Ultra Classic Speakers : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

OldArmyDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ultra Classic Speakers

Has anyone here ever changed the speakers on their Ultra Classic. I want to add an after market amplifier (probably marine grade) and better quality speakers. I know Harley makes an enhanced sound system upgrade but I still think there's better stuff out there for a better price. MB Quart, Polk Audio, Infinity, something along that line. One person told me that the speakers on the ultra were 5.25 inch, but the front ones look like they might be a little smaller than that. Anyone here on the forum have experience pulling them out. THANKS
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

adlerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Army dude, try a search, alot on here about this, I used Rockford-Fosgates, many use Hogtunes, Polk Infinity and sony are also used alot. Do a search, lots of stuff here....
Old 10-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Ultra RB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Size?

I'm interested in this too. I was looking at a set of Sonys this afternoon ... but wasn't sure on the size since I've never had the front fairing off ...

Are they just a standard 5 1/4" ...? If so there are tons of choices ...

Tx,
'08 Ultra Classic
Black
Ultra RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

adlerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
my road glide uses regular 5.25's pretty sure the flh's use the same. There is said to be some type of ohm issue but never heard of it causing a problem. Do a search here using hogtunes as your keyword, you'll have more info than you could ever want on the topic
Old 10-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanks `

adlerx, Thanks for the tip on hogtunes. Did a few searches. Nothing but rave reviews for the hogtunes speakers and Pez, the guy that sells them out of Canada. Sent him a paypal payment this morning for a full set of 4.

UltraRB, Just my personal opinion but I'd stay away from the Sony's. About a year ago I put about 2k into a stereo system for my truck and as I was doing the research with friends that were into that stuff and folks at stereo shops. Most everyone said steer clear of Sony car audio. Sony makes some top notch stuff no doubt and we've got a lot of Sony around the house that's been nothing but great for many years but I wouldn't go with them on car or motorcycle audio. I'll post a new thread about the hogtunes when they arrive and I've installed them. I'll include in the post size dimensions for the front and rear speakers.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Cool How long ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmyDude
adlerx, Thanks for the tip on hogtunes. Did a few searches. Nothing but rave reviews for the hogtunes speakers and Pez, the guy that sells them out of Canada. Sent him a paypal payment this morning for a full set of 4.

UltraRB, Just my personal opinion but I'd stay away from the Sony's. About a year ago I put about 2k into a stereo system for my truck and as I was doing the research with friends that were into that stuff and folks at stereo shops. Most everyone said steer clear of Sony car audio. Sony makes some top notch stuff no doubt and we've got a lot of Sony around the house that's been nothing but great for many years but I wouldn't go with them on car or motorcycle audio. I'll post a new thread about the hogtunes when they arrive and I've installed them. I'll include in the post size dimensions for the front and rear speakers.
OADude ... I'd also be interested in hearing how log it takes to get them to you ...

And thanks for the info on the Sony's.
'08 Ultra Classic
Black
Old 10-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Just an update. Hogtunes speakers took from Oct. 4th, date of paypal payment to Oct. 12th to receive. Pretty good turn around from Canada to Nevada. Packaging is great! Very little likelyhood that they'd get damaged in shipment. Haven't had time to put them in yet but they look like quality speakers. Not sure why rear speakers have a smaller magnet than fronts. Maybe a fitment issue. If fitment wasn't an issue I think I would have purchased 4 fronts just for those big ass powerful looking magnets. Serius system, radar detector and hogtunes will get installed tommorow.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

01FLHT4ME wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

I don't know that I would say the Sony's are bad.. I did allot of searching and reading and don't recall reading anything negative about Sony's here on this site.

I ended up installing a Sony deck and speakers in my EG and am VERY Happy with the decision. I also purchased the Biketronics kit that lets you integrate a Sony deck to use the Harley controls.

My advice is to do a search on this site and spend some time reading on the subject, and don't take one persons word about a certain product (including mine).

Good luck with your decision.

2014 FLHXS
01FLHT4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Hogtunes Update. Installed the rear pod speakers last night. Very easy install and the new chrome trim rings from HD spice up the appearance a little. Sound quality on the the hogtunes is as expected, awesome. A little more bass would be nice. I guess I'm just accustomed to my truck system with sub woofer and 6.5 speakers. I ask pez via email about the difference in magnet size from fronts and rears and it is a fitment issue. After hearing the rears with the slightly smaller magnets it's still a huge improvement over the stock speakers. For anyone interested here's something kind of cool.

eglidegoodies.com

They sell a modified rear pod replacement that will accept 6.5 speakers. I'll stick with my hogtunes for now. The site has some other pretty cool stuff on it too.

