Michelin Commander II new tire - Page 5 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #61 (permalink)
IronButt

67duce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any body else besides goldie1951 got 10k + yet that can leave some feedback ?

How are they for wear , and handling / road feel on open grate bridges , tar snakes, cracks and wet traction ?
67duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #62 (permalink)
IronButt

reg26 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Doesn't sound better than the 17000 Ive gotten on each of my last two Dunlops 407's that came stock on my Street Glide. Each of those tires had 2/32 left on them but they did loose allot of the round profile twords the end
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #63 (permalink)
Premium Member

Eleft36 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67duce View Post
Any body else besides goldie1951 got 10k + yet that can leave some feedback ?

How are they for wear , and handling / road feel on open grate bridges , tar snakes, cracks and wet traction ?
How do you rate what you have now?
Answer your own question about the brand on your bike now.

I have Commander II's and they are quieter, smoother, and the bike feels as if it is easier to handle than the HD Dunlap's.
4000 miles non highway, now on them.

Al
Stock 110" mufflers Stock Heads Andrews 26 Cams SE103" BB Kit Zippers Cam Chain Tensioners SE Compensator Mustang Wide Touring Seat Stock Bars H.D. Oil Cooler 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags with HD Deluxe modified guards H-D Windshield Thunder Max A/T 2005 S E Tour Pack Progressive Shocks & fork Mono Tube kit
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #64 (permalink)
IronButt

67duce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Since I haven't got to put any miles on my HD yet the only reference I have is my metric. I replaced the front tire on it because of age, didn't put enough miles on it before I replaced it to have a comparison to the Bridgestone I replaced , 16yrs old didn't even want to ride with it.

The front one at 6k and the rear at 12k , I put Shinko 230 tour masters on. The front is about ready again with 10k on it the rear only has 4k , still looks pretty good but I don't see it going 12k like the Bridgestone did. The front one was really pretty decent at 1st but seems to be falling off in the last 2k as in being more affected by road irregularities. The traction is good , does vary well in wet conditions. The rear was an improvement over the 16yr old Bridgestone. I would say the Shinko's are pretty good tires for the money but are short life tires as the performance falls off towards the end of the tread life.

The MCII's are touted as lasting almost twice as long as the competitors so I'm asking to find out if this is true in the real world and over all satisfaction with them. Guess they just havn't been out long enough yet to see if they will really go the distance as advertised.

The FXSTD I will take delivery of this week is kinda the same boat as in 11 yr old tires on it so I will be replacing the front one right away. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the MCII's or wait and go with a Metz or Avon this time.
67duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #65 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Commander II's mounted

Finally installed my Commander II on the rear of my FLSTS. Haven't ridden too far yet. Can't feel anything different from the Dunlop I replaced.. I'll keep posted any good information...
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #66 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

11_FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Michelin Commander 2 (Rear) on FLSTC 2011 (Heritage)

Discovered my stock Dunlop D401 (Rear) was barely at 3/32 when a couple of screws made it into the tire. I was really baffled to see that kind of wear after only 3700 miles. I maintained tire pressure faithfully and do not ride like a maniac. This immediately led me to consider a different type of tire.

My instinct was to replace it with a Metzeler ME 880 Marathon when a respected/trusted individual in the biz told me to try the Commander 2. I ordered on on pure faith and a bit of reading on this forum.

I picked up the bike today and the first thing I noticed was how skinny the tire looked on the bike! I took the bike to the freeway immediately and, admittedly, it did feel squirrely at first but after getting used to the difference for about 15 minutes, I think the stock Dunlop was just more sluggish. The Commander is much more responsive and the Heritage began to feel like it was riding like a sports bike.

I can't say I am too happy with or understand why the tire looks so skinny. It is the same exact size as the stock Dunlop (150/80 R16). Can anyone shed any light on this difference? Could I or should I have ordered a wider/fatter size in the Michelin. I mean I think it is skinnier than the front Dunlop. I would really prefer a wider fatter tire on the rear.
11_FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #67 (permalink)
IronButt

I can't say I am too happy with or understand why the tire looks so skinny. It is the same exact size as the stock Dunlop (150/80 R16). Can anyone shed any light on this difference? Could I or should I have ordered a wider/fatter size in the Michelin. I mean I think it is skinnier than the front Dunlop. I would really prefer a wider fatter tire on the rear.[/QUOTE]

11 FLSTC
After reading your post I've been looking at my New rear commander II and can't see anything skinny. Looks about the same to me. Mine was the 130/90-16 size. If that makes a difference ?? Don't have my old tire to try and compare..

Last edited by cata5803; 11-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.
cata5803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #68 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cata5803 View Post
11 FLSTC
After reading your post I've been looking at my New rear commander II and can't see anything skinny. Looks about the same to me. Mine was the 130/90-16 size. If that makes a difference ?? Don't have my old tire to try and compare..
From my first glance, it was obvious. I immediately went into the showroom and looked at a FLSTC with the stock Dunlop D401 to confirm. My wife (non-rider) even agreed. I actually asked if they had a caliper at the shop to measure both of them but they said no.

I later spoke to the service manager about it and he explained it as "different manufacturing processes and different molds." He also tried to tell me that I wouldn't find wider tire but I see the MC2 comes in 130, 140, 150, and 180 widths. I'm just not sure if 1) a 180 would fit on the bike or 2) if HD would make the exchange after riding on it for a few days. Maybe I could check with Michelin as well.

Now, after a few short rides (or I am just getting used to it) it appears a little bit wider than when I first saw it. Without a caliper or measurements, I'll really never know if it is "breaking in." Either way, it still looks skinnier than the front tire and that's just wrong!

Thanks for the reply. I hope I receive a few more. If nobody else agrees with my findings, I'll really consider contacting Michelin.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #69 (permalink)
IronButt

reg26 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why don't you just go to Michelin's web site and look up the specs. Then go to Dunlops and do the same then compare
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #70 (permalink)
Premium Member

Eleft36 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
Why don't you just go to Michelin's web site and look up the specs. Then go to Dunlops and do the same then compare

What difference does it make if it performs better?

I know on my bike they are quieter, smoother and the bike handles very well (IMO, even better).

Al
Stock 110" mufflers Stock Heads Andrews 26 Cams SE103" BB Kit Zippers Cam Chain Tensioners SE Compensator Mustang Wide Touring Seat Stock Bars H.D. Oil Cooler 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags with HD Deluxe modified guards H-D Windshield Thunder Max A/T 2005 S E Tour Pack Progressive Shocks & fork Mono Tube kit
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #71 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_FLSTC View Post
From my first glance, it was obvious. I immediately went into the showroom and looked at a FLSTC with the stock Dunlop D401 to confirm. My wife (non-rider) even agreed. I actually asked if they had a caliper at the shop to measure both of them but they said no.

I later spoke to the service manager about it and he explained it as "different manufacturing processes and different molds." He also tried to tell me that I wouldn't find wider tire but I see the MC2 comes in 130, 140, 150, and 180 widths. I'm just not sure if 1) a 180 would fit on the bike or 2) if HD would make the exchange after riding on it for a few days. Maybe I could check with Michelin as well.

Now, after a few short rides (or I am just getting used to it) it appears a little bit wider than when I first saw it. Without a caliper or measurements, I'll really never know if it is "breaking in." Either way, it still looks skinnier than the front tire and that's just wrong!

Thanks for the reply. I hope I receive a few more. If nobody else agrees with my findings, I'll really consider contacting Michelin.

11_FLSTC

Ever think about makeing a caliper type of tool to measure the tires ??? With wood or something easy to work with.... just an Ideal to think about..
I'm curious as I've said before mine looks the same... My front tire is the same size as the rear.... Hope this helps...
Also, I've talked to the Michelin support and very helpful...

Last edited by cata5803; 11-12-2012 at 07:19 AM.
cata5803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #72 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
Not sure they list the specs I'm looking for. I couldn't find them.

