fork tube change : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

lectraglidedad wants to know Dino or Syn?
fork tube change

Do you think I can swap my electraglide 41mm fork tubes and internal components from my pre 2000 forks into later fork lowers? So I can use the newer style calipers and wheels.
lectraglidedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

84FXRP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectraglidedad
Do you think I can swap my electraglide 41mm fork tubes and internal components from my pre 2000 forks into later fork lowers? So I can use the newer style calipers and wheels.

Get a parts manual for the year forks. Then check the part numbers associated with the fork tubes and internal components. The date part of these part numbers should tell you if those particular parts were used on your current electraglide.
84FXRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

How do you tell the date part of these numbers. I know that the part number for seal rebuilds are the same that's why I'm thinking they might work.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

tban10ec wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think this is the same question I was wanting to ask. I have a 94 FLHR, and I am converting the front brakes to 2000+ style calipers. I have the 2000+ fork lowers and was wanting to know if the internals from my 94 sliders would work in the newer style sliders. Some catalogs refer to the seals being the same from 84-2005, but I can't find anything on the dampers or other parts in the slider.

I have the 94 service manual and parts manual, but that doesn't help me with the 2000+ slider parts.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would really be appreicated! Once I finish this project, I intend to document what it takes to convert the early style calipers to the new style.

Thanks again!
David
tban10ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

84FXRP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectraglidedad
How do you tell the date part of these numbers. I know that the part number for seal rebuilds are the same that's why I'm thinking they might work.
A Harley part number is a five digit number prefix followed by a dash "-" and then a two digit number suffix. (Exception being fasteners)

The five digit number refers to a particular part. The two digit number refers to the year it went into service. (Some exceptions being a letter that follows the two digit number indicating a minor change)

For example: The SLIDER TUBE on the front fork of my 2005 FXDI has a part number of 45395-92. The "45395" refers to a slider tube and the "92" refers to the fact it was first placed into service in 1992.

Hence any FXD slider tube from 1992-2005 is the same.

By looking at the two digit suffix for your bike you can see when a particular part went into service.

You can tell if something WILL work - the part numbers are the same. You CANNOT tell if something WON'T work - the part may still fit/function even it it isn't the current part.
84FXRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tban10ec
I have the 2000+ fork lowers and was wanting to know if the internals from my 94 sliders would work in the newer style sliders.
Thanks again!
David
tban10ec...have you got those shocks tore apart yet!!!?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rails99ca wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put the 2000 and newer type sliders on my 1999 Ultra. They are a direct bolt-on. Harley used to sell a complete kit with lowers, rotors, calipers, spacer, axle, etc. that had everything for the swap to put the newer style setup on 1997-1999 touring bikes and let you keep your old wheel. The part number was 40904-00, but it's been discontinued. The individual components have also been discontinued, but you can get your dealer to order them from the place that buys all the obsolete parts from Harley (can't remember their name). I actually got mine through discountbiker.com in Florida who ordered them from the obsolete part place. I don't know if these parts would fit older bikes or not.

I kept my old wheel since it's got the speedometer drive on it and I don't think it could be adapted to the newer style wheels. Also, to put the newer style wheel on the rear would require a swingarm change and other stuff that's too expensive.

Attached is the instruction sheet for the kit, with all the individual part numbers. Any questions, just ask.
rails99ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for the pdf file rails99ca. That will come in handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement