rake 5degrees and losing the front end : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

cthecope wants to know Dino or Syn?
rake 5degrees and losing the front end

just a question if the neck on a roadking is raked 5 degrees can you still keep the stock front end or does it have to be replaced,i was told replaced due to the way the trees are made???? all opinions welcome especially frame modders and builders...thanks!!!
87 electra glide(hillside build coming in the future)
cthecope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Let er rip!

oh1deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthecope View Post
just a question if the neck on a roadking is raked 5 degrees can you still keep the stock front end or does it have to be replaced,i was told replaced due to the way the trees are made???? all opinions welcome especially frame modders and builders...thanks!!!
He may be talking going to raked trees to get the trail back in range.

It might be worth a phone call or email to Bad Dad. I'm sure they have done a few.

107" built by Hyperformance aka King of Cubes
R&R St. V cast heads
R&R 615/585's
R&R Cam plate
R&R Roller Rockers
oh1deuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

BDuncan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthecope View Post
In either case (raking frame or using raked trees) you will like need at least slightly longer fork tubes. Raking the frame 5 degrees and keeping the same front end and trees will lower the front about an inch to inch and a half of ride height, depending on stock frame rake. Changing to 5 degree raked trees may require even more fork tube length. You need to measure the position of the top of the fork tube relative to the frame with both stock and raked trees. As an example, I have a Deuce with both a raked frame 5 degrees and 3 degree raked trees to improve trail. The stock Deuce trees have a lower fork position relative to the frame than any aftermarket trees, so you lose some ride height just from how the trees hold the fork tubes. Then you also lose some additional ride height due to the increased rake in the trees. With only my frame raked, using a stock Deuce front end (stock trees and forks), it lowered the front about 1.25-1.5 inches. The switch to 3 degree aftermarket raked trees required two inch over fork tubes to maintain the same ride height. The Triple tree manufactures should be able to advise you on fork length but don't be surprised if they can't. When I purchased my custom 3 degree trees form one of the leading manufactures they told me it would be the same ride height. I had to get CAD drawings of their trees to determine how far the fork screwed into the top tree so I could calculate the fork length I would need. I was amazed at how little many of the leading manufactures knew about front end geometry - unfortunately, many are just copying somebody parts and selling them.
BDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Let er rip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDuncan View Post
In either case (raking frame or using raked trees) you will like need at least slightly longer fork tubes. Raking the frame 5 degrees and keeping the same front end and trees will lower the front about an inch to inch and a half of ride height, depending on stock frame rake. Changing to 5 degree raked trees may require even more fork tube length. You need to measure the position of the top of the fork tube relative to the frame with both stock and raked trees. As an example, I have a Deuce with both a raked frame 5 degrees and 3 degree raked trees to improve trail. The stock Deuce trees have a lower fork position relative to the frame than any aftermarket trees, so you lose some ride height just from how the trees hold the fork tubes. Then you also lose some additional ride height due to the increased rake in the trees. With only my frame raked, using a stock Deuce front end (stock trees and forks), it lowered the front about 1.25-1.5 inches. The switch to 3 degree aftermarket raked trees required two inch over fork tubes to maintain the same ride height. The Triple tree manufactures should be able to advise you on fork length but don't be surprised if they can't. When I purchased my custom 3 degree trees form one of the leading manufactures they told me it would be the same ride height. I had to get CAD drawings of their trees to determine how far the fork screwed into the top tree so I could calculate the fork length I would need. I was amazed at how little many of the leading manufactures knew about front end geometry - unfortunately, many are just copying somebody parts and selling them.

BD, Can you post some pics?

I have 6 degrees added to the frame, stock trees, and +2" tubes from Forks by Frank.

R&R St. V cast heads
R&R 615/585's
R&R Cam plate
R&R Roller Rockers
Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

BDuncan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh1deuce View Post
BD, Can you post some pics?

I have 6 degrees added to the frame, stock trees, and +2" tubes from Forks by Frank.
oh1deuce, I don't have any great pics but I'll see if I can attach something. My frame is one I fab'd from a wrecked Fatboy frame with nothing there forward of the top and front lower motor mounts. I didn't want to cut up my original Deuce frame so I saved it. Currently, like many of us, the only parts left from my new '02 Deuce are the motor and trans, most of the wiring harness and the lower legs. I almost have a complete spare Deuce.
Now what - insert image didn't give me the option to browse my pictures etc. Send me an email at BDuncan100@comcast.net and I can reply with pics.
BDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Let er rip!

email sent

R&R St. V cast heads
R&R 615/585's
R&R Cam plate
R&R Roller Rockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.