Fork seals and Bushing? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

winters wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fork seals and Bushing?

Hi all

Just a few questions to us the guys who have rebuilt there forks.
I am installing chrome fork sliders on my 06 Roadking and my questions are should i replace all bushings as well as the seals or just the oil seal.
The shop manual says to discard the quad ring seal
o-ring
6mm screw and crush washer
fork oil seal
slider bushing
Fork leg bushing
wear ring
later on in the assembly steps it to replace bushings if needed.Sounds like the manual is contradicting itself.
I asked the parts guy at the Harley dealership if there was a kit and he said no that all parts had to be ordered separately.
Also in the assembly steps there is a fork oil seal and in the diagram I think its called the lip seal. I am a little confused.

Any incite would be great
winters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

cracker III wants to know Dino or Syn?
you can't have that many miles (kilometers) on that bike? If you are over 25,000 miles or 30,000 miles maybe change the oil. Unless something is leaking... leave it.

a while back there was some good info on what type of oil. do a search...

good luck

that chrome will look great on the king!
cracker III is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

oldog97 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just got done installing the Progressive Suspension Monotube fork kit in my 2005 R.K., With this kit, I didn't have to remove the lower sliders, but in my opinion, if you're going thru all the work yourself to install chrome sliders, I would definitely replace all the seals, o-rings, crush washers, etc.. Why go thru all that work & take a chance of a leak after it's all done? The King is worth a few extra rubles for new seals!
GOOD LUCK!
oldog97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

winters wants to know Dino or Syn?
yea , did a bit more research and i will replace all except the fork leg bushing and the slider bushing. they are replaced only if needed
winters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Road_glider

ge6280 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Response

When I went to chrome lowers I installed the Progressive Suspension mono-tube fork cartridges. What a big difference, rides a bit firmer in the front but only minimal fork compression during front braking. Well worth the money, I broke my forks down and carried everything to my dealership. They reassembled them with new seals, and oil for 1/2 hr labor. I supplied the mono tubes, chrome leggs, seals and oil. What started out as adding a painted inner fairing ended up including chrome lowers and the Progressive mono-tubes. Glad I did it all at once.

Last edited by ge6280; 01-31-2011 at 10:37 PM.
ge6280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.