XENON H4 bulbs : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

geoffreyt wants to know Dino or Syn?
XENON H4 bulbs

I have been looking at the HID lighting systems for my Sportster. I just ran across this offer on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...temZ4565661213 I was hoping to get some comments and insight from "people in the know".
geoffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

SLOWHOUND wants to know Dino or Syn?
Instead of buying a zenon bulb ,locate one of these wagner bp1210/h4 or wagnerbp1213/h4 ,the 1210 bulb is 80w/100w the 1213 is 100w/130w ,they are labeled for off road use only,I have the 1210 in my RK and it is bright enough.
SLOWHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

FredGarvin wants to know Dino or Syn?
maybe I'm stating the obvious, but these bulbs do not give you an HID lighting system. They do produce a "whiter" light, but not necessarily brighter. I've tried these on my car and don't recommend them at all.
FredGarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05fatty
maybe I'm stating the obvious, but these bulbs do not give you an HID lighting system. They do produce a "whiter" light, but not necessarily brighter. I've tried these on my car and don't recommend them at all.
Thats what I was wanting to know. I realized there was no balance involved so HID was out of the picture. I will try the Wagner bulb SWDONAHUE suggests.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDONAHUE
Instead of buying a zenon bulb ,locate one of these wagner bp1210/h4 or wagnerbp1213/h4 ,the 1210 bulb is 80w/100w the 1213 is 100w/130w ,they are labeled for off road use only,I have the 1210 in my RK and it is bright enough.
IM not electrically minded. I assume there is no conflict with current draw with either of these Wagner bulbs. I see its labeled H4.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I just found an interesting discussion as I was looking for the bulbs. http://www.zx-12r.org/Motorcycle_info/Information%20Pages/OK%20how%20did%20the%20Nappa%20ligt%20bulbs%20work %20-%20L_A_%20Busa's.htm
Old 01-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

DrHeathenScum wants to know Dino or Syn?
steer clear of the crap on ebay when it comes to lighting... for your H4, I suggest either s Sylvania/Osram SilverStar or a Phillips VisionPlus (european spec on either, preferrably)

Unless it's a good name brand, like Sylvania, Osram, Wagner, Philips, it's not worth using in your one headlight.

"43" Pantless Assclown
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum
steer clear of the crap on ebay when it comes to lighting... for your H4, I suggest either s Sylvania/Osram SilverStar or a Phillips VisionPlus (european spec on either, preferrably)

Unless it's a good name brand, like Sylvania, Osram, Wagner, Philips, it's not worth using in your one headlight.
I agree. I got 2 Sylvania Silverstar H4 ST Bulbs 60/55 Watts for $27 delivered. I thought that was a real fair price. The color temp is 4000K. The watts are just about what was origional, but the light should be better. The circuit for lights takes a 15 amp fuse. If everything on the bike is on it sucks 12.5 amps so I didnt want to opt for more power.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

TheTick wants to know where he is and how he got here
I've used both the Sylvian and the Philips Extreme White. Both good and bright, but around $15 to $20. Bright at the expense of longevity, about 10k miles from the Sylvian.

I noticed the ebay auction talks about the Kelvin ratings of bulbs, but never mentions what the ones he's selling are rated at
Old 01-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
PIAA 5000K bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDONAHUE
I looked at several set-ups before looking in the V-Twin Mfg. catalog. I put in the 33-0152 lenses (clear H3 halogen units) and replaced the bulbs with PIAA part #70375 model #H-384SE. Then I replaced the head light bulb (H4 bulb) with the PIAA part #70476 model #H383SE. Both these bulbs are rated at 5000K. Now when I drive with my passing lights on people think I have the brights on. Next thing to do will be to change the wires so when I flash the brights that the passing lights don't go off. Don't use the Adjure lenses. They have a gasket you have to use and are often missing them from there packaging. Lense will not fit with out them. The Wagner Lenses are just like the stock ones.

I got the PIAA bulbs from Cyclegadgets.com and the Wagners from my local cycle/chopper shop.

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

adlerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought the xenons from ebay, they were very bright but the low beam on one(I have a RG so two lites) blew out almost right away. They were still really bright. With the Road Glide, you have to take the fairing off to change a bulb (real fukkin smart engineering there!) so I went back to a sylvania for reliability sake
Old 01-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

jasilva wants to know Dino or Syn?
06 Deluxe passing lamps?

Anybody know which bulbs the 06 passing lamps use.?

Joe
Isaiah 6:1-9
jasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Friday1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hid

If you want true HID it will cost a bunch! But it is THE most effective way to be safer on your bike. I have had HID for about 5 years on my turbo Road King. It just takes 35 watts but gives more light than a 100+ watt halogen bulb will! There is no filament but an arc that is passing through a gas filled bulb. The reality of riding in traffic with cages full of cel-phone talkin' idiots is that it is dangerous! I constantly have to remind myself that I am not on my own HID equipped bike when I am test riding a customer's bike. The cagers see me when the HID is on. HID is standard on high end Asian and Euro cars. I am sure you have seen a car approaching with a very bright bluish headlight on. You can pick it out from a long distance. The unit I use is from Xciting Lighting and I had to modify my headlight bucket a little. I wrenched for the Toledo Fire Div. for 30 years before I retired to open a shop with my racing partner. HID is the new standard for scene lighting. A 35 watt HID scene light will make more light than a 750 watt halogen bulb and it can be powered through a 12 volt cigarette lighter receptacle! The 750 watt halogen needs a generator and with water everywhere the potential for electric shock is very real! Oh, and you can put your hand right on the lens of an HID even after it has been on for a while. It is warm but not hot. I am putting pic on here of my bike. Hope this helps, Friday www.dyno-power.com
Old 01-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva
Anybody know which bulbs the 06 passing lamps use.?

Joe
Joe, read my post if you want to change yours. The passing lamps are seal beams. You cannot change the bulb without changing the whole thing.

Bill

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

jasilva wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkohn
Joe, read my post if you want to change yours. The passing lamps are seal beams. You cannot change the bulb without changing the whole thing.

Bill
I thought they changed them in 06? I haven't tried to pull mine apart yet but they don't look like sealed beams from the outside looking thru the lens.

Joe
Isaiah 6:1-9
jasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement