The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > V-Twin Forum News
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle.com wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters

Quote:
If you’re a motorcyclist, odds are that you aren’t one of those car drivers that squats in the left lane plodding along exactly at the speed limit while everyone else stacks up behind you with their blood pressure nearing the bursting point. Then again, maybe you are one of those mouth-breathers who believes it is their God-given right to drive in whatever lane they want, no matter who it inconveniences. (If you are, we’ve got a special place in Hell carved out for you to spend all of eternity listening to the Barney Song turned up to 11.)

While we’ve all experienced the aggravation of the left lane squatter, it turns out that slowing down traffic in the left lane is also a safety hazard because it forces faster drivers to weave back and forth between lanes, which can cause a cascading wave of deceleration in the right lane that further slows and stacks up traffic. Oh yeah, it increases the odds of an accident, too.

So, next time you see some doofus online, bloviating about how safe he is going the speed limit in the left lane instead of sticking to the right unless he’s passing, point him in the direction of the video below. While it probably won’t change the blowhard’s behavior, you might just inform some less experienced driver, like the narrator in the video, about proper lane discipline.
Read more about The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters at Motorcycle.com.
Motorcycle.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes I'm a big supporter of left lane passer lives matter!

If you dick around in the left lane you will cause a problem from road rage to an accident.

I'm highway travel to and from work, so left lane campers suck!

Because if you give Me Strength,

I'm gonna need bail money to go with it

2005 FLHRCI
Stage 1
True Duals V&H
S&S Lifters
S&S Push Rods
Drag S. High Volume Oil Pump
Heads 10.2.1 stage II TorqMaster
Manual Compression Release
Cometic Gaskets
Ported TB 53mm
Jugs Bored 98
Andrews a57
Wiseco Pistons
Barnett Clutch Spring
PC-5
2 inch tank lift
Custom Seat done by MCC.
Added Chromy Things
47,000mls road time
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Misters wants to know Dino or Syn?
leave thitry second earlier...

So what is the "acceptable" left lane speed the for the "FASTER" drivers?

What qualifies them to drive faster?
Misters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is still riding a stock bike RGRider is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misters View Post

Leave thirty seconds sooner? BS argument. It's about the FLOW of traffic. A left lane squatter screws it up and makes traveling more dangerous. If cars are passing you on the right get the F out of the left lane.
RGRider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Sarah93003 is still riding a stock bike Sarah93003 is still riding a stock bike
This is a serious issue in California which is notorious for horrible traffic jams and long commutes. There is absolutely no logical reason for someone to be in the left lanes and intentionally back up traffic because they want to go the speed limit or below. This action is responsible for a cascading effect known to anyone familiar with traffic patterns and dynamics. The drivers coming upon a slow car will have to put on their brakes, which begins the butterfly effect and a jam will occur eventually.

These drivers create dangerous situations as those behind them want to go faster and can't get around them. This is particularly troublesome in the car pool lane. I have seen CHP officers turn their lights on, follow a car to the far right and then turn the lights off and drive on.

California has codified that slower drivers need to stay to the right, regardless of the speed limit. "The duty of slower traffic to keep right applies "notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits." See, CVC 21654(a). http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=21650-21664

Many times I've witnessed drivers behind the "camper" have to cross a double yellow line just to make their exit which puts them at risk of a high $ ticket. With the millions of cars on the road everyday in SoCal it is asinine to intentionally impede the flow of traffic.

The left lanes are for passing. If a car is not passing they have no reason to be in the left lanes.
Sarah93003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Sarah93003 is still riding a stock bike Sarah93003 is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misters View Post

Leaving thirty seconds earlier in Kelso, population of 11,000+ may solve your issue. If you drive anywhere near Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, you had better leave 1 1/2 hours sooner if you want to make a substantial impact on your arrival time. Thirty seconds will only gain your a few car lengths in our rush hour traffic.

As for qualifying, Nascar training is a good start. On our major highways you won't even get a ticket if you are 80 mph or less. The 65 mph speed limit doesn't have much of an impact on our major highways.
Sarah93003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah93003 View Post
This is a serious issue in California which is notorious for horrible traffic jams and long commutes. There is absolutely no logical reason for someone to be in the left lanes and intentionally back up traffic because they want to go the speed limit or below. This action is responsible for a cascading effect known to anyone familiar with traffic patterns and dynamics. The drivers coming upon a slow car will have to put on their brakes, which begins the butterfly effect and a jam will occur eventually.

These drivers create dangerous situations as those behind them want to go faster and can't get around them. This is particularly troublesome in the car pool lane. I have seen CHP officers turn their lights on, follow a car to the far right and then turn the lights off and drive on.

California has codified that slower drivers need to stay to the right, regardless of the speed limit. "The duty of slower traffic to keep right applies "notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits." See, CVC 21654(a). http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=21650-21664

Many times I've witnessed drivers behind the "camper" have to cross a double yellow line just to make their exit which puts them at risk of a high $ ticket. With the millions of cars on the road everyday in SoCal it is asinine to intentionally impede the flow of traffic.

