V-Twin Forum banner

Victory-HD

42K views 148 replies 45 participants last post by  Tiwodogis 
#1 ·
I'm a new guy here and I'm not trying to start bashing of any sort, but I have read several threads where people have said goodbye to HD and went to Victory, and vice versa.
I want to know for those of you that made the jump, how many went back to and why.
Thanks, Willy

#45 ·
Originally Posted by Half_crazy
Wow, this thread went right down the sh!tter. Once the immature/insecure come out, it's over. Hush now, the grown ups are talking.
I accept the immature comment but I prefer to call it childish cause it makes me feel insecure when people say immature. Heehee

Glad to see your still on too,you are funny bro, still laughing at this one!!

#50 · (Edited)
;2225084 said:
Just curious Brett, the common theme in every one of your posts is bashing everything that is not Harley, yet you proclaim you have never owned or ridden anything else. If so, what good is your opinion?

And I think the last new guy that we had this fight about did agree with me.

Brett has that aura about him. I think you'll see more of it.

"Getting the difference" has nothing to do with the OP's question. The guy asked a simple question of a specific group of people. I'm sorry that you don't understand that you are not in that group and have nothing of value to offer. You've used that "it's just a joke" line in every thread I've seen you post in this week. I thought you were here to get and share some useful info. Do you have ANYTHING worthwhile to offer?

I think you we're the only one who understood what you said. :confused:
Yes I bash anything but Harley. Sorry but that's me. I guess I just have decent taste. And I'm sorry but bike opinion is part of the differences to be compared with Victory-HD. Dude don't take your role here so damn serious that you think your providing everyone with some public service with every stupid thing you post. This comes from a guy who thinks poor dumb new riders should find a japanese junk because they not so superior trained guy like you to handle a Harley. You guys heads got to be about to explode. Honestly I think a new rider has little to learn from your post other than how to be bike brand confused. And who said this is for learning I thought it was for entertainment. Dude, you can't believe everything you read on Internet. We come to this over n over you and I about the same issue. Sorry I think when guys ride other so called bikes they're just missing something. Something just ain't right about them.

Look the only wrong I did was I think it's a little bit poor taste to post on a victory forum , how crappy the bike is. But it really was an accident, thought this was a question in the big boy forum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#53 ·
If you are another American motorcycle manufacturer and you go your own way with style, people will say "They're funny looking". If you go with a vintage/classic style people will say "Harley copy". If you split the difference people will say "funny looking Harley copy". You can't win no matter what you do.

I have to wonder... when HD first came out with the batwing fairing, did people think it was funny looking? I mean, we've had decades to get used to looking at it.

For a long time it was either a Harley or a foreign bike, then Victory comes along... a new American manufacturer... I don't think people know what to do with/where to put all this. What's crazy is the people hating on Victory the loudest don't know anything about Victory motorcycles, like if you love Harley you have to hate Victory.

My dog had never seen a cat. When he did finally run across a cat, he knew to hate it. He didn't know what it was or know anything about it, but somehow he just understood he was supposed to hate cats. It took 6 months to convince him not to kill the cats that moved in with my new wife. It was a year before we didn't close a door between the cats and the dog when we left the house. Maybe it just takes time...

#55 ·
If you are another American motorcycle manufacturer and you go your own way with style, people will say "They're funny looking". If you go with a vintage/classic style people will say "Harley copy". If you split the difference people will say "funny looking Harley copy". You can't win no matter what you do.

I have to wonder... when HD first came out with the batwing fairing, did people think it was funny looking? I mean, we've had decades to get used to looking at it.

For a long time it was either a Harley or a foreign bike, then Victory comes along... a new American manufacturer... I don't think people know what to do with/where to put all this. What's crazy is the people hating on Victory the loudest don't know anything about Victory motorcycles, like if you love Harley you have to hate Victory.

My dog had never seen a cat. When he did finally run across a cat, he knew to hate it. He didn't know what it was or know anything about it, but somehow he just understood he was supposed to hate cats. It took 6 months to convince him not to kill the cats that moved in with my new wife. It was a year before we didn't close a door between the cats and the dog when we left the house. Maybe it just takes time...
This was exactly my point. I don't give a crap about someone's opinion who has no knowledge of the subject at hand. I am interested in knowing why Victory owners like or dislike their rides.

I also have read hundreds of "first posts" by new members and would say from my experience that a large majority of people who come to this site are looking to gain and/or share real information with fellow riders. I do not think most people read and post to TECHNICAL forums for entertainment purposes only.

