Best USA Places To Live For Year Round Motorcycle Riding? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
FNG :)

Elephant Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Huntsville Alabama

North Alabama has some great year round riding. Winter temps rarely go under 20 degrees. I commute 160 miles a day... work in Huntsville and live near the Mississippi border. Coldest ride in last year was 23 degrees... no problem to dress for. I ride an Ultra Classic, so there is plenty of wind protection.

Huntsville has a lot of defense contractors, so the job market is good for tech jobs, and all the spin-offs. Lots of construction going on, cotton fields are turning into subdivisions all over.
Elephant Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
I haven't seen your bird.

MadCity is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally posted by Maduro Man_wcp
central valley of CA is year round riding....that being said, when I retire I am getting the hell outa here...
I had to laugh when I read that. I went to college at Fresno State. I grew to consider the Central Valley as the armpit of California. And I'm sorry to say that I don't have that "perfect riding place" to suggest because, as we've seen from earlier replies, they all have a downside — high housing costs/real estate taxes, congestion, heat, rain, you name it. If I could pick my riding paradise, it would be two places — a summer riding paradise and a winter riding paradise. I have to say that parts of Wisconsin, particularly the southwest corner and the far north, are a summer riding paradise. Winter? I dunno. Doesn't matter. I can't afford to be one of those proverbial "snow birds" anyway.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Y2K King wants to know Dino or Syn?
i chose ne ga...great riding and good weather. housing costs are way down.
moved from fl last year.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rob_OBX wants to know Dino or Syn?
coastal NC is pretty decent, stay within a half hour of the atlantic and winters are pretty mild. And it's still a bargain compared to most places. On the outer banks, you can be within view of the ocean for less than $400k.

We now live west of Richmond, absolutely beautiful riding and with a windshield you can ride all year (well, I do) I can be in the mountains in an hour and at the beach in 2, real estate is not bad, taxes are cheap, roads are in great shape (I grew up in the Pittsburgh area...) And the economy in VA is hands down the best in the USA.
07 XB12R
Hers
04 FXSTI
Rob_OBX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Southern nevada is pretty good but you must adjust for the summer heat. beautiful the other 9 months of the year.
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

jdcustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider
I'm going to relocate out of the west coast of Florida, too hot, rainy, humid, hurricanes, crazy real estate taxes/insurance.

Being able to ride my bike in comfort (not too cold/hot or wet) a majority of the year is what I'm looking for.

Not sure yet if the economics and natural disasters of living in California work for me but I'm looking into it.

Thanks for any input!
California's full don't move here!!!!

Having said that I have lived here all my life and am looking to get out, it looks like all the a-holes from other places decided that California is the place to live. If you like crowds, a-holes and pompus MF's, RUB's corrupt goverment, etc then go ahead and move here.

Me I'm getting the hell out ASAP.
jdcustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
100th Road Glide

FULLDRAWMIKE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have lived in Bristol Tennessee (where I grew up), Huntsville Alabama, Burlington North Carolina and last but not least here in the Shenandoah Valley just between Harrisonburg and Charlottesville Virginia. As for the best riding, here near the Blue Ridge and not far from West Virginia is the best riding but we have winters that can shut you down for a couple of months unless your a diehard. I am not. The best year around riding weather wise by far is what is called the Piedmont area of North Carolina. I rode year around. Check into Greensboro, Winston Salem, Burlington area of NC. I played golf in shorts and tee shirts in February there! Hope this helps. Good Luck!
FULLDRAWMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Flattopjohnny wants to know Dino or Syn?
Arizona is bike country

This is the best place to live and ride. Sure there are 90 days a year when it's hot as hell, but the other 270 are pretty good.

No helmet law, plenty of wide open space to ride and large bike community.
Flattopjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SAFXDL is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastooltime
No state income tax. You can ride without a helmet if you meet the criteria. You can ride pretty much 365 days a year if you don't mind cold and rain occassionally. No 3.2 beer. Bar B Que and Mexican food everywhere. We have concealed carry laws so you can pack heat if you will do it legal. You can ride all day and never leave the state. We have tall pines and hills, flat lands and desert, beaches, mountains, all kinds of game. We have some of the friendliest people and the most beautiful women anywhere. Just a pretty good place to be if you like to ride year round. Of course I was born here so I am a little biased.
Down here is South Texas you can ride year round....even in the dead of winter..LOL...WINTER in South Texas....damn I kill me!!!

Proud Parent of a Son serving his country

'08 FLHPI, 103, SERT, Fatcat 2/1 Black, Reckless Fairing w/tunes.

SAFXDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Where I am in Northern California there's good riding most of the year. It does get chilly in the winter I must admit but that's only about three months.

The original thread was about riding. If you begin to factor in thihgs like cost of living, housing and population levels along with the good riding, you'd have to stay away from Califonria in general, that is if you just want to move. The cost of housing here is not for the faint of heart. That's a big thing.

Riding, though, is a different issue and it's great where I am most of the year. Around Sacramento, California near where I am, it's a very active motorcycling area
newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
You're an evildoer.

tibs wants to know Dino or Syn?
We might get an inch or two of snow a year in south east Tennessee, and very few days you "cant" ride due to ice on the road or road salt/sand mix.

Sure it hovers in the 30s-40s for a month or so, but you can still ride for an hour with no electrics, more with them. I usually wear jeans and leather overpants and a tee shirt, fleece pull over and a leather jacket in the winter - I used my electric jacket less then 10 times and drove my truck 15 times in the last year to work. Full Face and a neck gaitor helps alot!

It touches high 90s in the summer for a month or so, we have humidity and stuff, but its nothing like Florida.

North Georgia is nice as well.

If you want the best weather in the country, San Diego is amazing - but its expensive.
tibs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

OLuminous1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best riding weather year round: Vermont (if you don't mind switching to a snowboard for 4 months). For motorcycle only: Hawaii.

Aloha!

6 years ago I gladly traded 12 months per year in FL for 8 months per year in VT - much happier now!
OLuminous1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Still alive

goingsking wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try NJ, 60x90 with 3br house built in 1955. $9,300/year in tax and going up, $250/year to park at the train station, $180/month for the train to NYC and almost $4K for insurance on 2 cars and the bike.....no accidents, no points, $3.89 for a gallon of milk, $7.40/lb for a fair steak !!!!. I to am looking to retire someplace that doesn't cost as much, I want lower taxes, saltwater fishing, good riding, a nice piece of land and the ability to get to an ocean within an hour (just in case of a hurricane). I like Marco Island but can't touch it, Fort Mayers is nice but a lot of people are being shoehorned into that area. Perhaps anoyone from the Panhandle area or north of Tampa, perhaps neighboring states, can point me in the right direction. I will say one good thing about NJ, gas prices are the best
goingsking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Roadie wants to know Dino or Syn?
year round riding!

Many places in the southwest offer year round riding as do many places on the west coast. One of things you are probabily not used to is the change in altitude can really affect riding temperature. For example out in the high desert at 6,000 feet above sea level, it can be 75 or 80 degrees but below 4,000 feel it can easily be above 100 degrees. However, you can use that you your advantage by changing the altitudes you ride at during certain times of the year. Not to mention, the scenery and roads in the southwest are pretty much second to none. It is true, you can in fact ride pretty much year round out here. I manage to put on ove 15,000 miles per year for the last 10 years now. Hope this helps. Ride on
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Cryptoboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would have to say TX or AZ for the most year round riding. CA has some nice weather, but you have to put up with alot more BS in that state. I was stationed there from 96-2001, and couldn't wait to get out! I've been here in Arizona since then, and the only places I would move to from here would be Vegas, Texas (San Antonio probably), or back to Tampa (went to H.S. in Tampa, loved living there!)

Since you are trying to leave FL, that leaves the other recommendations, Phoenix, Vegas, or San Antonio!

GO NOLES!!!!!
Cryptoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.