V-Twin Forum banner

My Sportster is super thirsty

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MilesToGo 
#1 ·
I just measured how much my sportster consumes and it is devastating

I have 2000 sportster with Buell Machine, so it is faster

I just measured today it consumes 8,8 liters per 100 kmh

My Ford mondeo consumes around 6 liters....

That is why I was always at gas station filing p my bike

What to do, can it be tweaked in some way?

#2 ·
In gallons that's approximately 28 miles per gallon. You say that "I have 2000 sportster with Buell Machine, so it is faster" so I'm wondering if it's faster when you're grabbing a bunch of throttle.
Faster equals more fuel. Especially if you're like most of us on here who like to go fast.

#5 ·
Bikes are not always the best use of fuel. Sportsters with the smaller motor are probably better then the big twins/

I would also ask if it is set up properly for the altitude where you are at.

#6 ·
My Sportster would use a lot of fuel when I was on the highway because at 75+ it was always over 3000 RPM.

32 does not sounds too far off. I used to get 140 miles out of a 3.2 gal tank when it would start to sputter.

I always looked for a gas station between 100 - 110 miles.

Bottom line is if you do the math mine got about the same. It was a 1200

#7 ·
i did not know my little sportster would drink more than a car....
quite impossible.....
The bike is much lighter, smaller, not so fast and still my car consumes less gasoline....
I was thinking it would consume half as much as car not vice versa.....

#10 ·
Some cars get 20 mpg, others get 50. More to it then weight.

I would check to see that it is set up for your altitude. I would also look at a few gas tanks, not just one, if that is what you did.

#9 ·
My 883 gets 50 mpg. Doesn't matter if it's 70 down the interstate or 50-60 on the back roads with some city mixed in.

And normally I drive it like I stole it.

#11 ·
Lots of variables, like tuning, speed, heavy throttle. A properly tuned sportster of this year should average over 40 mpg. If it has Buell heads then it will more powerful due to the increase flow but that also sacrifices fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.