V-Twin Forum banner

Driver back rest, anyone use one?

5K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  handyguy 
#1 · (Edited)
When I'm cruise'n along on my '99 RK my lower back will begin to get a bit tired or sore fairly quickly (had lower back surgery about 15 yrs. ago). To help the ol' back, I plan to get rid of the beach bars and install higher handle bars. I was also thinking about installing a drivers back rest, thinking that might remind me or make me sit up straighter.

Can't say for sure but I don't believe anyone makes a driver back rest add on that will work with my stock seat. At least I haven't found one on the web. And to replace the RK seat with one that will accept a driver back rest isn't cheap, so thought I'd throw this out to the board and ask for some info before I part with a pile of $$ for this.

So, who has/uses one? Experience and or thoughts on a driver back rest is appreciated :)

#39 ·
I had a Corbin solo seat with a back rest on my last bike (Superglide) and I was uncomfortable as hell but it was not adjustable. You might find that a backrest is not the all-in-one solution. Handlebar and foot placement can also add to back trouble in some cases.

Buddy of mine had forward controls put on and spent one season not being able to ride more than 60 miles without being in pain. Put the old controls back on and no more back problems. Maybe a different seat or backrest might have also helped but he knew the controls moving a few inches started it all.

#41 ·
A lot of people say that because it's the first time they've ever sat on a bike with proper posture

#43 ·
I had one on my '99 Electra Glide and now have it on my '14 Limited. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Bought the mount and pad on eBay for my '99 EG and saved some serious $$. Had to buy a new mount for my current ride, and the pad fit perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.