Michelin Commander II new tire - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #46 (permalink)
IronButt

goldie1951 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Commander II

Hi All,

I have put a 140/90-16 on the rear of my RKC, I have about 500 miles on it now and it feels as good as either the Avon or the Metzler I had used before. Still running the front Avon, which I really like as it has almost 9,000 miles on her and not near ready to replace. Unless I hear something great about the Michelin front I'll probably stick with Avon's for the front. I did get 7200 miles from the Avon rear and am hoping for 10,000 miles or better with this Michelin rear.

goldie
goldie1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Jayel2k wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm thinking about getting the C-II's for my 2011 Superglide Custom. It came stock with the Michelin Scorchers. The C-II's are supposed to be a harder compound. I'm hoping to get more miles out of the rear tire. In Florida, the roads have a mixture of crushed seashell & coral mixed in with the asphalt, and is rough on motorcycle tires. I only got 9000 miles from my back tire. I'm hoping for more out of the c-II's...

Oh, and BTW... for those of you that won't buy the French tires just because they aint American, just remember that if it wasn't for the French sending a battle fleet and troops in the revoloutionary war, we wouldn't be the greatest country on the planet today.

Just my $.02

JL
Jayel2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #48 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quickster2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
'04 FXDLI & new Commander II's!

No comparison to the stock Dunlop 401's that were on my bike when I bought it (both tires almost new FYI). I also will admit I updated my forks with new Progressive springs and new brake pads at the same time. I disliked the Dunlops from day one compared to the Bridgestone BT-45's on my CBX. Very hard tire and less grip IMO. Regardless, after 75 miles on the new CII's and after taking 3M tire and wheel cleaner to them to reduce the mold release on the tires I took the bike thru my 26 mile short cruise with lots of twistys and cannot complain. Very happy so far!
Quickster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
Premium Member

rel3rd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Forgive my ignorance, but what does "reduce the mold release on the tires" mean? What is mold release? Is that some sort of chemical on the tire when new?

R.I.P. MOM ~ 12.16.2011
rel3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quickster2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mold release is slippery!

Mold release is on the tire to release it from the manufacturing process. Typically, you can "run" this off off the tires in the first 100 miles or so. If you are not careful "it has happened to many leaving a dealer after new tires are installed" you will spin out because the new tires are so slippery. Especially a concern on two wheels.
Quickster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Premium Member

rel3rd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Being the victim of a flood in the past, "mold" immediately brings to mind the stuff that grows in and on your walls afterwards...

Didn't even think about the mold that makes the tire...

R.I.P. MOM ~ 12.16.2011
rel3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #52 (permalink)
Premium Member

boblaverty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFL459 View Post
The 36 / 40 Recommendation is for OEM Dunlops Different makes require Different Pressures .. I would check what the Manufacturer Recommends or may find your self getting a much shorter life out of the Tires ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKERS IMPALA View Post
Even at 36/40 for the stock dunlops it caused cupping on my front tire, dealer even said u gotta run 40 front and rear on stocks. The Michelins run 42 front and rear youll be good to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblaverty View Post
Thanks for the pressure suggestions, I just sent Michelin an email, asking what they suggest.

Metzler has their suggested tire pressures in their catalog, I don't see that information in the Michelin catalog.
No reply from Michelin. I went to the Laughlin River Run yesterday, hopong Michelin would be there, and they weren't there. In looking att he tire sidewalls, and comparing the tire pressure & load ratings to the stock Dunlops, I'm going to increase the pressures. I'm going to try 40 front & 42 rear, then take it out today for about 200-250 miles or see how it works out.

Thanks for the sound advice guys! Ride Safe...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #53 (permalink)
Premium Member

boblaverty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rode about 200 miles last Sunday on my 2006 Ultra Classic, with fresh Michelin Commander II tires, on a twisty mountain road, two up, iin a group of about 24 bikes. I was up front, leaving a large gap between me & the bikes behind me. There were a couple sport bikes that would take off and leave the pack, enjoy the twisties, then pull over & take video or pictures of us.

I didn't really notice any difference with the added pressure. I ran 25 psi in the rear shocks. Once again, I'm very happy with these tires.

Remember that I have the 150/80 rear tire, Progressive Cartridge kit in the forks, and the Rivera Primo Stiffy bushing kit in the rear, which help with the handling.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #54 (permalink)
FNG :)

txlander wants to know Dino or Syn?
I posted some comments at http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...ander-iis.html. I wasn't too happy with them. But most I have talked to give them high praise.
txlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #55 (permalink)
Hammerhead

CRUI$ER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had them installed today by my local shop. So far VERY impressed with the handling. Had to do some hard braking to avoid hitting a deer in the road on the way to work tonight and they held nice and solid.

Handles the S curves like a dream!

If I get the same mileage as the Dunlops I will be more than pleased because the handling is SOOOO much better now!

Will post mileage when I wear em out Prob a couple months or so
Baggershield, Zumo 550
Hardcore Clutches Carboncore Series
Screamin Eagle Heavy Duty Clutch Spring
Kuryakyn 5007 Driving Light/Turn Signal Combo
Bright A$$ Taillight
Comfort Saddlebag Guards, other Chrome goodies!!!

CRUI$ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #56 (permalink)
Premium Member

gscojo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Michelin states in their tire manual to use your motorcycle manufacturers recommended tire pressures.

Minnesota

2008 Road Glide
103CI, Kuryakyn Pistons & TC2U Cams, K & N, SERT, Jackpot Mufflers. Built by Bob Wright ( R & D Performance ), Tuned by Doug Lofgren ( Silverback Perfomance ).
gscojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

Hi All,
Just thought I'd post an update, almost 5000 miles on a rear on a 99 RKC, mostly one up, small rider but tread is at 5/32 and looks real good, not flat yet. Handles great, it would be outstanding to get 10 or 12k out of a rear.......goldie
Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #58 (permalink)

prodog87 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just put a set of Commander IIs on my '07 FLHTP. Much improved ride, no wriggling when on tar snakes or rain grooves. The original Dunlops were run-flats (cop bike) and the sidewalls were almost an inch thick. No impression on handling and haven't been in the rain yet to see how wet handling looks.
prodog87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #59 (permalink)

trouthog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Michlins Commander 2

Just ordered the C2s. From Revzila 2 days ETA. I have not had any issues with the Stock

Dunlop 402s 12K rear and 16K front.
I see on new HDs with some with Michlins, so decided to try the new technogy in the 2s.

I haven't seen anyone here with a negative thought on these C2s and no comments with any real mileage yet. If you have good luck with these C2s I would like to hear about the mileage thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #60 (permalink)
IronButt

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give everyone an update on mileage on my rear Commander II. 12,650 miles with what looks like 2/32 tread left on her. By far the farthest I've gone on a rear tire and I love the way she handles. I just recently noticed she has lost some of the round profile but looks like I will get another 1,000 miles or so out of her. I ride 12,000+ miles a year up here in Montana and I was looking for a tire that would last a full season. I'm sticking with the Avon's (Cobra) up front handling is outstanding but would like to hear other folks take on the front.............goldie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement