Rear tire installation from HD dealer? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Freekncreekn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rear tire installation from HD dealer?

Anyone have a ballpark estimate on what I should expect the local HD dealer to charge me for putting a new rear tire on my RK?
Freekncreekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Usually about 1 hours labor plus parts. You just have to find out what their labor rate is.
Depending on the amount of accecories on bike and condition it may be as much as 1.5 hours, but no more.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
...plus the tire & tube. Take $300
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcats
...plus the tire & tube. Take $300
And a credit card for backup.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

DrHeathenScum wants to know Dino or Syn?
ask the guy in parts, that you've become friendly with, who does his tires... go there.

"43" Pantless Assclown
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freekncreekn
Anyone have a ballpark estimate on what I should expect the local HD dealer to charge me for putting a new rear tire on my RK?
I'm assuming you want them to remove/replace the wheel. A competent mechanic can remove the wheel, install new tire, and reinstall wheel in an hour. So you are looking at a minimum of one hour labor plus cost of tire. A new tire shouldn't be more than $150 and labor shouldn't be over a $100, so $250 (plus tax) would be a fair price. If they quote more than $300 then i'd look elsewhere.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a rear flat last November, and had to have it towed to the dealer (HOG came in handy) and it cost me $258.09 total...my a$$ still hurts from that one, so I would guess that $300 for the bagger would be about right...well, wrong but it's the going price.

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Far 3ast wants to know where he is and how he got here
I'm lucky to have an indy near me that provides free installation on tires that are purchased from them. I'm paying around $170 for a rear tire installed on my Dyna.
Far 3ast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

davidtn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Last fall I had mine replaced on my Road King Classic. I went with the stock whitewall Dunlop (which works fine for me) and paid $258 tire, labor and all.

With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine.
davidtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles to go
I'm assuming you want them to remove/replace the wheel. A competent mechanic can remove the wheel, install new tire, and reinstall wheel in an hour. So you are looking at a minimum of one hour labor plus cost of tire. A new tire shouldn't be more than $150 and labor shouldn't be over a $100, so $250 (plus tax) would be a fair price. If they quote more than $300 then i'd look elsewhere.
Any Harley service writer worth his pay will find other things that need doing, you, While you is here......That is what my comment about bringing along the credit card was, because you don't want to have to go home for it.
I always go to the indie's shop, I only buy what is not readily available or is so inexpensive that the higher price is negligable

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

20538 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I had the HD dealer I go to in Ohio quote me $220 for a rear tire with brakes 2 springs ago. they are very low priced for a HD dealer though. I bought some Metzeler tires, Lyndall Z plus pads and had a friend who knows his chit put them on for me with my help. I think I got it all done for around $300 not including lunch and some green I gave him.
20538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

Freekncreekn wants to know Dino or Syn?
And the final cost was...

First off, thanks to everyone for giving me some very accurate ballpark estimates. This was the first time the HD dealer was doing anything to my bike, so I really wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks to everyone for at least helping me to have an idea what it might cost me.

I had the rear tire installed today, so I wanted to give everyone a report on what the final cost was. I just had the stock Dunlop tire put on and it cost me a total of $251 and a few cents for the tire and labor. You guys were dead-on!
Freekncreekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement