Warped front rotors - warranty? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Warped front rotors - warranty?

I have 13 limited with around 5K miles and the front rotors are warped. Does anybody know is this can be fixed under warranty? Will be taking it back to the dealer saturday for them to look at it.

Under 10mph if I use the front brakes I'm getting a pulsing fork dive. I've looked at the rotors and there is no signs of being overheated. They look just like the rear rotor.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Probably won't warrant them. My guess is they'll say you rode thru water when the rotors were hot and warped them. Or maybe they'll use the old standby - "have you used a pressure washer on this bike"

They can be straightened but I don't know the process. Use the search function, maybe someone already has posted it.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Tireman wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=jammer45u;2206723]

They can be straightened. TRUE

Depending on how warped or bent they are....I bought a set of take off tires,wheels and rotors from a member here. When I installed them rotors must have got bent a little in shippment so I used a dial indicater attached to the axle and got them with in .002with channel locks (jaws wrapped with tape). Worked for me just be carefull a little tweek at a time.

2009 FLHX
118hp/131tq
Tireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SavageChopper wants to know Dino or Syn?
My dad's '12 Street Glide had the same problem after 10,000 miles. I'm hoping it's not a common problem that I'll have to deal with on my '13. The dealer is gonna consider that a wear item and do a little song an dance.
SavageChopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stock rotors SUCK anyway.I had same issues you describe the pulsing feeling from the warped stockers. Annoying. Get a pair of full floaters and never look back.
Many options available. Look at Lyndall Racing Brakes composite stuff. Pricey but quite good. Even factory HD floaters are pretty good. Had a pair that worked well, now have PM full floater w/ six piston PM caliper. Problem solved.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Warrior72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the rotors on my Night Rod warrantied twice. When I took it in they said it was a wear/maintenance item. I told them if you followed the maintenance schedule, and mileage guidelines there was no reason for them to be bad at this point in time. They agreed and replaced twice. After that the brembo's worked sweet.
Warrior72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Merc63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
http://www.matrixbrakes.com/default.aspx

Warrantied for life.
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dealer warrantied mine on a 2010 FLTRX.I had about that many miles.They found one rotor bad and replaced just the one and was fixed.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Warped stock rotors is a pretty common problem. It's always been a problem but is more noticable now with the new Brembo brakes. The Brembos will tolerate very little warpage before you start to feel the brake pulsation. I learned a lot about this when i changed to a 21in front wheel. My stock rotors were already warped. When i changed my wheel i first went with some one piece aftermarket custom rotors. It wasn't long before they were warped as well. Sent them back and got some two piece rotors - problem solved.

They may replace your stockers under warranty but good chance they will warp again. My advice is go with some good floaters or a two piece design and be done with it.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
more harley junk,they could install good rotors,but make less profit so they put it off on the you.the quaitily of harley parts isvery bad these days you should not have to replace rotors after 10,000 miles that's substandard parts.i 'm not going to buy anymore of their junk unless improvements are made.you know they don't care anyway.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ultra103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My dealer warranties everything - even burned out light bulbs for the two years. They have never balked at repairing anything. Even wash the bike every time.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

Buckeye1951 wants to know Dino or Syn?
This should not be a issue, take it in, let the dealer do his job. I took my 11 RKC with 6,500 miles in, explained what the problem was, had it checked and they replaced the rotors under warranty. I did notice that the new rotors were completely different than the old, maybe a update to correct a bad batch of parts.
Buckeye1951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
Maybe talk to your dealer and if they'll warranty them, see if you can pay just the difference between the H-D floaters and the stock ones..I've seen a couple that would..just a thought.
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
FNG :)

otc-hog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Has any seen PM rotors with warping issues- New pads installed yesterday and the front end is almost bottoming out when stopping. Had new 21' PM wheel and 2 piece PM rotors installed in August 2013 and it has gotten progressively worse.
otc-hog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc-hog View Post
Has any seen PM rotors with warping issues- New pads installed yesterday and the front end is almost bottoming out when stopping. Had new 21' PM wheel and 2 piece PM rotors installed in August 2013 and it has gotten progressively worse.
When you say the front end is bottoming out what exactly are you talking about? With warped rotors you will feel a pulsation in the brake lever when stopping.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.