Victory motorcycle : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Other Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Victory Motorcycles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Turgid member

rgraham wants to know Dino or Syn?
Victory motorcycle

I was at a party last night and I talked to a guy that has a few motorcycles. One is a Victory motorcycle that he wishes to sell. I didn't want to act too enthusiastic so that the price would stay low, hence not too many details. I don't even know what year it is, but would guess it's 3 or 4 years old. However, I do know that it cost around $17,000 new with many Arlen Ness parts. I don't know what model, as I'm still trying to act disinterested. Now the good part is, it has around 5000 miles (I doubt it has that many) and he was wanting to sell it for $4,000. My act payed off, as he said he would take $3,500. Question is: Is this what they are worth used or is this a great deal? Seems like he just wants to get rid of it, and doesn't care about the money. I know it's not a Harley and all, but sometimes a deal comes along......
rgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You could probably sell the Ness parts on Ebay and make your money back

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

FATVETTE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know Vic's resale values arn't the best but that is way to low. Of course, the bike could have some issues he didn't mention.

2002 FLSTF - Jade Sunglow Green
2009 FLHTCU - Red Hot Sunglow\Smokey Gold
FATVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Turgid member

So your saying that it is a deal. I will look deeper into it. The selling of the Ness parts sounds like an idea. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kball wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depends on what year it is. If it's pre-2002 and doesn't have the tranny upgrade, be careful. A large percentage of them failed. Test ride it real hard and see if the tranny jumps in and out of gear on you. If you can get the VIN, you can call any Vic dealer and ask about recalls completed and upgrades done.

If it were an SC, I'd grab it regardless. Those things flat haul ass.

If it's 2002 or newer, run ,don't walk, to the bank. You'll love the bike, specially at that price.

All this IMnotsoHO of course...
Old 09-12-2005, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

FredGarvin wants to know Dino or Syn?
this sounds like one of the many infamous eBay scams, only up close and personal.

$3500 sounds like a pretty good deal - but like the others have said it sort of depends. A '99 for example has a Bluebook wholesale of about $5300, but transmission issues, etc. could cost your a lot of $$ on top of that. Sounds like you don't really know the guy so some of quick research on the VIN with the dealer for yr/model issues, and probably law enforcement/MV to make sure it's not hot. Nevertheless, I'd jump at this thing, test ride it and grap it if it's legit.
FredGarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Turgid member

He's not what I'd call a personal friend, but I did ride with him once. (he was riding his Indian) He's a oral surgeon, which doesn't make him an angel, but gives you an idea as to his lack of concern for making money off the deal. Thanks to all your responses, the wife is buying into the idea.(especially kball's comments) I should find out more today or tonight about model and year. Thanks for the help.
Moderators: Thanks for not putting this into the Victory forum yet.

Last edited by rgraham; 09-12-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

OldMiC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is he from Nigeria? If so, maybe they've given up on the banking thing and are trying a variation of the Ebay thing.

Unless the bike's in parts in a crate, it sounds too good to be true. Then again, I haven't seen the bike... or the title.

Who knows, it could be a find.
OldMiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

SamC wants to know Dino or Syn?
If it has a lot of Ness parts, it's likely '01 or later. The '99-'00 had junk transmissions, guaranteed to fail, and quickly. '01 was a little better, but they seem to have problems, too. The Victory faithful refer to the wholesale replacement of the transmission at a cost in the thousands, as an "upgrade", rather than "making good on an implied warrantee of suitability for intended use". Yes, I have issues with this, I admit it.

The bikes themselves are actually pretty decent (transmission problems aside), but the company is a pack of thieves and while there might be three decent dealers, they all live somewhere else and apparently have unlisted phone numbers. All the ones I've met I wouldn't trust to put air in a lawnmower tire. Urals get better dealer and factory support. Resale is awful; only hope is to find either a fool, or somebody who thinks Victory is the next hot thing (or is that the same person?) Still, that sounds low even for a Victory. Is it stolen, or maybe his ex-wife's?

You might check out the Victory Motorcycle Club web site -- VMC.org or something like that. They have lots of information (and dis-information).

Last edited by SamC; 09-12-2005 at 01:40 PM.
SamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

MS-rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC
but the company is a pack of thieves and while there might be three decent dealers, they all live somewhere else and apparently have unlisted phone numbers. All the ones I've met I wouldn't trust to put air in a lawnmower tire. Urals get better dealer and factory support. Resale is awful; only hope is to find either a fool, or somebody who thinks Victory is the next hot thing (or is that the same person?) You might check out the Victory Motorcycle Club web site -- VMC.org or something like that. They have lots of information (and dis-information).

