» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums
New User? Register Forgot Password

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/)
-   V-Twin Forum News (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-twin-forum-news/)
-   -   Lake Superior Circle Tour (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-twin-forum-news/219071-lake-superior-circle-tour.html)

Admin 01-17-2013 01:54 PM

Lake Superior Circle Tour

Whenever and wherever riding enthusiasts congregate and discuss the best places to ride, the old standards like the Pacific Coast Highway, Cabot Trail and Deals Gap come up often. I recently started hearing about another one lately that had me intrigued - The Lake Superior Circle Tour.

After booking a week's vacation and a BMW K1600GTL a month in advance, I finally set off from my home in Toronto, Ontario during the first week of July to enjoy some long days on the open road and warm nights by the water.

More: Lake Superior Circle Tour on Motorcycle.com

SteveB 01-25-2013 07:34 PM

Did you see any bears?

berserker 01-25-2013 07:51 PM

I've done it twice. Once the weather was great, once it sucked. Both the same time of year.

River7sailor 01-25-2013 08:57 PM

Re: Lake Superior Circle Tour

I want to do the Great Lakes Challenge (IronButt) this year, but I'll probably wait till June. Weather shouldn't be so iffy. Since moving to MI from FL, I've discovered MI weather can change in a hurry.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

berserker 01-25-2013 09:11 PM

June isn't the best either. So pack warm.

River7sailor 01-25-2013 09:52 PM

I'll tell my wife you said that, and that's why I'm buying that heated gear.

grbrown 01-26-2013 05:39 AM

My wife and I shipped our bike to the USA from the UK in 2003 for the Centenary and looked into riding around all the Lakes. The total mileage was breath-taking and would have needed new tyres part way round, not to mention the time, so we made do with visiting each of them instead. At Sault St Marie we met a group who had just completed their trip around Superior, so we suddenly got envious! Perhaps one day.....

River7sailor 01-26-2013 06:09 AM

Since I stay in Michigan a lot nowdays, I figured I'd check out some closer cruising routes. The Great Lakes Circle sounded interesting. Perhaps with some elevation changes and shoreline sights. The lower peninsula in MI is mostly flat. I'm kinda hooked on the Sierra, Rockies and Applachians mountains. But when I'm jone'sn and need a quick fix - I need to scout out some closer rides.

BigBlueXCII 01-26-2013 07:22 AM

We did the 3/4 of the tour ( northern part ) Aug/Sept 2012. This is truely a great ride. We camped along the way and the sights are nothing short of amazing. The weather was everything from full leather to t-shirt.
I would recomend this ride and would do it again.

scootertramp46 01-26-2013 08:02 AM

I rode my 46 Indian on the tour in 2002. It was indeed a great ride.
They cancelled the tour indefinitely in 2012, but left the route and photos from previous tour on the website.
http://www.wolfsheadrally.com/circletour/main.htm

berserker 01-26-2013 10:34 AM

The eastern portion of the north side of Lake Superior has a long ass stretch without gas. Gas up in Wawa.

Rendell 01-26-2013 12:02 PM

I don't know I looked at the site that was listed and there were Metric bikes and Harleys riding together? LOL
just kidding, stiring the pot.
It looks like a great ride. Being from Wisconsin originally, That looks like a great summer ride for me and some of my boys back home..

berserker 01-26-2013 03:41 PM

I don't see alot of Harleys in Canada. American riders seem to be afraid to go that far from a bar. I buy it at the duty free store, when crossing.

dreimink 01-29-2013 08:59 PM

We did the Circle last June. Some rain and cold weather. Lots of great times! We'll do it again, maybe in July.

berserker 01-30-2013 07:08 PM

July is when I hit the rain and cold weather.