Victory Motorcycles - Page 5 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Other Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Victory Motorcycles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #61 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFL459 View Post
Bought the Cross Country for it's Engineering, was pretty well stated is a lot easier to add a few mods like Lighting, Signals, Seats, than try to redesign an Engine that gave me enough grief on my last bike.. Was ready to try something Different anyway and hopefully Better .. So far quite happy with the change from my Twin Cam Ultra ...

The CC is a nice bike.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #62 (permalink)
IronButt

d1hojo wants to know where he is and how he got here
I've been lookin and reading and lookin and reading on the Victory and am very impressed. Spent a couple hours at a dealer and he even took me through the shop so I could check out the frames and really see how these things are put together. I want one so frikin bad it hurts. I'm going to rent a xcountry tour pretty soon to really see how they handle. It may take a while but I definitly see one in my future.

d1hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #63 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

JayFL459 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1hojo View Post
I've been lookin and reading and lookin and reading on the Victory and am very impressed. Spent a couple hours at a dealer and he even took me through the shop so I could check out the frames and really see how these things are put together. I want one so frikin bad it hurts. I'm going to rent a xcountry tour pretty soon to really see how they handle. It may take a while but I definitly see one in my future.
4,000 Miles on my XC now and Loving every minute especially since went to High Flow Lloyds Air Filter and Freedom True Duals tuned by a PCV ... Final Run 94.60 HP and 102.46 Ft Lbs Torque

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
IronButt

FXR Nut wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwflh1 View Post
Check out the High Ball
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...ages/Home.aspx

"its not a Harley" hell HD isnt as cool as they once were aka pre 1999.The Twinkies ruin the HD for me
My thoughts exactly, I hate the TC motor, ruined buying any new Harley for me too..

That said, I did test ride a Victory 8 ball about 5 years ago. I have to admit, it was a nice ride, handled good and good power but there was something missing.

I guess I just didn't like the way it sounded, not that it was quiet, just sounded too metric... I also thought it lacked the bottom end grunt I have been used to on a Harley.. Not that it wasn't fast but it had more HP than Torque.. I'm not used to revving to get power..

That was a while ago, they seem to have upped the torque these days according to specs but the sound is still lacking..
FXR Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #65 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR Nut View Post
My thoughts exactly, I hate the TC motor, ruined buying any new Harley for me too..

That said, I did test ride a Victory 8 ball about 5 years ago. I have to admit, it was a nice ride, handled good and good power but there was something missing.

I guess I just didn't like the way it sounded, not that it was quiet, just sounded too metric... I also thought it lacked the bottom end grunt I have been used to on a Harley.. Not that it wasn't fast but it had more HP than Torque.. I'm not used to revving to get power..

That was a while ago, they seem to have upped the torque these days according to specs but the sound is still lacking..

This should work if click the picture .. No way does it sound like a Harley and that was not my goal but I don't think it's lacking in sound at all .. Hopefully this Video/Sound works ..

Last edited by JayFL459; 01-31-2013 at 07:31 AM.
JayFL459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #66 (permalink)
IronButt

FXR Nut wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFL459 View Post
This should work if click the picture .. No way does it sound like a Harley and that was not my goal but I don't think it's lacking in sound at all .. Hopefully this Video/Sound works ..

Yes, the link worked, that does sound pretty good.. The one I test rode stock was likely just too quiet as any stock bike is these days.

I did plan to add a Vic to my stable and still might, I have 3 bikes and have already decided to sell the 2000 Dyna..

Keeping the 86 FXR (torn down at the moment)
Keeping 1996 Softail, too many memories plus, it's just a monster of a bike..

When the FXR is completed, I can sell the Dyna and I might look for a deal on a used VIC (likely touring) since I don't have a touring bike right now..
The biggest thing that keeps me from buying a Vic is that I do all of my own work on my bikes, I bet that Victory will be quite a learning curve for repairs....
FXR Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR Nut View Post
The biggest thing that keeps me from buying a Vic is that I do all of my own work on my bikes, I bet that Victory will be quite a learning curve for repairs....
Not as much as you think. The Vic engine is sh!t simple, but you do have to pull the engine out of the frame to get the heads/jugs off. Very few gaskets and seals, clutch mechanism is pure simple genius, change a belt in 1/2 an hour... You'll like working on it, but you'll need metric tools.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
Half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #68 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half_crazy View Post
Not as much as you think. The Vic engine is sh!t simple, but you do have to pull the engine out of the frame to get the heads/jugs off. Very few gaskets and seals, clutch mechanism is pure simple genius, change a belt in 1/2 an hour... You'll like working on it, but you'll need metric tools.
Oh God say it isn't so..

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #69 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

I had a lot of Metric wrenches anyway but back on topic, I find the Vic a breeze to work on what little work is needed .. Doing the 5K service was so simple kept checking the Manual because thought had to have missed something .. Only slight drawback is when replaced the AC Filter have to pull the Gas Tank which was easier than any HD tank I ever pulled .. As often as have to do that, can live with it easily ..
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #70 (permalink)
IronButt

TenMidgets wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went to HD looking to buy one. Last one I had was in the 90's before I started riding metrics. HD was in a bubble and people who were not riders were offering stupid money for used bikes. I sold my FXR to just a person and the market kept me out until now. So I went to the HD dealer and rode a 1200 Sportster then a Dyna and a Fat Boy earlier in the week....The Sportster was the best in terms of handling and power to weight, Nice package. Better handling than my V 1300. Lots of low end. Weaker roll on at 50. Dyna was a slug, Floppy handling. Brakes were terrible. I forgot how far the primary stuck out making for a wide stand for 30" inseams.

I could own one though. Dyna Lo was sweet....but after researching the TC motor I decided to keep my emotions in check and do some more research on maintenance costs since I hate wrenching. Called Harley from home asked for oil change and belt change costs. $350 for three hole change and almost $1400 for a belt!!(and a two week wait.. Rear Tire cost was close to $500 for a pair. Then I read of the cam tensioner issues and Flywheels not welded to the crank and slipping, and crank shaft slipping ( stopped using Timkin bearings),Heel Toe Shifters falling off. All these possibilities not probabilities but still too many for a bike that has been made for more than 100 years, all documented in the forums with most agreeing the EVO was the better motor. I had one and never had issues except for oil leaking here and there and electrical connectors.

Anyway I saw a Victory Vegas Lo and asked to test ride it.......and realized I have acquired "Metric ass" . I am too used t the metric cruisers. Harley felt like a tractor in comparison. I could use the rear view mirror at stops smooth stock power. Mid range omph. ............my quest for a Harley ended right there. "American iron " ( is anything really American nowadays?) Had all the mid range power and idle smoothness with a hint of V twin at idle of a metric. Cams are gear driven, Belt is on the best side for the shorter shaft, no primary chain to deal with and a well engineered "evo" engine. I was sold.
Downside? Stock bike whines like an old GL1000. That said New Harleys sound like....well who knows. I can hardly hear them. The bike I will be looking for will have to have at least slip ons. Plus more plastic chrome which is a plus if one lives where pitting metal is a concern. Plastic is less expensive and lighter as well. I prefer plastic dent/dig proof fenders but I never owned a bike with them.

Now the hard part is selling a Yamaha.... Looking at buying a Victory King Pin, 8 Ball or even a Cross Country Classic. VERY nice machine. No tradition no heritage just good engineering and what IMO Harley should have evolved to. All that said I would buy an old EVO if it had low miles and a sub $4000 price. As if....

Last edited by TenMidgets; 02-06-2013 at 10:36 AM.
TenMidgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #71 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

River7sailor wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Victory Motorcycles

I almost bought a Victory about 3 years ago. I went to the dealership several times and would sit on it and to get the feel of it. Just sitting there talking to myself outloud, trying to myself into taking it home. My wife would say, "how many times you gonna bother these people?" And I would just sit there stare way off... Started making motor sounds. After about 12 minutes of motor sounds. She said, "have you been double dipping on your meds again?" I guess drooling on the front of my shirt give me away. A week later I bought me a new Softail. Yippeeee! I didn't need my meds any more. I'm Healed!!!.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Past Rides:2010 Heritage Softail, Norton Commando, Triumph Bonneville, AMF Sportster, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda...
River7sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #72 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

Quote:
Originally Posted by River7sailor View Post
I almost bought a Victory about 3 years ago. I went to the dealership several times and would sit on it and to get the feel of it. Just sitting there talking to myself outloud, trying to myself into taking it home. My wife would say, "how many times you gonna bother these people?" And I would just sit there stare way off... Started making motor sounds. After about 12 minutes of motor sounds. She said, "have you been double dipping on your meds again?" I guess drooling on the front of my shirt give me away. A week later I bought me a new Softail. Yippeeee! I didn't need my meds any more. I'm Healed!!!.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
I know there's a point in there somewhere.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #73 (permalink)
IronButt

thefour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Victory Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
I know there's a point in there somewhere.
Point 1 double meds- extra 100 bucks a month

Point 2 fake out vic dealership-20 bucks in fuel wasted

Point 3 buy harley alway- happiness-priceless
thefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #74 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

Forgot to mention the Victory is a Chick Magnet ...

Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #75 (permalink)
IronButt

TenMidgets wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
Kawasaki isn't a Harley either. That statement makes no sense to me. My Ford Ranger isn't a Harley either.

I think the last good looking Harley motor was the Shovel. Now it's two squares at an angle.
That statement always cracks me up..... "It's not a Harley" Well if he WANTED a Harley I am sure he could GET a Harley. Sometimes NOT being a Harley is a good thing. 10 baggers in a row and one Victory. and the Victory will garner the interest.

It's also not a Yamaha. It is what it is. The other "white meat" ridden by more individualistic people who don;t need to belong to a brand fratermity
TenMidgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement