Removing front wheel : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2002, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hd107 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Removing front wheel

I would like to remove the front wheel on my bike to get the tire replaced. I think I know what to do but just want to check with the experts. Tell me if I am missing any steps.
I have a 2000 Ultra.

Lift the front wheel at least 4 inches off the ground.
Remove the brakes
Deflate the tire
Remove the bolt on the end of the axle
Loosen the two nuts at the bottom of the right fork
Remove the axle and remove the tire.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks for any help.
hd107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2002, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Straydog wants to know Dino or Syn?
hd107, it sounds like you are trying to save yourself some $$ by doing as much of the work as you can. If that's the case, you really should by yourself a service manual. It will pay for itself the first time you use it!
Old 07-29-2002, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hd107 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Actually it is not a question of saving $$. It is just that the shop cannot do it until August 6th, and I wanted to be on the road before then. They told me if I remove the wheel, they will find the time to put the tire on as soon as I bring it in. I usually have them do it but this is one of those exceptions. Any help would be appreciated.
hd107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2002, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

HIPPO wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's easiest to remove the axle when the bike is lifted in such a way that the front wheel is just barely touching the ground.

Pull the calipers, pull the two bolts for the axle cap and pull the axle nut and axle. Now you can lift the bike more to take the wheel out of the fender.

The spacers are not the same, make sure they go in where they came from. Use same process to put axle back in after coating it with antiseize.
Tighten the axle nut. Put a drill bit into the hole on the other end of the axle and pull the right leg to the outside until it touches the drill bit and tighten the cap. Remove drill bit and install calipers.

Be real careful of not bumping the brake rotors during the trip to the tire shop, they bend by just looking at them hard. Do not touch the brake lever when the calipers are off.

Laughing at the devil, Living in the wind
HIPPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.