01FLHTFORME, Glad you're enjoying your Sony stuff. Very cool about the biketronics deal. I'd never heard of that. Good advise you gave too. I'm only one opinion. I sure hope someone isn't going to make their purchasing decision on just one opinion.

Respects to all.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Question

Quote:
Hogtunes Update. Installed the rear pod speakers last night. Very easy install and the new chrome trim rings from HD spice up the appearance a little. Sound quality on the the hogtunes is as expected, awesome. A little more bass would be nice. I guess I'm just accustomed to my truck system with sub woofer and 6.5 speakers. I ask pez via email about the difference in magnet size from fronts and rears and it is a fitment issue. After hearing the rears with the slightly smaller magnets it's still a huge improvement over the stock speakers. For anyone interested here's something kind of cool.

eglidegoodies.com

They sell a modified rear pod replacement that will accept 6.5 speakers. I'll stick with my hogtunes for now. The site has some other pretty cool stuff on it too.
Hey, thanks for the update ... have you installed the fronts yet? How'd the install go? Sound?

Thanks
'08 Ultra Classic
Black
Old 10-17-2005, 01:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

UltraRB,

Just finished the front install this morning. Had to leave it sit overnight because I also put in a serius satellite system and siliconed the antenna to mount it. The front install was actually easier than the rears once I took the fairing off. We went on a short 120 mile ride today and I got to listen to them at crusing speeds. At 85 mph I could still hear them clearly without the volume all the way up. I could also hear them just fine over my buddies thunderheader exhaust when he was in front of me. I used probably 75-80% of the volume to hear them at a loud enough volume where before I often had it cranked all the way. The clarity and volume going down the highway is superior to the factory speakers. Best $200 I've spent on the bike. There might be some other speakers out there that sound as good or maybe better but I love the hogtunes and there's no one out there offering speakers with a 20 year warranty. A+ for Pez and the hogtunes speakers. The dimensions are 5 1/4 inches measuring from center of mounting hole to mounting hole diagonally across speaker. I'm not sure about mounting depth. I could probably find out if someone ask me to or needs the information.

Hope the information is helpful.
Respects to all
Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks ...

Quote:
UltraRB,

Just finished the front install this morning. Had to leave it sit overnight because I also put in a serius satellite system and siliconed the antenna to mount it. The front install was actually easier than the rears once I took the fairing off. We went on a short 120 mile ride today and I got to listen to them at crusing speeds. At 85 mph I could still hear them clearly without the volume all the way up. I could also hear them just fine over my buddies thunderheader exhaust when he was in front of me. I used probably 75-80% of the volume to hear them at a loud enough volume where before I often had it cranked all the way. The clarity and volume going down the highway is superior to the factory speakers. Best $200 I've spent on the bike. There might be some other speakers out there that sound as good or maybe better but I love the hogtunes and there's no one out there offering speakers with a 20 year warranty. A+ for Pez and the hogtunes speakers. The dimensions are 5 1/4 inches measuring from center of mounting hole to mounting hole diagonally across speaker. I'm not sure about mounting depth. I could probably find out if someone ask me to or needs the information.

Hope the information is helpful.
Respects to all
Hey, thanks for the info ... just what I was looking for. I'm going to replace mine .. I'll probably go with the Hogtunes, everyone seems to like them.

Thanks again, good riding to you.
'08 Ultra Classic
Black
Old 10-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

and to your sir.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
FNG :)

larryvj wants to know Dino or Syn?
2006 Ultra Speakers

All 4 stock HD speakers are now marked 2 ohm on the 2006 Ultra. I tried the sony X-Pod speakers (4 ohm) and they were not as loud as the stock speakers. I was not aware that the 2006 speakers were 2 ohm until I tried the Sony speakers. Maybe Hogtunes will market a 2 ohm speaker that is better than stock for the 2006 models.
larryvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, I installed my fronts tonight. Easy as pie, and boy do they sound good!
Of course, the rears have to wait until tomorrow. WHO the hell has a T10 Torx laying around, anyway? One didn't come in either set I've got, so I'll snag one tomorrow on the way home from work.
Minor rant:
Ever replace a bulb in a frickin' 2" gauge (like the fuel gauge) on your bike only to find that the new bulb is only HALF as brite as the others? @#$%&*!!!
This was only noticed after I put the fairing back together and torqued everything to spec.

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/

Last edited by MegaGlide; 10-19-2005 at 10:42 PM.
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement