V-Twin Forum banner

2012 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Convertible Review

26K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Alertinspector 
#1 ·

I've befriended many Harley owners over the years, and have met even more while at various events or when I'm out for a ride. Yet despite the number of Harley fans and loyalists I encounter, it never ceases to surprise me how few of them either know very little about, or haven't ever heard of, Harley-Davidson's line of in-house customs known as Custom Vehicle Operations, or CVO for short.

Crafted from existing standard model Harleys, a CVO is adorned with a laundry list of Harley's own aftermarket goodies, as well as possessing a number of items or features unique to each model.

CVOs are notably pricier than the standard models they're derived from, but by comparison to many high-end, high-priced cruisers from independent shops with low-volume production, the CVOs offer some serious value. Attempting to build something close to a CVO one piece at a time would lead to a sum total cost well beyond a CVO's MSRP.

And in terms of value, what revs most folks' engines is getting more than what was bargained for, especially when the deal nets you something on the order of two-for-one. The $29,699 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Convertible is just such a two-for-one deal.

More: 2012 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Convertible Review on Motorcycle.com

See less See more
#4 ·
In the Admin's defense... he didn't say people were cheap or didn't care... rather they are ignorant of the program :) I come across the same thing.. people asking "what is CVO?" ...

Whether someone thinks its a good deal or has value, is a whole other issue .........

#5 ·
Why pay $20,000 when you can ride a metric for sub $10K? If you have the $$, it changes the equation don't you think?

Or .. just go take out that 7 year loan for any of the models...... lol

#7 ·
I traded my old bike in on a 2012 Ultra Classic with all the goodies, List was $23,995. I also bought a 99 fat boy for a project bike. Stripped it down to the frame and rebuilt it, cam, lifters, push rods, jug and head work new valves and carb. added a lot of chrome and tin on the front. After it was completed I had as much in the rebuild as I paid for the bike.

With this being said, I dont think you can buy a stripped down new bike and make it your own as cheap as you could buy a CVO ready to ride.

#8 ·
With a couple of exceptions, it seemed to me when I was shopping for a HD recently, that the new regular - line bikes were strippers, and that it would take some serious coin to get them where I'd like them to be. So, I bought a three - year old SG Custom with 6k on the clock, for about 5 g's less than a new one. It had a couple of extras, but I added a removable windshield and a sissy bar backrest/luggage rack. Those few things added almost 1 g to the price - still a lot less than new. You'd have a hard time convincing me that a new regular - line bike, with the extras I'd want, is worth it.

The CVO's, on the other hand, might make sense if you must have new and want some serious upgrades that would cost you more than buying the CVO.

#10 ·
I bought a nice Mustang seat and a HD sissy bar/backrest on ebay for about $200 for both items. So it's possible to add a lot of extras without breaking the wallet if you shop other than HD dealers for the items.

#12 ·
CVO's are great bikes if you have the $$$. I've owned several HD's but decided to buy a CVO because I could. I've always enjoyed buying and installing all the add ons, possibly as much as riding, but this time I bought the CVO.
I did my research and found the CVO was a much better deal compared to buying and installing everything myself. Typically the resale value of a CVO bike was higher than the others as well. The SE engine was a big part of the decision too.

#13 ·
Screaming Eagle AKA "CVO"

This is my first and last post.

I have a 08 Road Glide I bought new, I first upgraded it to a 103 with cams and head work. I wanted more from my bike so I installed a 110 stage 4 kit and the bike rode great and I loved the power. it cost a lot to upgrade it to a 110 because the cases need to be bored. I then installed a 120R which is another life all together. I just bought a 2012 Screaming Eagle "CVO" Road Glide (Blue) because after seeing how much it cost just to a 110 up grade it was much cheaper to buy a CVO. it comes with all the bells and whistles, custom paint (which is amazing in the shade and even more amazing in the sun) it was a win win. Oh my 08 has 45,000 miles and I have over 10,000 on the 120R with no issues. its my everyday rider and the CVO is for the weekend rides. Since 05 I have had a 05,07, 08 and a 2012 road glides all over 35,000 miles except the 2012. I work every day, I am not rich and I do know the meaning of the dollar. for the price you can't beat the deal. of coarse if you pay more then MSRP then its a different game. I paid MSRP.30,699.00. Since I know this question is going to come up The 08 has 131HP and 131TQ and I get 48mpg when I cruise. it has a RB racing pipe and a TTS tuner. Good luck in your journeys :dh:

#14 ·
I own my second CVO Fatboy an 05 it listed $28,800, I have over 35K miles on it as I ride it to work almost everyday I don't have a lot of money but I have owned Harleys for over 40 years & I have built over 50 myself. I currently own 6 HDs from a 1960 Duo-Glide which I have had since 69 to a 130" Pro Street which I built. If you don't want to spend the money on a CVO then don't it's simply a matter of what you want & what you want to spend. I'm trying to decide if I want to trade my 05 in on a a new CVO Street Glide or buy a straight up Street Glide & put a 120R on it myself because the motors are the primary component of the CVO upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

#15 ·
I bought 2008 flhtcu this spring it only had 6000 miles on it. i put heated handle bar grips, a ton of hd chrome, road tech gps with dash mount, se big bore kit and exhaust and now i'm waiting for a price from my dealer on se heads and fuel, but now i'm thinking i should just order a cvo flthcuse and be done with it

#16 ·
Dreaming about my first Harley. I am new to motorcycles in general (age 49) and am currently riding a Yamaha XVS 650 as my leg up to a Harley one day. I have posted on a Yahoo forum with the reply recommending a Road King. I like the Roadie though my heart keeps coming back to a softail. Does any body have any misgivings with regards to the CVO Convertible excluding price. I also like the softail deluxe.

Expected usage, monthly four hour rides with my local church, plus an hour for lunch. Annual five day ride, rides on sunny days when I do not feel like working. Four times a year I receive a six day break for all the weekends I work, hopefully I can take the wife and myself away for spa and wine trip to other country and costal towns two hours or so away.

Are mini ape hangers something to be avoided? Good for looks though not for riding. After as much input as people feel like sharing.

To CVO or not to CVO?

Paul.

#18 ·
unless you have $$$$$ to throw away, since they are just overpriced blinged out bikes with IMPORTED bolt-on pieces, offer a real program that allows upgrading harleys cheap components with REAL shocks and forks built for the buyers weight and riding style, also braking upgrades are needed on most models

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.