The left lanes are for passing. If a car is not passing they have no reason to be in the left lanes.
great post!
If i'm in the fast lane, i make sure i'm one of the fastest drivers/riders in that lane, if anyone is behind me and wishes to go faster, I always pull over and let him go by. The police need to enforce "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" laws and post more signs to let dumbasses know....
Tim
Old 09-03-2016, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

Zanthamos wants to know Dino or Syn?
In Europe the left lane is reserved for passing and emergency vehicles only. In Germany it is illegal to drive in the left lane unless you are passing another vehicle and illegal to pass another vehicle on the right unless you are in a traffic jam situation. I have seen first hand how well these rules in application actually work to improve road conditions, as this is a reason that the Germans can have a highway system that has few restrictions on speed without many major incidents.
Zanthamos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Jelly68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah93003 View Post
On our major highways you won't even get a ticket if you are 80 mph or less. The 65 mph speed limit doesn't have much of an impact on our major highways.
BS.
I got a ticket goin 65 on a major highway in my Peterbilt. Flat road, no traffic, 3 lanes of clear.
Cop walked up, took my info, came back and handed me a ticket. Said "Call this number in 30 days and they'll tell you the price"
Month later I called, it was like $40.
Lady said if I took a driving course I'd get no demerits. Told her I was not taking a course or getting demerits because Cali tickets don't mean chit to me and I wasn't coming down there to take a stupid course. She wanted to know what part of Cali I was from. I told her the CA on my address meant Canada, not everything is about Cali, then I hung up.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
'Toad'

Settertude is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Years ago in NH the majority of drivers passed only on the left. No longer the case.
Drivers used to know what merging meant. No longer the case.
Drivers used to not aggressively ride your bumper. No longer the case.

Talked to a cop the other day. Since our 'hands free' law went into affect, violations and observations show an increase in distracted driving.
People are idiots. Why? Damned if I know.

My two rules. Avoid clusters and respect the flow of traffic.
It's the unexpected that will get you.
Too slow or too fast throws off timing and perception.

"I am Groot"

When I talk like I think, people look at me funny and seldom respond.

Poser reunion 08/05/2016
Settertude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Where do you all get this stuff about the left lane being the fast lane?

The speed limit is the same regardless of lane.

As designed, the left lane was for passing slower traffic. And in urban areas it was the through lane, so as to free up the right lane for merging traffic. There used to be signs on the interstate for through traffic to move left in urban areas.

But traffic loads have changed and slow vehicles have become less common, as has obeying the speed limit. Here in PA the exit and entry ramps are so poorly engineered that moving left in the area of exits is a survival tactic. But running with traffic in the left lane will put you at least twenty over the limit. And the road conditions don't support 80-90 mph in a lot of places.

I really can't fault someone for not speeding. Sure it might inconvenience me, but such is life. What really frosts my balls is when a truck that is doing 50 up a 70mph grade, pulls out to pass another truck that is doing 48. Then they crawl up the hill, side by side.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
'Toad'

Settertude is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post

As designed, the left lane was for passing slower traffic. And in urban areas it was the through lane, so as to free up the right lane for merging traffic. There used to be signs on the interstate for through traffic to move left in urban areas.

But traffic loads have changed and slow vehicles have become less common, as has obeying the speed limit. Here in PA the exit and entry ramps are so poorly engineered that moving left in the area of exits is a survival tactic. But running with traffic in the left lane will put you at least twenty over the limit. And the road conditions don't support 80-90 mph in a lot of places.

I really can't fault someone for not speeding. Sure it might inconvenience me, but such is life. What really frosts my balls is when a truck that is doing 50 up a 70mph grade, pulls out to pass another truck that is doing 48. Then they crawl up the hill, side by side.
Toad scratching his head.

"I am Groot"

When I talk like I think, people look at me funny and seldom respond.

Poser reunion 08/05/2016
Settertude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Misters wants to know Dino or Syn?
Washington, Oregon have the left lane law.. At any speed it promotes tail gating, bullying and reckless lane changes.

Some cities up here have HOV lanes on the right, in populated shopping areas... promotes Camerys {going for some milk} getting T-boned.

You can make a right turn thru a stop sign some places...promotes disregard for stop signs. Those traveling in the right lane are at risk when driver blow thru stop signs.

There is a problem with laws not being enforced, just more added.
Misters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post

All the things you listed make the inside lane the 'fast lane'. It's just a convenient phrase that does not mean you have to be speeding.

Something I enjoyed about Germany is that, on the Autobahn at least, a slow car getting in the way in the inside lane gets a ticket. Same for a fast car if he's impeding a faster one.

joe
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Saved wants to know where he is and how he got here
"Keep Right Except To Pass" laws notwithstanding, the behavior of left-lane campers is the same passive aggressive nonsense as a kid sitting in the back seat with his finger a millimeter from his sister, going "I'm not touching you....I'm not touching you..."

It's about common courtesy and consideration for your fellow man, but few people these days know anything about that.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth upon Him should not perish, but have life everlasting." --John 3:16

Last edited by Saved; 09-12-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Saved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.