Shootout: 2010 Honda Shadow RS vs. 2010 Harley-Davidson 883 Low : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum News
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
V-TwinForum

Admin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Shootout: 2010 Honda Shadow RS vs. 2010 Harley-Davidson 883 Low

Since the 1980s when Japanese V-Twins began in earnest to whittle away from Harley-Davidson's customer base, a lot of discussion has evolved into what is now a perennial debate about who makes a better cruiser.

It's been a four-against-one prize match, and H-D has more than held its own, but that doesn't stop the Japanese from making motorcycles more and more like the original.

As previously written about, Honda's Shadow RS has been widely observed to have more than a passing resemblance to Harley's also recently reviewed 883 Low Sportster, although the Japanese bike's base price is $800 more.

Is Honda trying to say it has made a better Harley-Davidson than Harley can? Is it just a fluke of yen/dollar currency valuation that forces Honda to price its bike higher to make a fair profit?

In the case of the 883L and Shadow RS, it's almost beside the point, as this duo has personalities that are distinct from each other.

More: Shootout: 2010 Honda Shadow RS vs. 2010 Harley-Davidson 883 Low on Motorcycle.com
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Glenn W wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wonder why they compared the Shadow with a Low? Why not compare it to a std. Sporty?
-Hunter S. Thompson

Adding a Fairing to your Road King or Heritage Softail? Please check out Woody's
Glenn W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

benford46 wants to know Dino or Syn?
No Satandard in the 883 line anymore.
benford46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Glenn W wants to know Dino or Syn?
Guess that'd explain it then
-Hunter S. Thompson

Adding a Fairing to your Road King or Heritage Softail? Please check out Woody's
Glenn W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

JOKENightTrain wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn W View Post
Guess that'd explain it then
Just when I thought the 883L was the bike for my wife; I love Harley's but, ain't there always a but, her safety (pegs) and comfort (ride) are paramount to keeping her riding.

Harley's and Vette's - because life's too short to play with bad toys!
JOKENightTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

04 sport wants to know Dino or Syn?
In my opinion there is no comparison. The Harley is american made.
04 sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
kinda cool that the test took place in my backyard, so to speak, in the local mountains (above pic taken @ the Mt Baldy lodge)...i go there often. Shame Harley limits the selection of an entry level bike to a LOW 883 that makes it a bit unwieldly to big or tall folks. Not to mention the low lean angle. I guess they want to up-sell people to the Nightster and 1200's....
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
No way I'd buy this Honda over a Sportster... and the Sportster costs less!!! Who'd a thunk it!
Torq Monster Motorworks
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bdejong11129 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was not easily seen in any of the pictures that the foot pegs on the Honda are all that higher from the ground than on the Harley. It would have been nice to see a measurement difference since such a big deal was made about grinding down the pegs on the road.

The bike is almost kid sized for me (6'3") so I never really pay much attention to them but they guys did look a little large for the bikes and maybe they should have the type of rider that would purchase this bike do the review.

While I ride a Harley because its a Harley I will not let the MoCo get away with anything just because. That being said I hope the HD starts to really pay attention and not take for granted that people will continue to buy them "just because" Ask the big three auto companies if they learned their lesson....
bdejong11129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

JOHNNYWISHBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
"such a big deal was made about grinding down the pegs on the road."

PEGS COST ALMOST NOTHING.
JOHNNYWISHBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 sport View Post
In my opinion there is no comparison. The Harley is american made.
I've never heard anyone voice the opinion that Harleys're NOT made in America, so you're probably safe with that one.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Buck99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If Harley's are so crappy and old, why do all the Japanese companies try to copy them right down to the shape of the tail lights?
Buck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

Josh818 wants to know Dino or Syn?
No two ways about it.... the Honda ain't a Harley.... Enough said! I owned a Shadow before my Harley... It is kinda like kissing your sister.... just ain't the same....
Josh818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Keep the rubber side down

nixdad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh818 View Post
No two ways about it.... the Honda ain't a Harley.... Enough said! I owned a Shadow before my Harley... It is kinda like kissing your sister.... just ain't the same....
Ok, ewwwwww!

Nixdad
Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner
nixdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BackOn2wheels wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I decided to get back in the saddle as a rider, my neighbors and friends told me that the Japanese bikes were just as good, dependable, easy to work on and had plenty of power. I rode several Shadows, an old Gold Wing, a Kawi cruiser of some sort and was not really impressed. I went to my Harley dealer when I saw an add for demo rides and took a day off to see what it was all about. The standard Sporty was nice but I didn't like mid controls. As I looked for more features and better ride, the prices started to go up. I found a nice softail standard but it turned out to have mechanical issues that caused problems. The dealer relented and assumed responsibility for trying to sell a bike with issues and cut 2 grand off the Dyna Low Ride I have now.

Since I have had the Low Rider, I took a short ride on a friend's new Kawi cruiser and he took the Harley. We were out for 50 or 60 miles when we stopped for a break. He said he was going to get rid of the Kawi and wanted to get a Low Rider. I wasn't impressed by the Kawi's acceleration or cruising 'road feel' but it was OK.
BackOn2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.