How many miles can you get on a rear tire? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

perrypogue wants to know Dino or Syn?
How many miles can you get on a rear tire?

I'm new, but learning that riding my Fat Bob may be as expensive as driving my truck. I've got 11,000 miles total seat time but I've bought 2 rear tires and one front tire. Pretty expensive. Then I hear I may wear out a rear tire at 4,000 miles...2 rears for every front tire. Then I met a rider at a dealership and he said he got 10,000 easy on his rear tires. I'd like to hear what some of you get on a rear tire...Thanks.
perrypogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

tweaked1973 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I averaged 10k when I had my sporty, and I got about 8k on the dresser with Dunlops. I put a Michelin on the dresser and usually get 11k. Both on the rear. I got about 20k on the fronts.

A lot of it depends on how hard you are on the throttle.
tweaked1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It is also according to what kind of tire you buy. There is a trade off between long life and gripping the road. Touring tires (harder rubber) last longer, but don't grip as well as sport tires (softer compound). I've been using softer compounds in recent years. I want the extra safety of a tire that grips the road when it is wet. I accept the tire will not last as long.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

brother wants to know Dino or Syn?
06 EG Classic, 12K on rear. 24K on front riding mostly 2up. Not much agressive riding though.
brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
It is also according to what kind of tire you buy. There is a trade off between long life and gripping the road. Touring tires (harder rubber) last longer, but don't grip as well as sport tires (softer compound). I've been using softer compounds in recent years. I want the extra safety of a tire that grips the road when it is wet. I accept the tire will not last as long.
Mike's right. Proper inflation is also important.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrypogue View Post
I'm new, but learning that riding my Fat Bob may be as expensive as driving my truck. I've got 11,000 miles total seat time but I've bought 2 rear tires and one front tire. Pretty expensive. Then I hear I may wear out a rear tire at 4,000 miles...2 rears for every front tire. Then I met a rider at a dealership and he said he got 10,000 easy on his rear tires. I'd like to hear what some of you get on a rear tire...Thanks.
Ive got as many as 18,000 on a rear tire, front 24,000
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

JBourquin wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've averaged 8-10k out of the stock Dunlops in the rear, put a commander II on the last time around. Bout 5k miles so far and it barely looks worn. I think it will do much better than the last ones. As for the front, just hit 47k on the original front tire. Still has just over 3/32 on it but its starting to wear unevenly. Ill probably swap it out the next time I do the rear.

JBourquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrypogue View Post
I'm new,
Mileage on a rear tire depends on the tire pressure, temp, brake/shift usage, rider style, and how they use the tire. 7k to 15k,, it's up to the rider.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Thundermug wants to know Dino or Syn?
12k rear 14k front on a sportster 1200 and I am hard on the throttle.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I got 8K on a rear and 16K on a front on my previous bike, a fatboy, with the stock dunlops. I've got 11k on the rear on my roadglide with the new dual compound tire. Appears I'll get as much as 15K on it. I'm not an aggressive rider, and keep 38 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear.
Naturally, the common people don't want war, neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But the people can be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for their lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.

Hermann Goering at the Nuremburg Trials
Lefty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

tekman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dealership said to me.they're getting guys with 22k on tires... they said check psi weekly...front 36 rear 40...

Sent from my SCH-I535
tekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

07 Fatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I get 5000 to 5500 on the rear and 10,000 to 12,000 on the front, using Dunlop tires.
I like the traction and willing to change more often on my Fatboy.
I also have a 2012 Electra Glide with only 3500 miles on it not sure how long those tires will last. But my riding buddys with the touring bikes are getting over 10,000 miles on Dunlops in the rear.
07 Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
As you've read from all the replies above it depends on just about every factor you can think of. For safety reasons, as well as wear and tread life, overall I feel proper inflation is critical. Rubber compound probably effects the longevity of the tire more than anything, in my opinion. It is not a far reach to expect 12-15k miles from a touring tire, and 7-8K miles from a sport tire under normal riding. I would like to test a "Varied Compound" Tire. Say A hard compound in the middle and gradually softens to the outside. This would give longevity with the hard compound, and stronger grip to the for the twisties.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekman View Post
Dealership said to me.they're getting guys with 22k on tires... they said check psi weekly...front 36 rear 40...

Sent from my SCH-I535
The dealership told you right.. On the Newish 407/408's tire compound that's what to expect on mileage. That's why Michelin had to come up with a tire to compete with the Dunlop's... The Commander II's.....
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

djmiller wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have 18k miles and still have some tread left on the rear, and even more tread remains on the front. Hard to believe but true. Ride a lot of two lane try to stay of the concrete slab. Almost always 2 up when riding.

Last edited by djmiller; 08-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
djmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement