Changing Front Fork Oil @ 10,000 Miles : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

desiday wants to know Dino or Syn?
Changing Front Fork Oil @ 10,000 Miles

I am ready to put my Heritage in the shop to get the 10,000 mile service check done. Dealership tells me that Harley doesn't require the front fork oil change done any more at that interval. If I want it done, I'll need to shell out another $100. Do I need it done? Should I still have it done for any preventative measures?
desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have done mine at 20,000 miles. I tend to ride pretty fast though. At 20,000 miles the fork oil has looked pretty burned a couple times. If you ride fast I think the oil gets more of a workout than if you putt around at lower speeds. If you do want to change it sooner just do it yourself. On a Heritage with no fairing it is a pretty simple job. That way you can change it when you want.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I do mine every year or 10K which ever comes first. I do my own service, no biggie. If you ride hard, change it out, if you're a weekend putt type rider, wait for the 20K.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ride Free

BoomerBob wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you do it yourself there are a couple of tools that can make it easier.

Low cost fork oil level tool

Professional fork oil level tool
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

roadcouch wants to know Dino or Syn?
walk me through a fork oil change

can anyone help me out, walk me through a 2009 electraglide classic 23,000 miles front oil change.i have brake dive and want to put thicker oil in it.help a guy out huh. thanks.
roadcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfoos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dunno about the 'glide, but my '04 Dyna was stupid simple. Removed the Phillips head drain screws on the bottom (vertical side still) of the forks and while that was draining, removed the big fork caps up top. Those caps are under tension from the springs, be careful.

Measure new oil into Pyrex measuring cup, replace plug screws with new ones from dealer, pour into forks, replace o-rings on fork caps, and screw them back in. Done and done and took all of 20 minutes.

I would imagine your 'glide is very similar.

I did not use the two allen bolts in that first picture. Dunno what they were for, but it wasn't my bike.

The first cap went flying, I got smarter and used more tools.

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |

2004 Dyna FXDLI

Last edited by speedfoos; 08-01-2011 at 06:28 AM.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's a simple job and a very very good idea to do at the first 10,000 as the fork moving parts ware into one another and you develope a sedament in the oil.

Just do it yourself, cost less then $20 even if you get exstravagent.

Two helpfull hints, Support the bike under the engine as the front end will drop when you remove the top caps. And you can see from the picture above there will a pre load on the spring if you try to do them 1 at a time without any support.

The other, you will not find specs on oil level. you will find measurements from the top of the oil to the top of the shock tube with the shock collapsed. Just simply measure the amount taken out and put that much back in.

You will notice a difference in the front end with a simple oil change.
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

dunbarton wants to know Dino or Syn?
The best thing you can do for yourself and your bike is buy a Service Manual and Parts Manual for your bike if you want to do work on it. That way you do things right. It will pay you back many times over.
dunbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

bmchevy wants to know Dino or Syn?
The first time I changed my fork oil I drilled and tapped a 3/8-24 hole in the caps and inserted plugs. No need to remove caps or lift bike anymore. So far works pretty well.
bmchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

roadcouch wants to know Dino or Syn?
fronts fork oil

thank you guys for all your help. see i did change it out in the rear.upgraded it to 10w.it made such a difference that my fronts ride crappy compared to the rears.i do have the service manual but there always seems to be something missing. so i was going to pull the forks, replace the anti dive ring (per manual) but i have never done this before and don't want to mess it up.i do all other maintainence myself but it seems the fluid level and the anti dive ring (faring models) is new to me. do you replace the fork seal as well?

thanks again riders
roadcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
You shouldn't have to if they are not leaking. About every three years I do during the winter just because I normally tear things down every winter anyway.
Changing oil is a good idea
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

berniemc wants to know Dino or Syn?
On the 09 Classic u will have to remove the switch handle and cover under it.After that u will need a 1 and 3/8 box end wrench to remove the top bolts fronm forks.Then remove the drain plugs from bottom of forks,The n fill from top with 11.5 ozs 30 wt fork oil.
berniemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement