V-Twin Forum banner

How many miles can you get on a rear tire?

15K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  Givrsum 
#1 ·
I'm new, but learning that riding my Fat Bob may be as expensive as driving my truck. I've got 11,000 miles total seat time but I've bought 2 rear tires and one front tire. Pretty expensive. Then I hear I may wear out a rear tire at 4,000 miles...2 rears for every front tire. Then I met a rider at a dealership and he said he got 10,000 easy on his rear tires. I'd like to hear what some of you get on a rear tire...Thanks.

#3 ·
It is also according to what kind of tire you buy. There is a trade off between long life and gripping the road. Touring tires (harder rubber) last longer, but don't grip as well as sport tires (softer compound). I've been using softer compounds in recent years. I want the extra safety of a tire that grips the road when it is wet. I accept the tire will not last as long.

#7 ·
I've averaged 8-10k out of the stock Dunlops in the rear, put a commander II on the last time around. Bout 5k miles so far and it barely looks worn. I think it will do much better than the last ones. As for the front, just hit 47k on the original front tire. Still has just over 3/32 on it but its starting to wear unevenly. Ill probably swap it out the next time I do the rear.

#10 ·
I got 8K on a rear and 16K on a front on my previous bike, a fatboy, with the stock dunlops. I've got 11k on the rear on my roadglide with the new dual compound tire. Appears I'll get as much as 15K on it. I'm not an aggressive rider, and keep 38 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear.

#12 ·
I get 5000 to 5500 on the rear and 10,000 to 12,000 on the front, using Dunlop tires.
I like the traction and willing to change more often on my Fatboy.
I also have a 2012 Electra Glide with only 3500 miles on it not sure how long those tires will last. But my riding buddys with the touring bikes are getting over 10,000 miles on Dunlops in the rear.

#13 ·
As you've read from all the replies above it depends on just about every factor you can think of. For safety reasons, as well as wear and tread life, overall I feel proper inflation is critical. Rubber compound probably effects the longevity of the tire more than anything, in my opinion. It is not a far reach to expect 12-15k miles from a touring tire, and 7-8K miles from a sport tire under normal riding. I would like to test a "Varied Compound" Tire. Say A hard compound in the middle and gradually softens to the outside. This would give longevity with the hard compound, and stronger grip to the for the twisties.

#17 ·
Michelin Commanders, not Commander II's, front & rear 6,000 miles. Guess I ride hard...dunno :dunno:

#18 ·
I have a 13 Ultra, put on a new tire at 16.6K miles. I still a bit meat before the wear bars would be a tread depth.

#20 ·
never got more than 12k out of any rear, I don't run them bald tho,

#24 ·
FXSTC '07
4 sets of Dunlop's 8600 =/- 1 set Michelin Commander IIs 8600 +/- Commanders cupped. Now riding on Dunlop American Elites, just a few hundred miles quiet and smooth. Very little Highway mileage.

Al

#25 ·
On my 2007 Deuce I got 9,500 on the stock Dunlop rear and 12,000 out of the Dunlop front. I am adament about monitoring the pressures and about 20% of the mileage is two up. Our temps in northern MN are pretty reasonable and I do not hot rod the bike or do burnouts. I was a little disappointed that I did get about 3,000 more miles out of each, but the dealer and other owners say that is about normal for a softail. I also just rode them down to the wear bars and not bald.

#28 ·
Averaged about 10 thou on my Dunlop's rear and 16 on the front that came stock on my 98 heritage. Then the last few rear Avon Venom X I got 13,000. A bit more on the fronts. Usually take them down till there is a little tread showing. Been happy with the Avon's. Now that they discontinued the Venom X's hopefully the Cobras will give me the same mileage when I change again.

#30 ·
i've tried a few and end up back with the dunlap. some give better grab but don't last. i seem to get 10-12k out of a rear and 16k out of a front. i'm due for a rear when i get my spring service this year. been looking at some new wheels cause i'm tired of spoke shining, lol getting older sucks.

#31 ·
That was pretty much the same tire wear for me on most brands, give or take a few thousand miles depending on brand Avon Venom X, Dunlop 402s or metz 880s. That is when I lived in Upstate New York ( lots of twisties)

Then I moved to North western South Carolina.
The back tire wear seems the same, but the front tire last almost half of what it used to. I might get 11 or 12 k out of a front now if I am lucky. Same type of riding here, lots of twisties in the mountains of SC and NC.
I don't know what is causing it, maybe the heat?
Anybody else from the area shed some light on this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.