I agree 100%, having been there and done that - never again at any price...
Old 09-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Just Like to Ride

Unome wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC
You might check out the Victory Motorcycle Club web site -- VMC.org or something like that. They have lots of information (and dis-information).
Try www.thevmc.com. Just play nice.
Unome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Turgid member

It turns out it's a 2000 SC. It does have 5045 miles on it. It has brand new tires front and rear, with the little titties still intact. A few scrapes here and there, but nothing too bad or even obvious. It does have some Ness stuff on it. I don't know why the original stuff would be replaced, as the Ness bits don't look all that nice. The trans seems to work fine. It is LOUD when you shift and makes a Harley shift sound mellow. It does haul ass, and the brakes are excellent. It handles pretty well, but is so low to the ground, it scrapes easily in corners. All in all, a good bike, but it's no Harley. I love my Lowrider®, and she goes way farther over before she hits metal. At $3500, it seems less than half the price others are asking. It would probably be a good commute bike, and I can save the Harley for the real rides.

Last edited by rgraham; 09-13-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

SamC wants to know Dino or Syn?
If it's an '00, find out about the transmission. '99 and '00 had trannies that'd miss shifts, and all by themselves downshift; thrilling, to say the least. Skid marks in the shorts when that happens in the middle of a turn. They get progressively worse, and the fix is to replace the transmission, both sprockets, and a bunch of little stuff. In some cases dealers have been able to get Polaris to foot part of the cost, some being more successful than others. It's a couple grand to just pay to have it done. There' s currently an NHTSA investigation, but it's been underway for a long, long time and is going nowhere. thevmc.com has endless threads on this.

If it has the new trannie (which also sounds like a jail cell closing), it's a decent deal. If it has the old one, the asking price reflects the likelihood of buying a new transmission soon, unless you have very clear, sharp photos of someone at Polaris doing inappropriate things with an underage goat.

And yes, the "Sport Cruiser" isn't particularly sporting, but is a nice bike once you let the Ness stuff fall off. It's possible this one has been lowered, a big mistake on these, or has a bum shock (another problem point). It shouldn't ground all that quickly.

Check NHTSA for recall information, and a dealer should be able to give you the scoop on updates and recalls by VIN, if you can find a dealer who can read numbers. Or a dealer, for that matter.
SamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rednek wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an '00 SC. Got it for substantially more than you are gonna pay, but then mine has $6k worth of paint and at least $4k worth of Chrome and other goodies.

I initially wanted one for my wife, at about the same price of the deal you're looking at. Used to see great deals on 'em on e-bay all the time before the Vegas came out and everyone figured out what a Vic was. Hell $3500 is cheaper than a Yammi 650. For a 92 cube American bike? HELLUVA steal. We looked around and never could find a deal like yours, so bought the tricked out one not quite a year ago with full warranty. I liked it so much that I ended up with it, and my wife ended up with my '03.

Let's say you buy it and the tranny craps out. First off, even if you did have to pay for the tranny upgrade you'd still have one hell of a bike at a great price. I'm not sure, but Vic may offer to eat the parts cost and have you pick up labor, something that'll depend on your dealer. It'd still be cheaper than a sporty and is twice the bike.

The only MANDATORY aftermarket issue on the SC is an immediate swap out of that hideous upswept exhaust with an aftermarket set...D&D makes 'em and I've got Sampsons on mine that set me back $300.

The damn thing rides like it's on rails and I've had my speedo buried well past 120 mph. I don't have near as many miles on the SC as I do my CC, BUT in the last year I have managed to put 20k miles on her.

A used SC at that price is a STEAL. BTW...what color is it?

If you go to the theVMC.com and look in the photo gallery you can see my bike listed under my screen name Red. There are many tricked out SCs there.

Like I say, you could always sell the damned thing for more than you paid for it. You are being offered a super deal. If you coughed up the tranny upgrade, there'd be nothing for you to ever worry about on it and all you'd have to do is drive the piss out of it.

Oh, and last thing...if it has stock wheels, 17 inch rims front and rear, you'll notice it is running sport bike type tires. Same tires as the Buell runs. The rear will get you about 8k miles, the front a bit more. If you ride a bunch, find some 16 inch, or other rims that'll allow you to use a different type of tire. The SC comes stock with a 180 rear tire, but you can go to a 200 if you desire.

Oh, and did I mention the damn thing is pretty darn fast?
Rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rednek wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oh, and it's no secret that you're not ever gonna hear a kind word about Vic from SamC. He used to bellyache ad nauseum over at the VMC and has now taken his show on the road. Sam had his probelms with Victory and for the life of him he can't understand why everyone else hasn't as well.

As far as the bum shock...I've got 2 with 80k between them and have had no shock problems.

Every manufacturer has put out lemons and had their issues. Some SC's have had issues, others haven't.

Hell, HD wouldn't have a class action lawsuit against them right now about a certain motor problem if all companies didn't have their occasional issues. Yet, does that mean all HD's suck? No...Does that mean that corporate HD is a pack of thieves? I doubt it. Does that mean that you take a big chance whenever you buy a used HD? I don't think so. HD is a corporation just like Victory is. Neither is infallible and both put out good product.

Oh, and Ness stuff that he puts out for Victory is made in the same Chinese plant that his HD product comes out of.

If you don't buy the bike, go over to the VMC and let them know where a great deal on an SC is.
Rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement