my new screamin' eagle deuce rusted in 3 months : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > The VTF Classics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

RustyDeuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
my new screamin' eagle deuce rusted in 3 months

I purchased my first Harley a few months ago. It's a new 100th anniversary screamin' eagle deuce. I became a HOG member and also got Harley's seven year extended service plan along with the deuce. I really love the deuce and there is no other bike like a Harley, but I do have one problem.

The screws and bolts that hold the deuce together have rusted. They are rusted from the front brakes to the engine to the frame. The motorcycle has been kept in an auto garage since new and neither the chrome nor wheels show signs of rust. This bolt rust was really disappointing to me and I took the deuce in for the dealer to look at. The dealer said it looked bad and they had to send pics of it to Harley.

After waiting for a couple months on Harley's decision they told me that it is not covered under warranty. This was a bigger disappointment than the rusted bolts. The deuce is still brand new and Harley is not even going to honor the warranty. I thought that they were supposed to have great customer service especially since their motorcycles are so expensive. I had to call them long distance a dozen times and they usually would not call me back when they said they would. I asked them to meet me half way and they would not even do that.

The guys at Harley said my deuce had been subjected to harsh chemicals, but I did not do it. It was the dealership I bought from if anyone exposed the motorcycle to chemicals. Harley also said I was lying to them about the mileage since it was less than the dealer said it had when sold. They signed a sworn statement according to Harley, but my deuce still has fewer miles than what they swore to. Could there have been odometer tampering done by the dealership?

So I feel let down after my very first experience with Harley. I have always wanted a Harley and when I buy my first Harley-Davidson they alienate me.

Is there any hope for them to do right by this deuce or do they not have to honor their warranty? Should I speak with somebody at Harley other than customer service? I just want them to be fair, but they say that I can not prove that I did not do the rust myself so they are not honoring my warranties. This bike cost a lot to me and it is supposed to look good. I've never had another motorcycle rust. I don't want your forum to think I am insulting Harley-Davidson, but I have never been treated this badly by a company I have bought something from before...especially something so expensive.

RustyDeuce
RustyDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

stev1955 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds bad. Keep us advised how things work out. Got any close up pics to show what's going on?
http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/s...=1&ppuser=1428

"Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum. Hooters, hooters, on a girl that's dumb." Al Bundy
stev1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Zadok wants to know Dino or Syn?
That really sucks....Sorry to hear it.
I hope maybe you will get through this
with all working out in the long run.

Just Ride....
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2003, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
OFOPOS and Proud of it

oldjime wants to know Dino or Syn?
That sucks! I have an 01 Heritage and have never had a rust problem anywhere. If you don't get anywhere with lower levels do what I did with my cell phone company. Send letters to the Office of the CEO and Board of Directors. Send detailed explanation of everything that happened to the bike since you got it. Include name of people at Harley you dealt with, what they said and the dates. Take pictures of everything including places you have been keeping it. At the end of the letter make a matter of fact, non-threatening, statement that if you don't get satisfaction you will have no choice but to persue legal alternatives.

I had the same problem with low levels of cell phone company. One letter to office of the CEO got problem straightened out. Sometimes the low level people get tied up in their own importance or silly company policies. The trick is to find the first level of management that has the authority to say yes.

Good Luck.

oldjime
01 Heritage
oldjime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Bookinit wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do you have any chemicals stored in your garage along with your bike?
Chlorine for a swimming pool will cause rust on things if it is kept in a garage. I learned that one the hard way.
Also come fertilizers can cause metals to rust if they are stored inside a garage.
Bookinit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

RoadHogRic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Excellent point about the chlorine. . . that's gotta be checked!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

FXDeanX wants to know Dino or Syn?
You're talking about a few bolts, right? So swap them out with new stainless and forget about it. It's cheaper, easier and better for your health than trying to squeeze blood from a stone. A year from now you won't even remember it
FXDeanX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

RustyDeuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
I will try to post the pics of the deuce that Harley saw.

Bookinit, Harley said the same thing to me about the pool chemicals. I do not know if they believed me or not, but the deuce is kept in a garage where only cars and motorcycles can go. I do not keep chemicals or shovels or lawnmowers in my auto garages like some people do. I also don't have a pool.

I'd like to be able to swap out the bolts myself, but it is a big job. The motorcycle would need to be unassembled down to the frame. You will be able to tell if I can post the pictures here.

RustyDeuce
RustyDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ridin' with the King

frankencat wants to know Dino or Syn?
That blows. You bought the bike new?

My '03 Road King had the same kind of rust problem but I bought it used and it came from a fleet of rentals that was on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale FL so I figured the salt had gotten to it. The black control covers were pitted and peeling and the frame had rust on it as well as just about every bolt and clamp on the bike. I didn't care much about it at the time because I knew I would be swapping a bunch of parts out on it anyway.

Hope you get your situation resolved to your satisfaction.
frankencat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
EvilMonger

Thealien is reading this now saying WTF is this?

Is this your bike or not. If it was I would have said I will post pictures of MY bike.

Post some pictures before I add anything, Post the odometer if you can also, thanks.

Mark
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ol Rob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dean is right, just go ahead and change out the bolts with stainless. I also agree it blows that it has to come to this. Second, I would check into the odometer discrepency. If the dealer changed out the speedometer bofore the sale or something I would give them back the bike for a full refund. I am sure there is still another one sitting on a dealers floor you can get. Don't be discouraged. Harley is the best in my opinion, and their chrome is second to none. Sorry to hear about this trouble. Keep us posted on what happens.
And WELCOME to the forum!--Rob

2006 Street Bob--mine
2001 XL883---hers
Ol Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

RoadHogRic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by Thealien

Is this your bike or not. If it was I would have said I will post pictures of MY bike.
Mark
He probably meant "pics that Harley saw." Just worded it wrong, that's all. . .
Old 12-06-2003, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Markcuda wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wink

I think my nose smells something here. Is it just me?
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aimless Wanderer

b-footn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by Markcuda
I thought the story didn't sound right too. Waiting on the pics. Odometer tampering is what gave it away to me. First time posting on this board, is another clue.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
b-footn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2003, 12:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Georges wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by Markcuda
Lots of stuff has rusted that went through Isabel earlier this year. Where does this member live?
Georges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.