With that said, I did contact Michelin and they sent me this:
"The 150/80-16 Commander II has an overall width of 5.91"(cold) and 6.50"(hot). This is consistent with a size marking of 130mm. The Michelin warranty covers defects in workmanship and material and does not apply in this instance. We suggest you contact the selling dealer to see if he will exchange your Commander II for a different tire."

This was confusing to me to say "This is consistent with a size marking of 130mm" but I checked back with them and that is what they meant to say. Why would 150mm specs be consistent with the size marking of a 130mm? I tried to call but the Motorcycle group was off today and will call me tomorrow.

So really, specs or no specs, according to Mich, 150mm = 5.91" and vice-versa. Width difference should not be an issue if both tires are 150s.

I did make a call to the parts manager at my HD store but never heard back from him today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cata5803 View Post
Ever think about making a caliper type of tool to measure the tires ???...
However, as cata5803 suggested, I made a caliper out of cardboard and measured the tire cold and got 5.5" (139mm). I didn't get a chance to ride it enough to warm it up yet but that figure right there looks wrong. I don't have another Heritage with a stock Dunlop around to measure it but will do that as soon as I am near one if for no other reason but curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleft36 View Post
What difference does it make if it performs better?l
In response to Eleft36, the main difference to me is appearance, as shallow as that seems, and while the handling seems good, it's almost "too good " if that makes any sense. I rides more like a sports bike than a cruiser to me. Not sure I like that.

Finally, while I appreciate all of the feedback and love going back and forth (this is a discussion board for heaven's sake) I don't want anyone else thinking we're beating a dead horse here (only used it b/c it was there) I'm trying to get these answers ASAP so if there is a chance I can change my mind about the tire, I want to do so in a timely manner.

As far as my original post goes, really I'm just curious if anyone else noticed a width difference as I have, hopefully between the Dunlop D401 150/80-16 and the same size Mich C2.

Thanks for all of the quick replies though. Sometimes I wait for over a week on other threads.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #73 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Update

Stopped in the HD dealership today to find out why I hadn't heard back from them. Turns out the Parts Mgr is tending to a family emergency.

I measured the Dunlop D401 on an FLSTC on the showroom floor and it measured just short of 6", which matched the 150mm equivalent on the money. Looks like the frame/fender would not allow anything wider so trying the next wider Michelin Commander 2 (180mm) even if it is thinner than 180mm probably would not fit.

I've ridden the bike a few more times while waiting and still not happy with the the tire overall and will pursue a tire change. Probably will go Metzeler ME 880.

I still have not received a call from Michelin and am quite disappointed in their customer service. I've proactively tried calling them again but I keep hearing that I need to wait. It's been over a week.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #74 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_FLSTC View Post
Stopped in the HD dealership today to find out why I hadn't heard back from them. Turns out the Parts Mgr is tending to a family emergency.

I measured the Dunlop D401 on an FLSTC on the showroom floor and it measured just short of 6", which matched the 150mm equivalent on the money. Looks like the frame/fender would not allow anything wider so trying the next wider Michelin Commander 2 (180mm) even if it is thinner than 180mm probably would not fit.

I've ridden the bike a few more times while waiting and still not happy with the the tire overall and will pursue a tire change. Probably will go Metzeler ME 880.

I still have not received a call from Michelin and am quite disappointed in their customer service. I've proactively tried calling them again but I keep hearing that I need to wait. It's been over a week.

So what you're saying is less than a 1/2'' thinner tire is reason to buy another Tire ?? Personally my eye's couldn't see less than a 1/2'.. A tire mounted.. My impression was it was several inches thinner... My rear commander II handles great, Looks just fine, and going to see how many miles I can get.. Sorry about your dissatisfaction .. Good luck with the ME 880... If it was my size I'd buy it from you...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

HDSickness wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am completely satisfied with my commanderIIs had them a full season and put more than 12,000 miles on them.
Great traction, handling, feel and do not follow grooves like metzlers or dunlops.
Can easily get 20,000 out of rear and 40,000 out of the front.
Great tire.
HDSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement