V-Twin Forum banner

Won't start in cold weather!

8K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Bronxhog 
#1 ·
I am having a problem starting my bike in the colder weather. I changed the battery and put stableizer in it. It starts like a charm in the summer and when the engine is warm. Its not a Harley (actually it is a Honda CBR). Can anyone help me?

#5 ·
Louc said:
I am having a problem starting my bike in the colder weather. I changed the battery and put stableizer in it. It starts like a charm in the summer and when the engine is warm. Its not a Harley (actually it is a Honda CBR). Can anyone help me?

Check with The Bank. They may be able to help you ...

get a loan...

buy a Harley....

problem solved!

LOL! JUst kiddin!

:D

#10 ·
I guess the answer to my problems is buy a Harley. I didn't know that Harley was a maintence-free bike! Thats funny because I was at the Harley dealer 2 weeks ago looking at a sportster and the dealer told me to start it up. Wouldn't you know it , a brand new Sportster with 5 miles on her wouldn't start! Do you know what the dealer told me---Well you know its a Harley!

#13 ·
LouC-Had the same problem with my old '82 CB750. Got lucky and sold it to a dude that adjusted the choke pull button, and put some kind of carb cleaner treatment in the gas tank. That helped it a lot. I'm new here, but these folks are shootin' straight......I'm on a brand new 2003 HD Road King and guess what !? ....... it cranks right up in the cold weather! Worked for me.

#14 ·
Yeah mine stalled the other day right in the middle of the street. So I try in vain to get her going again and all that happens is the friggin' right directional keeps going on and off, duh! Then, miraculously, the directional goes away and the mofo roars to life! Damn, I hate this cold weather!:Dennis

#16 ·
Uh TA! That was a joke! I had thick gloves on and my thumb kept pushing the directional switch instead of the starter button. Duh! (Did I feel like an idiot!)

#18 ·
I am selling the bike on Sunday. That is why I need it to start. I just don't want to look like an idot and not have it start for me. I have this problem every time the weather gets cold. In regular temps it starts up with no problem at all. I really don't want to screw the guy over so I want to fix anything that is wrong with it now. Does this sound like a normal problem with carburated bikes or is there really something wrong? By the way I am selling this bike to purchase a 2003 Dyna Super Glide. I appriciate all the help I am getting (even the ribs!). Thanks All!!

#19 ·
Try a new good set of plugs. I just bought a hotrod sporty and it was about to be killed Sunday when it wouldnt start. It was about 50 out. It started right up when I got it home and it was 32 then.
Anyway it had what looked like new Accel plugs in it. And I fought it about 45 min trying to get it started. Took the plugs out and put in a old set from my bagger and it fired right up. So much for fancy plugs

#23 ·
Spray the shitt out of the carb and choke with starter fluid. Clean air filer and put in new gas and plug. If that doesn't losen the bitchh up then remove the plug and give it a shot of starter fluid to get her started and warm it up before the sucker gets there. Then go buy yer HD and kick the shitt out of it. Good luck.

#24 ·
It needs some lead in it. Take a shotgun and put it next to the carburater and pull the trigger. The blast of lead will fix it once and for all!:D

#25 ·
Those hondas are some cold blooded SOBs. I'm using one as a winter beater right now. Went through the same crap as you are. Clean the Air filter. PM me if you don't know how. Definatly put in new plugs. Clean the carbs. Get rid of the fuel in the tank and replace it with some higher octane fuel. Make sure there is no corosion on the plug wires. Finally, if your leaving it outside over night make sure it is covered by at least a thick blanket and a tarp.

#26 ·
I've got an old Suzuki 850 that was doing the same thing. Turned out that the choke pull had slipped and the choke wasn't engaging fully. Look at where the cable attaches at the carbs and make sure it is closing the choke properly. All the other advice regarding cleaning, plugs, new gas, etc. will help also. Oh yea and get the Harley.......you'll love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.