Sorry for interrupting the thread here about Victory bikes with this garbage and I assure you I am not trying to provide any public services. My motives are purely selfish.

Please post more of those pics and info you have. I may not be in the market right now for a Victory, but I do find them interesting and like hearing the feedback from those who actually know what they are talking about.

Thanks.

#54 ·
#57 ·
;2225237 said:
This was exactly my point. I don't give a crap about someone's opinion who has no knowledge of the subject at hand. I am interested in knowing why Victory owners like or dislike their rides.

I also have read hundreds of "first posts" by new members and would say from my experience that a large majority of people who come to this site are looking to gain and/or share real information with fellow riders. I do not think most people read and post to TECHNICAL forums for entertainment purposes only.

Sorry for interrupting the thread here about Victory bikes with this garbage and I assure you I am not trying to provide any public services. My motives are purely selfish.

Please post more of those pics and info you have. I may not be in the market right now for a Victory, but I do find them interesting and like hearing the feedback from those who actually know what they are talking about.

Thanks.
What a big pile of bs there bro

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#60 ·
I have both. My 06 Vic has a transmission that is clunky and tough to find neutral but it runs great and has mucho torque. Harley has a much, much better dealer network, better t shirts / swag, much better branding, and is easier to accessorize. I love my Vic but it is a B+ bike with an A motor. Harley is an A bike with a B- motor.

#61 · (Edited)
My 06 Vic has a transmission that is clunky and tough to find neutral.
Mine is also an '06 and was like that too. When the engine was done the tranny was gone thru, it shifts like butter now but clutch effort is high.

Harley has a much, much better dealer network, better t shirts / swag, much better branding, and is easier to accessorize.
100% agree. I don't trust dealers to work on my bike, so having more of them is not much help, but factory and aftermarket support is huge for the HDs.

I love my Vic but it is a B+ bike with an A motor.
Agree, the Vic is a B+ bike overall.

Harley is an A bike with a B- motor.
This is where we will part ways. Overall I give Harley a "C". Yes, the bike looks good, it oozes character, the paint/controls/switchgear are nice, but the wheels these days are getting cheesy-lookin'. When it comes to doing what motorcycles do, it's average. When you rubber mount engines it makes it tough to keep the chassis from flexing. HD uses Showa suspension which is the same thing you'll find on the Japanese cruisers and those pieces are average at best. The big-twin engines are weak in both power output and their ability to take a flogging.

My next bike will probably be neither HD nor Vic. Victory is taking the path of spoke wheels with tube tires, wide white walls, apes or beach bars, conventional forks... basically they are removing/replacing the components that made the bike function so well and going for form over function. Their cruisers don't interest me any more because their idea of a 'muscle bike' is a styling excercise with the same engine as every other bike with less competent chassis (raised white letter tires and a number plate don't give it any muscle). The baggers/tourers are too damned big and heavy.

Haven't seen anything I'd trade this Kingpin for and Victory dropped it from the line-up this year, so I'll keep rebuilding it as long as I can...

#64 ·
If you're traveling and you pick up a nail... with a tubeless tire you pull out your plug kit, plug the tire, blow it up with CO2 cartridges, and ride on... If you have tube-type tires the wheel has to come off. Spokes are hard to clean and high maintenence. No thanx.

The KP was dropped because it didn't sell. The bike went unappreciated in today's cruiser market. Most people hate the fenders and wouldn't know a Marzocchi inverted fork from the fork they eat dinner with. The firm ride turned people off. They didn't appreciate that the harder you make the chassis work, the better it gets, or the space available for big saddlebags due to the size shape of that rear fender.

The bike was 'close' from the factory, but the conversion to what I wanted was easy. Bridgestone G-850/851 sticky Z-rated radials slip right on the stock 18" rims. The foot controls from a Vegas bolt right up (no more footboards). All the bikes are pre-wired for a tach so that was plug-n-play w/ a little green light that comes on in 6th gear too. I wanted power... punch it out, bowl blend the heads, put cams in it, 45 HP over stock... cheap and easy like me.

#65 ·
I've owned a few Harley's over the years (Road King, Dyna & Sporty's) and still have a 1200 Sporty in my garage. I love all bike's and prefer to buy American so recently bought a new Victory Cross Roads. Here are my impressions compared to the Road King.

Comfort - In stock form I find the Cross Roads (CR) to be more comfortable than the Road King (RK). The CR has a lower seat height and weighs about 50 pounds less than the RK. I like the lower seat and lower center of gravity. The stock handlebars fit me well whereas I had to change out the RK handlebars since they caused a strain in my back and shoulders. The stock seat on the CR is very comfortable and I don't plan on changing it out whereas I went through 4 seat on the RK before getting it right. The RK never was a perfect fit for me even after spending money on different handlebars and seats. The Victory fits me very well in stock form and other than possibly getting some 2" risers to get the handlebars back a little I don't see doing much else for comfort.

Engine and Tranny - The Vic comes with a 106 ci versus the 103 ci in the HD. The Vic engine feels smoother overall and has noticeably more power in the top end. Both bikes have a 6 speed transmission and the only noticeable difference for me is that it's very easy to get the Vic into neutral. This wasn't an issue for me on the HD, but I know some guys have problems getting into nuetral so that's why I mention it. Both 6 speeds have a clunking sound during shifting and feel solid.

Fit/Finish - The fit and finish on the Vic is pretty close to Harley, but the HD paint seems thicker and nicer. The Vic also has a few more plastic pieces than Harley. For instance, the turn signals and side view mirrors are plastic. When I noticed that I started checking the headlight and fenders and was glad to find that they were made of metal. Overall, I give the nod to Harley for fit and finish.

Ride/Suspension - As mentioned, the Vic is lighter and has a lower seat height. These two factors seem to make the bike easier to maneuver during slow speeds. The Vic feels more agile during all speeds and generally feels like a much smaller bike than it is which really surprised me given the longer length of the bike. The ABS brakes on the Vic are the best brakes I've ever experienced on a cruiser/touring bike

So far, I'm very pleased with the Cross Country. I really liked my Road King and would be happy with either bike in my stable, but the comfort of the Cross Roads makes it a better overall bike for me. The other factor that was a consideration in this purchase was the price. I was able to negotiate a much lower price on the Victory Cross Roads than on a Road King. Down the road I expect to take a bigger hit on resale/trade in with the Victory, but having more cash in my wallet right now was more important to me.

Since looks are so subjective I didn't bother reviewing that category other than to say I like the way the bike looks.

#66 · (Edited)
For me it is simple. I had my HD dealer tell me that he was doing me a huge favor by repairing my last turn signal problem under warranty because it was all my fault. I had left the bike out in the rain. Now I don't know about you guys but my bike does not go into the garage as soon as it starts raining. Sometimes I am on the road and the motel where I am staying does not have covered parking, let's face it that is most of the time. I am a rider, not a mere poser. When I started to explore alternatives, I considered the Yamaha Venture, since I already have a cruiser version of it that is impervious to rain but I did not like its load capacity. While doing price checks, I ran across a dealer that carried both Victory and Yamaha. That forced me to start looking into the Victory line and that was my undoing. Victory has exactly what I want, in the form of the Vision Tour model and the various reviews conclude that it simply does not have the routine failures that happen with HD. Right now I am working on becoming a HD to Vic convert. I rode one last weekend and simply loved it but until I get a sign off from my wife it is merely a potential.

#67 ·
I know it boils down to taste, but to me the Harley just looks right in every way. Somehow I can’t get used to that Arlen Mess Batman look on the Victory touring bikes. Don’t get me wrong, I think Polaris has done some great engineering in a very short period of time, especially in the engine department, kudu’s for that, but every time I look at the Victory’s I hear Buzz Lightyear saying “to infinity and beyond”.

Question for you Victory lovers, can anyone tell me the final gear ratios from 1st through 6th on the touring bikes? (final, not primary) I’m trying to develop a spread sheet comparing the final gear ratios of touring models from all American, European, and Asian bikes.

The bottom line is, I’ve owned and loved Honda’s, Triumph’s, BSA,s, Moto Beta’s and Harley’s, and IMO, no matter what you prefer, there’s nothing quite like two wheels with a motor regardless of the brand. Hope everyone has a great 2013 season.

#70 ·
My take on the Vic Cross Country Tour....

I have owned a few Harleys...01 Super Glide,06 Road King,06 Ultra, and now a 13 Road King that I find too wide for me with any seat...
So I go and check out the Vic...IT FITS...when I sit in the seat I am flatfooted the bars are right it just feels great like a good fitting glove...can't wait to test ride one...if this does not work out I will be looking for a 08 Road Glide but no ann.Bike...

To Blacklinebrett....My problem is I like all bikes...my friends have many different brands...my son rides a 99 Honda Magna that is really quick and fun...my little girl rides a SilverWing that I have to steal a ride on sometimes...and yes my wife rides a CanAm and loves it....have to say I do to....Harley is just another brand just like Ford and Chevy...

#71 ·
Talked to a Vision owner yesterday. He said he just didn't want the same old Ultra that they have been making for years. Said that would be the easy way to go. I think they look decent in the darker colors. I'd like bigger bags in the back end. I have grown to like big fairings in the rain and cold, after riding my sport touring Concourse, blows away my Ultra, for weather protection.

#72 · (Edited)
There are a certain type of people that will buy Victory for spite or to show the world how intelligent they are. The anti-HDers. Then, ironically, they will feel the need to justify it at every turn and knock your sheet into hell. I've had a few hotshots attempt to bait me with their "Arlen Ness" boats. They quickly find out I do not care. They have a little less to say with me running a V, but the smugness is there. Why? Many reasons I'm sure, the male ego is fragile. I have never said a negative word directly to strangers about what they ride or if not specifically asked about any bike.....ever. I don't care enough.
Odd isn't it, that HD is such a POS, yet, they need to brag about being superior to it? How the hell does that work? LOL!
However this attitude isn't unique to Victory or anyone else. It's prevalent within HD too. Born and raised on an Iron-Head Sporty, Evo's in between the V-Rod, I can tell ya this, it's worse from within. 10 fold.
The Victory is a much better designed engine, the top of the line will out perform a TC. Reliability and dependability are superior as well. But I have to say, the styles are weak and simple copies, the model names are cornier than HD's, fit and finish are just OK at best, sounds like a typical Japper and the engine aesthetics are just awful, in fact, uglier than a damn Indian engine. Not at all cheap either. Other than the engine type, (overhead cams/4 valves per) which isn't remotely unique to them either, not impressed at all.

#73 ·
There are a certain type of people that will buy Victory for spite or to show the world how intelligent they are. The anti-HDers. Then, ironically, they will feel the need to justify it at every turn and knock your sheet into hell. l.
If I bought one, I'd probably be one of those people. I love Harley, but not that company.

Interesting how it is ok, when Harley riders bash metric riders though.

Also interesting how people think it is about money. Some people just don't want a Harley. They want modern. Harley was not rated to good on reliability, anymore. I talked to Harley engineer he said they are average.

Cosmetics are for chicks.

#82 ·
A mirror breaking off is one thing, if it was true that it does frame damage, that would be another. I drop bikes all the time, they got two wheels. I got over it a long time ago.

#83 ·
Well I get to test ride the CCT on Friday...after complaining about the new King being too wide I fixed it today with an 08 Rd Glide seat...I know the Vic motor is superior to the Harley ( man am I going to catch it for that one ) but fact is fact...Just better built...My only take is it will never sound as well as that Harley...I will be looking for anything to keep me from wanting it...

#86 ·
If I rememeber righ the discussion that the where the peg mounted to the frame would crack, if dropped. That would be frame damage.

#87 ·
Like I said, been around them many years and many miles on one and never heard of this. Even the V-Rod specific forums have never mentioned a problem about this. And believe me, they piss and moan about even the slightest "flaw". But from having a lot of
"experience" and wrenching both, the V and traditionals, I can tell you the mounting is very similar, they both will "fold" and the stock pegs are, in grand HD style, the exact same in fact. I see little difference in the integrity should either be dropped. The only difference is that the V-Rod frame rails where the pegs sit (forward control models) are separate pieces and are easily replaced, if and when they should crack. HD uses a hydro-formed frame however, and it is extremely well made.

#91 ·
Fixing to turn over 15,000 Miles on my Vic XC today and totally trouble free for the 9 months had it .. Seen the shop twice .. Once for 500 Mile Service (Free) and again for 5,000 Mile Service everything else has been done myself other than Tune in the PCV ... Still loving my FXR4 as Well ..

#94 ·
I will admit, I stopped visiting the site here because of a lot of chest-thumping BS. Too much running around peeing on bushes, marking territory at times- Just gets old and boring... Came back because of one of the auto-emails the board generates so I figured I'd see what's up.

Surprised to discover there was a Victory board here! We recently sold the '04 Fatboy for a 2013 Vision.

I have to say that I thought the Vision was pretty goofy looking when I 1st saw it in 2008 and actually said out loud no damn way. My how a few years change things...

I was recently shopping for a new touring bike and rode a new RG and EGlide. Both nice but honestly not much different from my modified '05 EGlide. Glanced at a Wing but never cared for them or their riding position.

Stopped into a Victory dealership to look at the Cross Country out of pure curiosity. Liked it but they had a Vision sitting there on the showroom floor and again, thought it was damn goofy looking.

Funny thing is, the more I looked at it, the more curious I got. Hopped off of the Cross Country and got on the Vision and all I could think was the dash was 100ft long and that gauges were too far away. Sat the bike up and fiddled with it a little and discovered it set up pretty good for me, but it was still damn goofy looking. Walked around a few times and scratched my head, wondering why I was even looking at this damn spaceship looking POS. The store manager offered to let me take it for a ride so I came back a few days later on a weekend and took the Vision for a ride. That was really all it took for me (and the better-half). I had the option to buy just about any bike on the market (save some really pricy exotics) and the Vision won out head-to-head and unbiased.

Great bike in all respects. I love HD and will always be a fan, but I just like the Vision more. It rides great and it still looks goofy, but I really like it. To me it has sort of a retro look kinda like a chopped 50's Caddy and I don't pass myself on the road every hour or so. Can't put my finger on it but I am damn pleased so far- whoda thunk it...

I have had more comments and compliments on the Vision than any other bike I've ever ridden or owned. Honestly, I don't give a crap about that but it has surprised me (in a good way) a bit. I may wind up with another HD in the future but in the here and now, Victory makes a solid bike that won my money on its merits.

Anyway, I don't care much about the pissing contests. I like my bike and as long as you like yours, then cool. If you want to bitch and bash, take it somewhere else or I'll just ride somewhere else for a cold beer and a damn good leavin alone...

/r

Allen

#95 ·
I will admit, I stopped visiting the site here because of a lot of chest-thumping BS. Too much running around peeing on bushes, marking territory at times- Just gets old and boring... Came back because of one of the auto-emails the board generates so I figured I'd see what's up.

Surprised to discover there was a Victory board here! We recently sold the '04 Fatboy for a 2013 Vision.

I have to say that I thought the Vision was pretty goofy looking when I 1st saw it in 2008 and actually said out loud no damn way. My how a few years change things...

I was recently shopping for a new touring bike and rode a new RG and EGlide. Both nice but honestly not much different from my modified '05 EGlide. Glanced at a Wing but never cared for them or their riding position.

Stopped into a Victory dealership to look at the Cross Country out of pure curiosity. Liked it but they had a Vision sitting there on the showroom floor and again, thought it was damn goofy looking.

Funny thing is, the more I looked at it, the more curious I got. Hopped off of the Cross Country and got on the Vision and all I could think was the dash was 100ft long and that gauges were too far away. Sat the bike up and fiddled with it a little and discovered it set up pretty good for me, but it was still damn goofy looking. Walked around a few times and scratched my head, wondering why I was even looking at this damn spaceship looking POS. The store manager offered to let me take it for a ride so I came back a few days later on a weekend and took the Vision for a ride. That was really all it took for me (and the better-half). I had the option to buy just about any bike on the market (save some really pricy exotics) and the Vision won out head-to-head and unbiased.

Great bike in all respects. I love HD and will always be a fan, but I just like the Vision more. It rides great and it still looks goofy, but I really like it. To me it has sort of a retro look kinda like a chopped 50's Caddy and I don't pass myself on the road every hour or so. Can't put my finger on it but I am damn pleased so far- whoda thunk it...

I have had more comments and compliments on the Vision than any other bike I've ever ridden or owned. Honestly, I don't give a crap about that but it has surprised me (in a good way) a bit. I may wind up with another HD in the future but in the here and now, Victory makes a solid bike that won my money on its merits.

Anyway, I don't care much about the pissing contests. I like my bike and as long as you like yours, then cool. If you want to bitch and bash, take it somewhere else or
*I'll just ride somewhere else for a cold beer and a damn good leavin alone... (???)
Allen
I'd rather bitch, piss, moan and bash those who come here and bitch, piss, moan and bash what others are bitchin', pissin' moanin' and bashin'. Did I get that straight?

#96 ·
so far my 3 cruisers have been great

best one was the 2010 triumph thunderbird best handling and fit and finish
then 2012 victory cross country great ride lacking fit and finish
and sadly 2008 ultra classic great fit and finish and a solid ride

for me the ride is what makes my decision and the harley front end flexes too much for my comfort. it scared the **** out of me one day when i first felt it but i love the aftermarket support

#99 ·
Ya know.... Victory makes other models. The Vision isn't the only choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.