
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

chromeme wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks Slinger, I agree with u on the price ,a little steep if u ask me, i also had a slight wobble at low speed, but tightning up the neck bearings made it go away. Glad u like the true track, i just might have to get one, but if thats what it take for me to keep the bike on the road then so be it. just seems that H.D. ought to fix this issue with their bike's.
chromeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

FlaFatBoy wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is also another product to look at similar to True-Track called RideSTR8.

Randy
FlaFatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

RB Jones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Also, if you have laced wheels, check the spokes. Loose spokes will allow the wheel to distort and you can get a nasty wobble from it.

RB
RB Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

capn_buzzcut wants to know Dino or Syn?
All baggers wobble in the corners because the rear of the drivetrain is secured to the frame by rubber bushings. There's nothing to keep it from moving laterally. That's what the Ride-Str8 and Tru-Track do.

Check your tires. When the rear starts getting worn to the point that it's flat in the center, I notice the wobbling much more. Nice round new tires track much better through corners and on uneven roads.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
STB
IronButt

STB wants to know Dino or Syn?
works

as advertised: True Trak.

I installed one on a 2004 Road King with 27k miles and my bud put one on his Ultra Classic, 2002 with 35k miles. I did not replace the motor mount or anything else. He replaced his motor mount. We both checked our engine alignment Then we both rode the dreaded killer curve which is guaranteed to give you rear tire steer in a hurry. No rear tire steer and we both felt that the bikes wanted to fall into the curve as opposed to wobbling out of the curve. With that being said, there is still a small bit of rear tire steer, even though probably 90% is gone. All that 10% did was give each of us the hibbie gibbies since that 10% wobble was always a precurser to "will I survive this curve." But, there was never more than 10% rear tire steer after the true track was installed. The bikes handled identically even though I did not replace the lower motor mount.

Since rear tire steer is deadly, anything which reduces and/or eliminates it is worth the money unless you stay on the porch.

STB
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

RB Jones wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_buzzcut
All baggers wobble in the corners because the rear of the drivetrain is secured to the frame by rubber bushings. There's nothing to keep it from moving laterally. That's what the Ride-Str8 and Tru-Track do.

Check your tires. When the rear starts getting worn to the point that it's flat in the center, I notice the wobbling much more. Nice round new tires track much better through corners and on uneven roads.
I don't agree that all baggers wobble. My Road King Classic was solid in the corners for 30,000 miles, even with two up and luggage, until my rear spokes stretched out and loosened. That's when the wobble set in. Rear wheel wobble can feel like it's in the front end.

I do agree that a bad tire or poorly balanced wheel can do the same thing. I don't know why mechs don't tell people to check the rear wheel and tire first before tightening the front end bearings. Seems bassakward to me.
RB Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

SCHOONER1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exclamation 1985 flht rearend woogle

Hi Guys

My '85 rearean woobles also. I hear to correct that problem is to get a STABILIZER.

The problem from what i've read is in the SWINGARM, THE RUBBER BUSHINGS.They don't hold the swingarm steady while we are going into & in a wide turn or short at speeds over 50mph at least that's my experience.

Do any you guys know where I can buy one to fit my 1985flht ?

THAT UNDER $399.00

From what I understand that will correct the problem 4 me

Schooner
GOD BLESS ALL
SCHOONER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement