Ready for Alaska - Page 5 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Other Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Victory Motorcycles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #61 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

aubeagle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thank you for posting all of the cool pictures. A trip one will never forget.. Whats next?

S.
Ported MVA's
Crane 296-2
Woods lifters
SE Roller Rockers
HPI 55 tb
Marren 5.3
Injectors
VH Propipe
T/max
aubeagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #62 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollin' wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubeagle View Post
Thank you for posting all of the cool pictures. A trip one will never forget.. Whats next?

S.
Thank you!
Next? It will be a much shorter ride in 2013. The ride to Alaska was expensive!
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #63 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I kenneled three dogs$$$. I'd like to get back there, the trip pointed out other places I want to see. More of southern AK and northern Canada. Hyder Stewart, Dawson City.

I am thinking Newfoundland next, cause it can be done in two weeks, rather 3. Was nice to be gone for 3 weeks, but it was pricey and long.
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #64 (permalink)
IronButt

There are some great videos of the Dalton Highway on YouTube.

This one shows the Yukon River Crossing. It's a wooden bridge. The Yukon River Crossing Camp is also the first of only 3 gas stops on the Dalton Highway.

You do not want to miss any of the gas stops and this one is easy to miss. I talked to three riders that had missed it. This is just south of the Arctic Circle. From the Arctic Circle it's another 300 miles to Prudhoe Bay.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #65 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
This one shows the Yukon River Crossing. It's a wooden bridge. The Yukon River Crossing Camp is also the first of only 3 gas stops on the Dalton Highway.

No matter how remote, there is always a gift shop. We ate and bought a bunch Article Circle stuff.

Also at the bridge, easy to miss, is a tourism building where you can get a Arctic Circle patch. I missed it on the way up, and was closed on the way back. I ordered the patch though.

About 5 miles up the road is another gift shop and place with some food. They no longer have gas though.

Important to note the gas station closes at 9pm. I got there at 9:02. I had to go around and bang on the door to finally find someone to turn it back on.
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #66 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg MacD View Post
I see an ADV sticker......are you doing a "ride report" over there too?
I finally did add a report at Adventure Rider.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #67 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
No matter how remote, there is always a gift shop. We ate and bought a bunch Article Circle stuff.

Also at the bridge, easy to miss, is a tourism building where you can get a Arctic Circle patch. I missed it on the way up, and was closed on the way back. I ordered the patch though.

About 5 miles up the road is another gift shop and place with some food. They no longer have gas though.

Important to note the gas station closes at 9pm. I got there at 9:02. I had to go around and bang on the door to finally find someone to turn it back on.
I did pick up an Arctic Circle tee shirt and pin at this gas stop.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #68 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I always wished I have the free time to make these adventures. Most notably a dream I have of going back to Germany, and riding an on/off road down the old 11th ACR east west Border trace. but any of the adventures that I see folks posting about would be very cool. A few local guys and I are talking about the big Pacific coast to across the northern states ride for next summer, but I'm not sure.. Anyway, keep us posted, since I can only live vicariously through you on this one..
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #69 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
I always wished I have the free time to make these adventures. Most notably a dream I have of going back to Germany, and riding an on/off road down the old 11th ACR east west Border trace. but any of the adventures that I see folks posting about would be very cool. A few local guys and I are talking about the big Pacific coast to across the northern states ride for next summer, but I'm not sure.. Anyway, keep us posted, since I can only live vicariously through you on this one..
I feel for ya. I'm in the same boat. Just can't seem to find the time to do a long ride. Hell, I'm lucky if I can get away for an entire day. Every now and then I'll decide to take the day off and spend it just roaming the countryside, but it always seems to happen that I'll get a call around noon with some client's childish dilemma that I have to deal with.
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #70 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUTYM View Post
I feel for ya. I'm in the same boat. Just can't seem to find the time to do a long ride. Hell, I'm lucky if I can get away for an entire day. Every now and then I'll decide to take the day off and spend it just roaming the countryside, but it always seems to happen that I'll get a call around noon with some client's childish dilemma that I have to deal with.
Yep, and it was normally something they could/should have waited til the next day when back in the office to call.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #71 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
Yep, and it was normally something they could/should have waited til the next day when back in the office to call.
I actually had a client call on freaking Christmas day wanting to discuss an upcoming project. I didn't answer, but in his voice mail he boldly stated that because he chose to work that day I should have no problem spending a few hours on a planning call and demanded that I call him back ASAP. Yea, my ass!
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #72 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

stewart4128 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great Trip

I did Los Angeles to the Arctic Circle, It is a life change memory. I met a biker in Tok who had come from Boston. From Florida is hardcore !

I'm thinking of LA to Labrador Canada for some Atlantic Salmon fishing, then down to key west next summer. Any advice ?

Here is my post of Alaska post.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ri...ic-circle.html

Regards,

Stew

09 Ultra Vivid Black
Screamin Eagle pipes
Dyno Remap
Hammock seat with fixed backrest
Touring Handlebars

Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #73 (permalink)
IronButt

Nice ride Stew! Great pictures!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
IronButt

A little more detail -

North into the Sun

To me this was another unigue experience when riding north of the Arctic Circle.

It was 6:45 am (Alaska time) and I'm riding north and into the sun and had been for over 3 hours.

I kept looking at the GPS and saying "are you sure we're going the right way?"

Heading north to Prudhoe Bay, AK, 6:45 am -

Details

I take a lot of pictures and they really help to remember the trip details.
I like to start early. I had set the alarm for 2:00 am.

This picture - June 16th, 3:59 am (Alaska time).

It's 47 degrees and I'm 34 miles north of my starting point that day, Coldfoot, AK. (An earlier picture shows that I left Coldfoot at 3:00 am.)

An hour later the temperature would drop to 40 degrees (another picture) and then slowly would raise to the mid 50's.

A lot of detail in what was less than 1 second of a day -

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #75 (permalink)
IronButt

I found a video that really shows the road conditions in northern Alaska. Also shows scenic Prudhoe Bay!
This rider did the trip to Prudhoe Bay in early June. Great trip report!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement