Motorcycle Safety Primer : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum News
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
V-TwinForum

Admin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Motorcycle Safety Primer

Motorcycling has always been about fun and without a doubt it can be a blast, but it’s not a video game, or a trip to an over-safety-engineered amusement park.

Like a lot of higher-stakes adrenaline rushes, riding is a measured gambit, and one to always maintain a healthy respect for. But most people know this already, so what is there to talk about right? Wrong.

Even the best riders crash. Sometimes it is their fault. Sometimes not. Does it really matter if you or someone you care about goes down and gets hurt? Sure it matters on one level, but even more important is ensuring it does not happen in the first place – or if it does anyway, you are as prepared as possible.

Unlike automobile driving, motorcycling involves far more variables to pay attention to. These include details involved with protecting yourself, improving your ability and focus, making sure your machine is in good working order, and watching out for the other driver.

Riding takes more skills and focus than driving a car, and the penalty for getting it wrong is usually more severe. As such, we’ll hit some of the high spots to stay mindful of.

Gear

Though most states don't require you to wear one, we can't think of a good idea not to put on a helmet when you ride.

Nearly two-thirds of American states now require no helmet for most riders, or certified motorcycle-specific clothing. It may be your right not to wear these, but never is it a good idea.

All sanctioned racing requires full coverage helmets that meet minimum certification standards, and head-to-toe protection. If the pros know the gear serves a life-saving purpose, doesn’t that suggest everyday riders should follow their example?

True, it can be tempting on a hot day to forget the leather or textile, but why take that chance? There is gear made for every climate from cold weather to super hot.

Road rash and broken bones are serious business, as many an experienced rider can tell you. With no crash cage around you, and the increased likelihood of one day hitting the ground or another immovable object, why risk it?

More: Motorcycle Safety Primer on Motorcycle.com
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I try and read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough twice a year to keep myself on my toes. It's a very good read about the realities of riding a bike on the roads.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

michaelhenry14 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am totally agreed with your views that motorcycle is the symbol of danger and safety techniques are necessary for its smooth and peaceful driving.
michaelhenry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

animals_po wants to know Dino or Syn?
I believe the constant analysis of all the variables around you and your proficiency when riding is a large part of the fun!
animals_po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

animals_po wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am such a nerd before I ever rode, I read and read and read about technique and safety. By no means did this make me a descent rider but it sure offered me the opportunity to match up theory with the skills you learn and continue to learn on a ride by ride basis.
Those things will stop on a dime and accelerate or decelerate to get out of the way.
Today I am still amazed at how many bike mishaps are totally avoidable.
animals_po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

belavierjewelry wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with you guys. When driving a motorcycle you need to know the safety techniques first.
belavierjewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Motorcycles are designed to handle a set way, if you don't understand how they work at the basic and advanced level it will come back and bit you.

Believe it or not a a big touring cruiser will handle control inputs the same as a sport bike. The control inputs are the same, the sport bike will respond faster and with more authority.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

FiremanBill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Motorcycles are designed to handle a set way, if you don't understand how they work at the basic and advanced level it will come back and bit you.

Believe it or not a a big touring cruiser will handle control inputs the same as a sport bike. The control inputs are the same, the sport bike will respond faster and with more authority.
OK, I'm still learning.. Just crossed the 1000 mile point with my new (to me) FXDC. Have heard a lot about setting the bike down to avoid a crash, but haven't found any info about how the technique should play out. Any advice?

Also interested in learning more about defensive maneuvering and "steering around" a potential collision. Guess maybe I ought to do some parking lot practice?

Took the MSF course before I put mile 1 on any motorcycle, and glad I did. The course of instruction and my instructors were terrific.
FiremanBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

foolioGrimz wants to know Dino or Syn?
my beginners instruction was... this's the clutch, brakes, throttle. your all set !
foolioGrimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBill View Post
OK, I'm still learning.. Just crossed the 1000 mile point with my new (to me) FXDC. Have heard a lot about setting the bike down to avoid a crash, but haven't found any info about how the technique should play out. Any advice?

Also interested in learning more about defensive maneuvering and "steering around" a potential collision. Guess maybe I ought to do some parking lot practice?

Took the MSF course before I put mile 1 on any motorcycle, and glad I did. The course of instruction and my instructors were terrific.
Never, Never put the bike down to avoid a crash!!!!! That way have worked in the 50-60's, but today brakes and tires are far better at slowing you down then metal.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

RichH wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm reading Proficient Motorcycling right now. Lots of good info and it's only $16 on Amazon.

2008 FXDC
Life Member of the NRA
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

2010 FLHX wants to know where he is and how he got here
Best $100 I've ever spent on the bike was the three days of coaching, riding, instruction from Team Oregon -- DMV sponsored safety program. I've been riding for about 35 yrs, took the class because it gets me the state motorcycle endorsement for the license. (State driving test can't be done on a Hawg. They're too big and heavy to manage the turns and slaloms.)

35 yrs of riding and I found out on Day One of this instruction that I was doing a poor job of checking behind me, looking when merging or changing lanes. If you physically LOOK with an obvious head turn, you signal other drivers that you're checking your lane.

My current "beef" these days is rolling through stop signs. EVERYONE locally rolls through the stop signs.
2010 FLHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

ahmadbhai14 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amazing!!!! huge information about the topic i like to look at it when people need it more as a conduct.. hmm great posting
franchise
ahmadbhai14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement