Metzeler ME888 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Two Brothers wants to know Dino or Syn?
Metzeler ME888

Rumor has it Metzeler has a new tire coming out. It's a redo of the ME880. The new name will be the ME888.

Maybe a Jan 2013 release date. I'll keep everyone updated.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Two Brothers wants to know Dino or Syn?
FYI
Metzeler’s new ME888 Marathon Ultra, dubbed the Triple Eight (888), is an evolution of the company’s high-mileage ME880, Christopher Wall, Metzler marketing director, told Parts Unlimited sales representatives this week at the company’s annual National Vendor Presentation here. But the tire won’t be available until the first quarter of 2013.

Pricing and specs on the tire aren’t being revealed in Metzeler’s soft launch here at the NVP. “We just want dealers to be aware that it’s coming,” Wall said, noting that "it's the only ultra mileage V-Twin tire with Metzeler peformance and handling."
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Will it be rated for more mile (I wonder)?

I hope they will make it in a white wall version like the 880.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

FL8X wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any idea if Metzeler is going to make a low profile tire to fit the 19" front wheels? Been wanting to pull the tigger on the 19" Agitator wheel but only tire I've seen is the Dunlop and I dont like to miss match tires.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
SE Stage I Cleaner with K&N Filter
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2

FL8X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

HDSG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Will it be rated for more mile (I wonder)?

I hope they will make it in a white wall version like the 880.
They are calling it a "Utral High Mileage V Twin Tire" , isn't that the point?
HDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSG View Post
They are calling it a "Utral High Mileage V Twin Tire" , isn't that the point?
Yeah, you would think, but "ultra" doesn't tell me anything in terms of "how many". That's just hype as far as I'm concerned.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Yeah, you would think, but "ultra" doesn't tell me anything in terms of "how many". That's just hype as far as I'm concerned.
Kinda like 'quality' huh?

"Try our quality meats". What quality? High, low, disgusting?

Or 'deserve'.

"Come to Mike's, for the service you deserve". Do you know me? How do you know what I deserve?

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba

Last edited by Homesick; 09-26-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Kinda like 'quality' huh?

"Try our quality meats". What quality? High, low, disgusting?

Or 'deserve'.

"Come to Mike's, for the service you deserve". Do you know me? How do you know what I deserve?

joe
Sorry for the hijack, but I could start a thread on ambiguous advertising terms that annoy me. My wife bought 2 bags of Lays kettle cooked potato chips this week. One was labeled "40% less fat". As I looked closer there were small letters underneath that said "than regular potato chips". I compared the fat content to the other bag (which did not have that label on it) and it was about 25% less than that one. So my question is: what is a "regular" potato chip? What are they comparing to?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Sorry for the hijack, but I could start a thread on ambiguous advertising terms that annoy me. My wife bought 2 bags of Lays kettle cooked potato chips this week. One was labeled "40% less fat". As I looked closer there were small letters underneath that said "than regular potato chips". I compared the fat content to the other bag (which did not have that label on it) and it was about 25% less than that one. So my question is: what is a "regular" potato chip? What are they comparing to?
I feel ya.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 09-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

FL8X wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I hope Im posting this in the right post, seeing as this is not related to a advertisement. I did contact Metzeler myself about the ME 880 130/60/19, they say they are researching the Dunlop to see if there is a big enough market for the tire to justify the set up and production cost to make the tire, but didn't really give any time frame on it. My reply back to them was if they looked on most the Harley forum online, they would read a see all the complaints about side wall splitting and poor handling issue with the Dunlop and that I would be one of the first to buy the tire if they did release it. So hopefully Metzeler will be releasing the tire soon.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
SE Stage I Cleaner with K&N Filter
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2

FL8X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Ok, I apologize again for hijacking.

My curiosity was about what the differences are between the ME880 and the new ME888. There is no setup cost with continuing to produce the great tire they already make. I would think that is the comparison they should be reviewing and not comparing to Dunlop.

I assume they would like to get some new customers who currently use other brands, but will they phase out the 880 and lose current customers? Will the 888 be more expensinve than the 880? Will it be worth more money?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Ok, I apologize again for hijacking.

My curiosity was about what the differences are between the ME880 and the new ME888. There is no setup cost with continuing to produce the great tire they already make. I would think that is the comparison they should be reviewing and not comparing to Dunlop.

I assume they would like to get some new customers who currently use other brands, but will they phase out the 880 and lose current customers? Will the 888 be more expensinve than the 880? Will it be worth more money?
Stay tuned!

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

HDMoneyPit wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well my last rear tire was a Metz 880, 6000 miles out of it was all i could manage, tire started to feather on the sidetread really bad, tire flattened out real bad, real fast, air pressure was right so dont start that argument, anyways wasnt for me, i just put the new Michilan Commander 2 on mine, they say the milage should be over 20,000 ive only put 30 miles on it so far, but its still holding air, that a good thing
HDMoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like the Metz's, i've been running ME880's for years when i switched to 18" front and read on a bagger. The handling change in just the 18's vs the 16's was substantial. We'll have to see what differences they make with the ME880s.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMoneyPit View Post
Well my last rear tire was a Metz 880, 6000 miles out of it was all i could manage, tire started to feather on the sidetread really bad, tire flattened out real bad, real fast, air pressure was right so dont start that argument, anyways wasnt for me, i just put the new Michilan Commander 2 on mine, they say the milage should be over 20,000 ive only put 30 miles on it so far, but its still holding air, that a good thing
They? Who is they? I assume if they say so, it must be true.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement