Widest Tire For 21" Front : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

christian biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Widest Tire For 21" Front

I'm running a Dunlop MH90-21 tire at present. Do they make a wider tire that will still clear the fender? I'm looking for more contact with the pavement, especially in the curves. Also would appreciate your thoughts on switching to a 19" Sportster type front wheel/tire combo. Would it provide a substantial increase in gripping the pavement, or not enough to go through the hassle.
christian biker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I converted to a 21" front on my FXD and have never found anything wider than the 90. Not sure what kind of speeds you're doing through the turns, but I've never had a problem holding the pavement with mine, but you may want to look into doing the same thing I am, that being switching to Metzeler at the next tire change.
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

WildBill2566 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Metzler do a 120/70 21" in their ME880 Marathon range, but you need an aftermarket rim and fender.

WB
WildBill2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Prky Pg wants to know Dino or Syn?
The MH 90 Dunlop, I believe is a 80/90 size tire. I run a 90/90-21 Metzeler on my 2000 WG and it is a little taller so the fender looks tighter to the tire. It is also wider but it fits between the fender supports without modifiying anything. I think it is a much better tire all around than the Dunlop.
Prky Pg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pimp Daddy

sr1032 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree, just throw a 90/90-21 on there instead of the MH or the 80/90 and you'll be good to go. Most 21 inch front end bikes will start scraping the concrete before you run out sidewall on even the MH in the twistys. Chance are that if you have a 21 front then you have a WG front end and it will look silly with a 19" front IMO...

1981 FXB Sturgis, 2004 Dyna Wide Glide, 2007 Night Train
sr1032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

christian biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks guys, I'll check out the Metzler. And yea I agree about the 19'' looking silly, have to figure a way to at least lower the fender.
I've not really had a problem with the Dunlop, just if I can get more contact with the pavement....I want it. Again, thanks.
christian biker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

nidan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been running a 90/90 X 21Avon AM41 Venom for a year now , love it .. notice that the O6 WG's made it standard

2009 FJR 1300
nidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

95BadBoy wants to know Dino or Syn?
New. Dunlap. Elite-3 90/90/21 redesigned tire.
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Nytmare wants to know Dino or Syn?
06...Huh? My 03 NT came standard w/ a Dunlop 90/90-21.
I changed it to a 21x3 spoke w/a Metz.120/70-21 because I wanted more grip- huge ride quality increase to boot.
Nytmare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

WildBill2566 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytmare
I changed it to a 21x3 spoke w/a Metz.120/70-21 because I wanted more grip- huge ride quality increase to boot.
Can you give me details of the fender you used, and have you got any pics.

Thanks

WB
WildBill2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytmare
Ya think the 120/70-21 would work on my Superglide? I switched to a American Wire 21" laced wheel and have the MH90 on it now, but will be switching to Metzelers when tire change time comes around. Wouldn't mind something a little wider if it will fit.
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Nytmare wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm in the process of making (modifying) a fender for my NT. There are several places that have fenders for the 120 tire, but I can't see shelling out $300 or more. You might try looking at a Japanese bike wrecking yard. A lot of the parts will bolt right up.
On the other question, I changed my front wheel to a 21x3. The 120 will not fit on a stock front rim (2.15x21). I bought a Landmark wheel from my local Indy. shop. He gave me an excellent price, so it pays to shop around.
I'll have to get back to you guys on the pix. I wasn't planning on posting the pix 'til I've finished the front fender, but maybe I can get some in progress stuff posted.
Nytmare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

03wglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check out Metzler's fitment chart, it tells you what you can get away with: http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/tyres...&confirm=false
03wglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.