Ultima 58mm Inverted Forks : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

FL8X wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ultima 58mm Inverted Forks

I just mounted this frontend on my Train and really like it. It has the built in 5* rake and it ride with no problems. One thing I need to do though is lower it 2". Will the springs that are the my old stock frontend work ?? The top ( Sliders ) are 58mm but the lower tube are still 41mm, so I'm thinking the the lowering kit I have in my stock fork should work, right?? or is there more to it than what I'm seeing. I haven't pulled the inverted forks apart yet, alittle worried because I have no idea of internals of the inverted works, fluild level and all the other goodies that are in there. Has anyone got any ideas on this frontends?? I called Midwest and Ultima and if your not one of there dealers they really don't want to deal with you, Jack Asses.

Thanks for the Help
Tim

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
SE Stage I Cleaner with K&N Filter
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2

FL8X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

Thumbs down

Man, not alot help in this section. Guess I figure it out on my own.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651

Old 12-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

sam sam the mex wants to know Dino or Syn?
i almost bought that set, but wasnt sure it would look good mounted on my super glide!!!. got any pics???
sam sam the mex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

DanO69 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey Tim-

I need to replace my fork legs due to a Ford Van getting in my way one day last fall- I've been looking all over the place, but every front end I find, including the one you chose, says it is for the 84-99 FXST wheel/brake assembly. Did you have to change out your front wheel to an older one? Were there any other difficulties with the Ultima front end conversion?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
CV 44mm Carb
Daytona Twin Tec Ignition
Wood TW-6 cams
+4 degree Andrews Rear Cam Gear
Hooker Troublemaker Exhaust
DanO69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanO69 View Post
Hey Tim-

I need to replace my fork legs due to a Ford Van getting in my way one day last fall- I've been looking all over the place, but every front end I find, including the one you chose, says it is for the 84-99 FXST wheel/brake assembly. Did you have to change out your front wheel to an older one? Were there any other difficulties with the Ultima front end conversion?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Dan, I did have to buy a 84-99 wheel and rotor. There were no problems mounting the frontend . All in all its a very easy swap and the only draw back to it, is that you cant lock the fork with the neck lock. You might be able to find a machine shop to put the notch in the neck bolt, but good luck with that.

Tim

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651

Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mtnlvr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Nighttrain View Post
...the only draw back to it, is that you cant lock the fork with the neck lock...
If you're handy (I'm guessing you are if you put your own front end on) do it yourself.

I've got an aftermarket front end on my Dyna. It came with the bike when I bought it used. The fork lock didn't work either.

A couple years ago I stripped the front end to rebuild the forks, polish the aluminum and re-grease. I decided to fix up that fork lock. Using some patience and a lot of double-checking, marking, double-checking and grinding, I was able to grind a notch in the stem myself with great results. Next to no play when the lock is engaged. Kind of surprised myself. My first cut was with a dremel very lightly, then set the assembly back in the bike to double/triple check, then used an angle grinder for a little checking fitment back in the bike periodically, and finished off with the dremel again.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

DanO69 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Nighttrain View Post
Dan, I did have to buy a 84-99 wheel and rotor. There were no problems mounting the frontend . All in all its a very easy swap and the only draw back to it, is that you cant lock the fork with the neck lock. You might be able to find a machine shop to put the notch in the neck bolt, but good luck with that.

Tim
Tim- thanks for the response, I thought about the fork lock after I posted so I am glad you mentioned it.

Thanks again!
Dan
CV 44mm Carb
Daytona Twin Tec Ignition
Wood TW-6 cams
+4 degree Andrews Rear Cam Gear
Hooker Troublemaker Exhaust
DanO69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Let er rip!

oh1deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is the front end longer than stock? The 5 degrees of rake should have your front end lower than stock. Was it a +2" front end?

107" built by Hyperformance aka King of Cubes
R&R St. V cast heads
R&R 615/585's
R&R Cam plate
R&R Roller Rockers

Last edited by oh1deuce; 01-16-2009 at 09:44 AM.
oh1deuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doof! There it is.....

'05Train wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm curious about that too. Your bike looks great, and it's making me wish I'd checked into the Ultima front end prior to installing the HD/Marzocci inverted forks. Would it be possible to change axles in order to maintain post-'99 wheels?

Huh.....It also doesn't look like they're offered in black.
116.70/116.01 SAE

'10 Scarlet Red/Vivid Black Electra Glide Ultra Limited
Stage 1, Intiminators, 575s

Last edited by '05Train; 01-16-2009 at 07:10 AM.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh1deuce View Post
Is the front end longer than stock? The 5 degrees of rake should have your front end lower than stock. Was it a +2" front end?

Yes the frontend is longer than stock. Its a 1 1/2" longer or 25 3/4" from the axle to the top of the lower tree. That the shortest one that Jireh carries in the 5* rake. The 0* rake is 24 1/4". If it was stock lenght it would be a perfect fit with the lowering kit that I have on the bike. The ride is awsome compared to the stock frontend and the springer I had on it. Once I get it lowered I will be completely happy with it, that and still waiting on my new pipes to get here.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651

Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
If you're handy (I'm guessing you are if you put your own front end on) do it yourself.

I've got an aftermarket front end on my Dyna. It came with the bike when I bought it used. The fork lock didn't work either.

A couple years ago I stripped the front end to rebuild the forks, polish the aluminum and re-grease. I decided to fix up that fork lock. Using some patience and a lot of double-checking, marking, double-checking and grinding, I was able to grind a notch in the stem myself with great results. Next to no play when the lock is engaged. Kind of surprised myself. My first cut was with a dremel very lightly, then set the assembly back in the bike to double/triple check, then used an angle grinder for a little checking fitment back in the bike periodically, and finished off with the dremel again.
Its funny that said that, I am pulling the frontend a part this weekend to figure out how to lower it and I was thinking about the same thing your talking about. I figure if I try and lock it and wiggle the frontend a little I could get a mark on the neck bolt to know were I need to notch it. Grind a little and reinstall it till I get it right. I still have the stock frontend so I can also use that to help figure out the notch. Thanks for the info, this makes me fill a lot better knowing that someone else has done it as well.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651

Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Let er rip!

oh1deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
06, that is a good looking Train! Very sharp!

107" built by Hyperformance aka King of Cubes
R&R St. V cast heads
R&R 615/585's
R&R Cam plate
R&R Roller Rockers
oh1deuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I'm curious about that too. Your bike looks great, and it's making me wish I'd checked into the Ultima front end prior to installing the HD/Marzocci inverted forks. Would it be possible to change axles in order to maintain post-'99 wheels?

Huh.....It also doesn't look like they're offered in black.
Thanks for comment. I'm not sure about the axle swap, this frontend has a hidden axle, so the axle would have to be designed to work with the frontend. I not sure, but you might be able to change the bearings in the 2000 and later wheel to fit the pre 99 axle, but don't quote me on that one. I wanted a new rim for the front anyways so it was no big deal.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Arse Hole and Good at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh1deuce View Post
06, that is a good looking Train! Very sharp!

Thanks Deuce, I apperciate the kind words.

2010 SG
PCV
V&H Power Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 48H Cams
Polk Audio MM651

Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

TelecomJunkee wants to know Dino or Syn?
58mm Ultima Front Installed

Hello Gents,
This is my first post in V-Twin forums and I am looking forward to helping people and getting some help myself. I too have installed the Ultima 58mm inverted front end on my 2001 FXDL, so far so good. I have had all of the minor bumps and bruises along the way but no show stoppers. I just uploaded some pics so check out the gallery link below. Now, on to Q&A...

http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/s...y.php?cat=3264

Front end looks great Nighttrain! I am stoked to find a thread discussing the front end I am installing! Did your front end come w/ fork stops? I see your posts/replies about notching the neck bolt, if you did this, would it eliminate the need for fork stops? How close does the top tree come to hitting your tank when cranked all the way to the R or L? Unfortunately my top tree hits on both side and I haven't been able to find any solution yet. And lets face, it seems impossible to contact Ultima. They have a great product w/ 0 support, I don't get it. I would be more than happy to answer any questions about my conversion experience so far as I will have more questions to ask. Thanks!

"Loud pipes save lives, ride safe."
TelecomJunkee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.