So is the extended warranty "returnable"? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2003, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Fat Boy Al wants to know Dino or Syn?
So is the extended warranty "returnable"?

Since I haven't made it through the first year and I know I want to make some mods that will render the extended warranty useless... should/can I return it? Get my money back?
I've heard you can...
Fat Boy Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2003, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

wurkenman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wouldn't that be something, to get money back from HD!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

harleygirl64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My Understanding is that ..used to be that if you never used the extended warranty.. that you got some money back.. not sure how much.. but now I'm told H-D doesn't offer this any more.. Now , I could be wrong about all this..But , I know when my bro bought his RK in 2000 they did offer this incentive...he showed me the papers....any ways call yer stealer and ask! Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Magical-1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I believe the extended warranty (EW) is underwritten by another company. Maybe HD "participates" in some of the earnings for each policy sold. If they are like EW's for autos, the dealer definitely "participates" in the earnings!
The catch is that if you request a cancelation and partial refund of the EW policy, it is usually calculated upon the actual cost to the dealer. The dealer may not automatically refund any of his "profit" on the policy.
For autos a typical policy may cost the dealer $300 but he sells it to you for $1,200 or more! So, in the example above, the refund calculation is based upon only $300! You can ask the dealer to calculate a refund on "his portion" of the premium, but he is not obligated to do so.
Extended warranties are not regulated by the insuance commission like life and disability premiums. The dealer can (and usually does) charge what ever the customer is willing to pay. In fact the salesman (or the "Finance and Insurance" guy) gets a piece of the action too!
By the way, if the EW premium was financed (most of the time they are) any refunds from the cancelation will be sent to the lender to have it applied as a "principal reduction" to the loan. This will not affect when your next payment is due but instead just shorten the "maturity date" of the loan and reduce a little of the interest over time. One last note. If the loan is paid off early due to an insurance settlement for a total loss or theft, be sure to request cancelation of all premiums and you may get a little pocket change refunded.

Last edited by Magical-1; 01-17-2003 at 02:50 AM.
Magical-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some if not all HD dealers used to offer an extended warranty whereby you are refunded the total cost if the extended warranty was not used. I had one of these and it worked. They also refunded partial cost (see above post) if one was cancelled. Bottom line is: you've got the policy, get it out and read it. There have been too many different ones, changes made, etc., for anyone to tell you definitely. Your policy should lay it out.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

yellowFatboy200 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was dumb enough to buy 1. Went to several diff stealers and got a diff price fer the exact same warranty. From 750 to 1425. And when you buy a five yr extended 1 its starts from the day you bought yer ride not when you pay for the policy. So they rip you off a years worth from the day you pay for it. MF's
Old 01-17-2003, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Strick9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just bought a 95 and got a 2 year warranty on it for about 800 bux- saw the base gaskets weeping on the floor- but the price on the bike was right and there's a lot of engine work I intend to do to this bike down the road sine it is bone stock -a friend of mine who had an indy shop did a lot of hd warranty work there. Leaking base gaskets are just that no matter who's cam is in the bike. I may even see if a guy at the shop who fixes my car can do my warranty work- the mods may play hell with the 1 yr HD warranty but the extendeds are not by HD at all. Sometimes the warrranty company asks for the bad parts to be sent to them to verify the work was done.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

JFScheck wants to know Dino or Syn?
Important question is, what does your Stealer have to say?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

LVFXDWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
NCR 52 is correct on the warrenty being underwritten by another company.
I had a turn signal module go bad and had it repaired at a local shop, not the Harley Dealer. Filed a claim and recieved reimbursment from CNA National Warranty Co. You are suppose to have prior approval on claims, but this went through without it.

Last edited by LVFXDWG; 01-22-2003 at 11:27 AM.
LVFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
I ain't right

TERMINKNOTTER wants to know Dino or Syn?
From my policy :
Section 10 Cancellation
1. PROCEDURES
YOU may cancel this caontract at any time by surrendering the Part I (PROOF OF REGISTRATION) ant Part II to the SELLING DEALER together with a written requuest
2. REFUND DISTRIBUTION
blah blah blah if you own it you get the money, if you have a lienholder joint check, if repossed or totaled leinholder gets all
3.REFUND CALCULATUION:
blah blah blah within 60 days for new, 30 days used and no claims SELLING DEALER will refund full purchase price to you. Afetr that time pro rated less a $35.00 processing fee.

HARLEY DAVIDSON SERVICE CENTER 800-527-7665 ext 444

Good luck, let us know how you make out
TERMINKNOTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

As we all know, not all dealers (auto or otherwise) are the same. The price variance for the same policy (mentioned earlier) is a good example. In the rare (?) instance that a dealer should go out of business or sell the shop to another buyer, one may have difficulty with securing a refund on the "dealer's markup portion". If you request a refund directly from the underwriter, they usually do not know what the dealer sold their policy for.
In the old days, many of the auto dealers were "self insured". If they went out of business you were SOL. Some may have held the lender up under the "holder in due course" clause for the necessary repairs. That's when the banks got smart and would not finance (include) EW's in the contract unless the policy was underwritten by an approved company.
I am sure many things have changed over the years, but I still do not think EW's are regulated by the insurance commissions or state agencies. Therefore, warranty claims and refund proceedures may vary from dealer to dealer or contract to contract.
Fortunately, we do not have to worry about any of this if we are happy with the product and do not need a refund.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

seanu wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your warranty is definitley cancellable, this is the law. It is based on a pro rata calculation on your original purchsae price, dealer cost has nothing to do with it. Follow the procedure Terminknotter outlined and you will have no problem.
seanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Question

Seanu,
I do not believe anyone said you could not cancel the policy. I have attempted to describe certain situations that an unsuspecting consumer should be aware of "if" they decide to request a cancelation.

What law are you refering to?

Things may have changed in the last few years but EW's do not fall under the same regulations that credit life and disability do. If they did, you would not see the the same policy offered at a wide range of prices. I may be wrong, but the policy could also specify short rate or flat rate for their method of calculating refunds.

Bottom line is that EW's are just another "profit point" in a dealer's sales transaction. They could give you a sweet deal on the EW and make it up somewhere else. It's like DOC fees. They used to be $50... now I see $450... to process your title work?
Old 01-18-2003, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

BigG wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an extended on my '03 - it can be transferred to another bike, transferred to a buyer, or you can cash in the unused balance - the trick with that part is that it's front end loaded.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Fat Boy Al wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talked with Stealer today. They will indeed refund the money. Less, of course, the first year. Now isn't THAT bs? I thought I had a FREE warranty the first year... so why does 1/7th come off the price of a warranty I would have never used in the first year anyway???
No longer wondering why ya'all call em stealers....
Fat Boy Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement