Warning if you have D408F tires check them now : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Warning if you have D408F tires check them now

If you have the D408F tire check it now this tire has 8300 miles on it I know of two others that have found this.
Dunlop has served me well for many years but this is not good.

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tx flhp103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
How old are those tires? I had to replace the tires on my motorhome, only had about 30,000 miles on them, but they were 5 1/2 years old plenty of tread left but were cracked and age checked. When I traded in my sportster 06 the tires on it were starting to age check and crack ( not as bad as yours ) I was told UV exposure was one of the prime suspects in tires aging. Thanks for warning will keep close check on mine.
tx flhp103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx flhp103 View Post
How old are those tires? I had to replace the tires on my motorhome, only had about 30,000 miles on them, but they were 5 1/2 years old plenty of tread left but were cracked and age checked. When I traded in my sportster 06 the tires on it were starting to age check and crack ( not as bad as yours ) I was told UV exposure was one of the prime suspects in tires aging. Thanks for warning will keep close check on mine.
This is a 2011 and the front tire was replaced at 100 miles for a different issue.
On my bikes tires never get old they are worn out long before that. This is simply defective tires.
This is not aging they are splits in the side wall.
DATE CODE 4710.
This is another riders tire with even less miles.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The tires could be old right from the dealer, you have to look at the date codes

Record the last four numbers of the DOT code.

Read the last two digits of the DOT code. The last two digits are the year of manufacture. If the last two digits are 07, for example, the tire was manufactured in 2007.

The two digits before the year indicate the week of the year that the tires were manufactured. There are 52 weeks in a year, so these two digits range from 01 to 52.

Rule of thumb, I don't put a tire on my bike that has a date code older than 3 years

I am wondering if the dealer was getting rid of old stock, because it was a free replacement?

Last edited by Nitram_b4; 07-04-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

tunnelrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
He said the date code was 4710.
Just another reason (amung many) I wouldn't put a Dunlop on anything including a wheelbarrow.
tunnelrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelrat View Post
He said the date code was 4710.
Just another reason (amung many) I wouldn't put a Dunlop on anything including a wheelbarrow.
If you do your home work the other major brands have had far more recalls than dunlop.
This happens with every brand out there.
I put this out so riders can check I will still run Dunlops. I have logged more miles on dunlop tires than most will ever travel in their life let along on a bike.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

tunnelrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I hear ya smitty, don't get huffy.
I also refuse to run Goodyears on anything either. Just a matter of choice I've developed over 38 years of driving/riding/racing, 2 wheel/4 wheel, asphalt/dirt.
tunnelrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
sorry, did not see he stated date code.
I don't run Dunlops, I run Metz's or Avon's, I just never liked the handling of Dunlops
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

harley-gearhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with Nitram, go with Avon or Metz, and I don't see how you'd go wrong with either one. The bottom has dropped out on Dunlop's quality in the past few yrs in my opinion.
harley-gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tx flhp103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks again for warning Smitty, just checked both my tires closely, OK now but will take a close look whenever I check pressure.
tx flhp103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
FYI>> many tire manufacturers will warranty the tires for this problem, if less than 4 years from manufacturing date.
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

btsom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Slightly different slant on the same tire. My son's2011 RGU with 4600 miles on the D408F tire suddenly had what would have turned into a tank slapper at 45 if he hadn't been holding on, turned around and came home. Absolutely no hint of a wobble until today. His tire is dated 4110 and so far just has the "weather cracking and checking in the sidewalls, no long cracks yet, but has little football shaped cracks in the tread center line starting at the end of many tread grooves which won't take many more miles to get torn out leaving holes in the tread. The tire is also a bit cupped. Will be taking it in to the dealer first thing tomorrow, will advise on what the remedy turns out to be.

Last edited by btsom; 10-02-2011 at 11:32 PM.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

FL8X wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs down Dunlop's

Just had to replace the rear tire on my Glide, Dunlop D407. Bike was starting to sound like a 4x4 with big mud tires on it. At first thought is was the cars around me till I noticed it with no traffic. Bike also started getting a little wiggle to it in the turns. The tire was cupped on the sides of the tread, both sides. Tire has less the 4500 miles on it and is the second D407 thats been replaced. I been waiting to switch over to the Metzelers anyway.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
SE Stage I Cleaner with K&N Filter
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2

FL8X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

btsom wants to know Dino or Syn?
50/50 day at the dealer today. The door to the shop which says "Authorized Personnel Only" kept me "locked out" from talking directly to the tech. They understood "wobble" and tightened the head bearings. Tried to get them to understand about the little divots getting ready to come out of the tire and got little understanding or concern. The service writer on duty at the end of the day was more help, gave us a copy of the E mail to Harley and their customer relation number. Now we know what was passed to the MOCO on our behalf and I can see why we were refused with "road hazard" damage. We will be contacting the MOCO ourselves explaining that the "road hazard" damage is a small U shaped or foot ball shaped tear in the tread on the left side of EVERY Y apex of the tread pattern all the way around the tire. Some road hazard to be so regularly spaced on the front tire only. Also in the 40 mile round trip to the dealer or the tech's test drive the first divot came out of the tread. More will follow soon.

If we can't get satisfaction with the MOCO or Dunlop for a warranty change, we will replace it anyway for peace of mind and unfortunately wait or the failures and perhaps a death to happen to some other unfortunate victim, and until the next recall is issued. Check the center of the tread area right at the apex of the Y along with the sidewall check, I suspect the D408 is on its way to a repeat of the D407.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

plumpbiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
If you do your home work the other major brands have had far more recalls than dunlop.
This happens with every brand out there.
I put this out so riders can check I will still run Dunlops. I have logged more miles on dunlop tires than most will ever travel in their life let along on a bike.
That's good old Dryrot you got there. Happens to any tire that's exposed to excessive heat and / or sunlight. Has nothing to do with the brand of tire, dryrot can effect any tire any brand. Another cause of premature dryrot is oddly enough not using it enough. Tires on a vehicle that is parked most of the time will dryrot faster than on a vehicle that gets regular use. That date code doesn't seem to be old enough to go bad naturally. It may have been improperly stored in direct sunlight or in a very hot warehouse.
plumpbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.