Best shorty/half helmet? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
ftw
Banned

ftw wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best shorty/half helmet?

Anybody got a reccomendation on what's the best looking and fitting and protective shorty/half helmet? I was just getting ready to order a Bikers Choice skid lid and stumbled onto some reviews about them, everybody said they were junk? whats better?
ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
D_T
Renegade

D_T wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you mentioned "fit" you hit the nail on the head, so to speak. A poor fitting helmet can be anything from a pain to downright dangerous.
Every make and model fits a little differently. This is one item to get "live" and forget about the internet discount.

As for looks, that's kinda up to you, huh?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

rc2004 wants to know Dino or Syn?
advanced carbon composite has a new DOT helmet that is awesome.
rc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

hanibal wants to know Dino or Syn?
My preferred lid

Best I have found for fitup
Price was around $150 but what's yer head worth.
(don't ask my girl !!)

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Goes with the carbon fiber stuff I make at work

"I am the "Kid" my mom warned me about"
hanibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
ftw
Banned

ftw wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are the Simpon shorty or Shoei st-cruz helmets good?
ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

engine23 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Will carbon fiber scratch when bouncing around in a hard saddle bag....need a small DOT helmit for trips to through states that require them
engine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Vagrant

HD-LUX wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did a brief review of the Shoei St. Cruz. I love mine. Here's the VTF link to the review. Not much. That carbon fiber DOT looks awsome. I'm gonna trade up!

Are you a Ducking Foof?
HD-LUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Malpaso wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T
Every make and model fits a little differently. This is one item to get "live" and forget about the internet discount.
Precisely. A friend of mine bought a helmet over the internet that was the exact make model and size that she tried on in a store and it didn't fit at all.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Loch wants to know Dino or Syn?
Anything is possible, but I bought a HD half helmet on ebay and saved about $70. I went to the local stealership and tried on two different HD models of half helmets and large was the size that fit. Went on ebay and picked out the helmet I liked and selected large and had it a few days later. Fits just like the ones in the store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EOAB%3AUS%3A51

Last edited by Loch; 05-10-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Girthquake wants to know Dino or Syn?
i got an hci-100 for 40 bucks and its pretty low profile for a DOT helmet. It feels good to me and is pretty light. you can see a ton of them on ebay. my local shop had them so i was able to try them on.
Girthquake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

hanibal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had my Carbon Fiber helmet since last summer.
Unlike the paint job on std helmets, the Carbon Fiber is impregnated with epoxy resin. Sorta has a smooth hard surface with clear finish. Unless you get ones with slight color in "em.
I was concerned about size because I have a nice round "Punkin-Head" Sorta lumpy in spots (from a bat, but thats another story)
I called carbonfiberhelemts.com and they gave me a local vendor in Gig Harbor, WA. He did a test by loading it with bricks and dropping it from the ceiling of his HD repair shop. No damage, so he kept it as his own and became a dealer. Could of had fracture cracks because the test was not scientific, but I was convinced this helmet was better than the $50 copies.

"I am the "Kid" my mom warned me about"
hanibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

supersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got a Simpson Shorty. The fit could be better but when I tried one on at the dealership a year or so before the large fit perfectly. They were then made in USA. When I got mine for free, (long story) I found it to be made in China and the fit less appropriate. I've only logged a couple hundred miles with it so far and it seems to be slowly conforming to my block head but not as comfortable as the old USA variant, (big surprise!) or my old black/silver flame H-D by HJC. I may check out the aformentioned carbon fiber brain scab and see how that fits my melon.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Vagrant

HD-LUX wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought an H-D System Full Face helmet once. Glad I didn't pay the full $275 price tag! It said "HJC" on the tag inside. Seems the same exact helmet as the $175 HJC Symax but with a $8.95 H-D sticker up front. Look close before you buy and compare is all I'm saying.

Are you a Ducking Foof?
HD-LUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Ultra04 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seer

I have three. I have a Shoie full face in winter. A 3/4 HD lid with my intercome installed for when wife rides with me and my favorite when I do not want the intercom or CB but like the lightness and ease of listening to radio through speakers is my S1602 Half Helmet made by Seer. You can order it with the options you like and color or brim or none. The type of liner. Mine is just Velcro pads that come with it to make custom fit. Very cool in summer and is DOT. Also it does not sit on top your head like a mushroom. Here is the link. http://www.superseer.com/default.asp
Ultra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

69 Z-28 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an Advanced Carbon Composites DOT helmet also in Black Candy. Beautiful helmet and by far the most comfortable I've ever worn. Friend of mine also got one and said in his 30 years of biking, it's the best he's ever owned. The link to their site is in a previous message. I don't think it will scratch any easier than any other helmet. It's made of some type of resin that feels very hard. Info with the helmet says scratches can be removed with 1200 grit sandpaper, I think it was.

Last edited by 69 Z-28; 05-11-2005 at 12:26 PM.
69 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement