Best trailer to tow my bike IN ... : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2004, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Ultra RB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Best trailer to tow my bike IN ...

I'm about to buy a cargo trailer to tow my bike in ...

I have been looking at 6' x 10' enclosed cargo trailers with the ramp doors ... Wells Cargo, Interstate, etc ...

I would be towing it with my Toyota pickup, 4x4 (V-6).

Any opinions on the best type/brand of trailer to buy?

Any hints from those of you that have done a lot of trailer towing on trips? Things to take? Things not to take?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

AngryAmerican wants to know Dino or Syn?
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45520

If I were you, I would rent a 6X10 and load up my bike and tow it around, up and down some hills and around some corners. I had a Toyota truck and I don't know that it would have done very well with a 6X10 with my bike in it. You may find that you would do better to have a 5X10 or 5X8 (assuming your bike will fit).
Old 10-16-2004, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

tmsimmon wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a Kendon fold up and I woun'nt trade it for nothing... slides up against my wall in the garage and hauls like a dream... you barley feel it behind you and I use a Chevy Colorado to haul my FLHTCi... so it works very well. If you have room for the larger trailers, then go for it, but I don't and I have several friends with the big trailers... but people always seem to want to borrow my trailer...

Tim
tmsimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Wind wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do you plan to always travel alone? If you ever have a buddy with you, and his bike, the 5 x 10 won't work. Go bigger. 7 feet wide and 12 feet long. You might have to get a bigger truck. There are plenty that will work. Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, American made trucks.

Last edited by Wind; 10-16-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
sovereignty and secession

jrafter wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind
Do you plan to always travel alone? If you ever have a buddy with you, and his bike, the 5 x 10 won't work. Go bigger. 7 feet wide and 12 feet long. You might have to get a bigger truck. There are plenty that will work. Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, American made trucks.

Does the spending ever end.......LOL
jrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Terrya12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi Ultra. I used to live on Vancouver Island (Victoria). The best riding is on the west coast and I am looking to move into the Okanogan this spring from the prairies. Been here for three years and it sucks. Today its snowing, thats right the S word. Anyway why are you looking for a trailer when you have the best touring machine made to date? If its because you need to take more gear with you why not look at a trailer the bike can pull. Just wondering.

Oh yeah and when I moved to the plains from the island I rented a U-Haul inclosed, single axle. It was 8' long and 5' wide if I remember. I towed it over the mountians on the Trans Canada with my 91 gmc sonoma, 4cyl, 5spd. No problems and I had the truck box loaded with canopy and the trailer had crap stuffed on both sides of the bike. Some of the grades slowed me down but all in all it was OK.
Tip: If you rent one from U-Haul for a test don't tell them you are moving a bike or they will refuse you. They only want furniture in them or boxes not leaking bikes, thats a quote. I just went down the road to the next rental place and got one.

Last edited by Terrya12; 10-16-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Terrya12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Barrier wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi Ultra, I bought a Haulmark 5x10 to trailer my Road King. Went to Sturgis this summer worked great. Make sure you get the ramp door and added height. I can drive right up with the windshield on, and just roll back to get out. I ordered one with rear stabilizers so you can load and unload without being attached to the Tow vehicle. I towed behind a Motorhome but I have also used a Chevy Caprice and Jeep Cherokee to tow with. All vehicles pulled perfectly no sway etc etc. Make sure you get a good wheel chock to hold the front tire.
I was going to originally use an open trailer but someone on the Forum mentioned that the trailer served as an enclosed private garage, I am glad I went with the Enclosed Trailer, my Bike lives in it, secure and safe from my messy garage.
A 5x10 is really only good for one bagger, but it is easier to tow. Although you could fit a 2nd bike without bags by backing it in I imagine it would be a b*tch to push it up the ramp.
Good Luck
Barrier
Old 10-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrafter
Does the spending ever end.......LOL
Do you own a Harley??????

Old 10-16-2004, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
PHUCKING BIKER!

tequacha wants to know where he is and how he got here
trailering your harley is a sickness. for help dial 1-800- scared to ride
tequacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Nightboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ill also have to 2nd the Kendon foldup trailer. It will haul 2 large dresser HD's and its torsion suspension is 2nd to none. Went over the GW bridge multiple times with bikes loaded on. The suspension took up ALL the road craters and impacts with the bikes themselves securely in place completely free of the torture the trailer soaked up. Super low COG for superior stability in tight fast turns surprisingly. Well designed trailer. Best $1600 I have spent or em..
Nightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequacha
trailering your harley is a sickness. for help dial 1-800- scared to ride
Not completely true. Sometimes, a trailer lets the bike go on family trips when it wouldn't have normally gone. In other words, I have a wife and two kids, and a bike. We don't all fit on the bike.....................
Old 10-16-2004, 10:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsimmon
I have a Kendon fold up

You live in sunny CA. We are in the NW in the rain forest...................
Old 10-16-2004, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Terrya12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
TEQUACHA I kind of agree with you on that however its their money.
Angry I have never towed my ride to any family vacation and I'm married with two kids and a dog. The way I see it is if I towed the bike on vacation with us, well I would do the riding and would have to keep coming back for the next rider. Sometimes it gets to be abit much when at home because they all love to ride. I take my seperate vacations with the bike and get my fill. When with the family the bike stays home and they have my full undivided attention. If it was just me and my wife then its saddle up and lets go. Thats what its all about in my opinion but as I said earlier everyone follows their own agendas and thats cool with me.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
PHUCKING BIKER!

tequacha wants to know where he is and how he got here
Ive lived all over the u.s. Ive found that when its snowy or icey, its not a good time to ride. It kinda makes me wonder, when I go to a run, be it Daytona, Sturgis, Laughflin, Four Corners even Az. Bike week and see all the people, singles, couples, looking perfectly healthy, hauling dressers and such. some time there is no place to park a bike due to all the trucks and trailers, I wonder what the motor cycle scene has come to. The good thing about all the wanna be bikers, is that the police dont seem to hassle real riders as much due to they dont know who they are stoppin, cause all the posers, tryin look all hard core and sh!t.All the posers know who they are. thats what they are into so be it, they are how ever entertainment. People who ride know who they are, and I have a hard time believein, you that do ride every where, havent had the same thoughts.
tequacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Well I guess that I am just not as badass as you......................

w/e

The Poser.............................
Advertisement